Auction: IBM PS/2 Model 90 XP-386 Vintage Computer RARE Personal System W/ Cards NO OS

Tomas Slavotinek

Sep 7, 2022, 11:50:34 AM9/7/22
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165661596923

Type 0 complex (w/ cache)
Long 16/4 Token Ring adapter
Spock (the old single oscillator version it seems)

Single memory riser, no air baffle, no fan - all normal for the special
bid XP 386 models.

The SCSI adapter is not seated correctly, which may be the reason for
the I9990022 "IML not found error". (Not sure if it has a hard drive...)

Bay A and B bezels are slightly less yellowed than the rest of the
machine. But looks clean otherwise...

Bids only. No affiliation.

richard smice

Sep 7, 2022, 4:43:58 PM9/7/22

richard smice

Sep 7, 2022, 4:44:15 PM9/7/22

richard smice

Sep 7, 2022, 5:06:14 PM9/7/22
A lot of these were sold to MCI World Com; when they were on top of the world..
Just a basic low end network machine. I got a truck load of them before world com
fell to the wolves.. None of them was ever loaded with memory or any upgrades..
But still they are unique as they were 386's Rare for model 90's with the 386 logo on the cover.
In the basement of their headquarters in Chicago there were rooms full of them .
along with monitors and keyboards mice. etc. No clones allowed..all had xga monitors though. blue label
I pulled a about 50+ ... 95 servers as well. Most of them I have scrapped out.

Tomas Slavotinek

Sep 7, 2022, 7:47:25 PM9/7/22
Yea, looks like IBM sold a lot of these to WorldCom, Aetna, Royal Bank
and possibly some other big names...

Interesting, so they all had just the SCSI adapter and complex? No
network adapters or mainframe connectivity of any kind?

Louis Ohland

Sep 8, 2022, 7:51:18 AM9/8/22
Loaded? Like staggering out of the bar?

It would be odd to findt a -402 with more than 8MB in one riser.

Makes me wonder. If they had Rolmphones on a CBX, they wouldn't need a
network. Since I've never seen a 244 or ANY Rolmphone, I dinna ken.

Industrial Dave wrote:> None of them was ever loaded with memory or any
upgrades..

richard smice

Sep 8, 2022, 7:31:14 PM9/8/22
Lorenzo Malicone had weitek coprocessor. In one of these and he had sent me benchmark tests..results
It would squack like a chicken with it up and running right...
Has anyone heard from him lately ?

Tomas Slavotinek

Sep 9, 2022, 10:04:56 AM9/9/22
https://ardent-tool.com/90/Model_90_T0.html

And yep, Lor is still around...

Louis Ohland

Sep 9, 2022, 10:21:03 AM9/9/22
ID, was that "loaded" as in -NO- memory, or was that "loaded" as in BOTH
risers filled?

The Type 0 has an odd quirk where it supports 4x 2MB 80nS FPM on -only-
J11 (riser closest to Complex). Oddly, the BIOS clearly identifies all 8
SIMM sockets. I wish it would support BOTH J11 and J14, then we would
have 16 screaming Mega Bytes. Get rid of the memory expansion adapters.

Some broken down drunk wrote:
> It would be odd to findt a -402 with more than 8MB in one riser.

Tomas Slavotinek

Sep 9, 2022, 10:52:41 AM9/9/22
That's a limitation of the used memory controller most likely. The Type
0 boards use the same support logic as the M70/P70 Type 2 planars. So, 4
slots, 2MB SIMMs max, and fixed timing (afaik)...

I'll have to get myself one of these puppies and verify all this
(together with the ROM-based Stage 2 POST).

It can still read the PD values for all 8 slots because that info is
accessed through the channel/planar I/O bus, rather than the memory
interface.