New MCA cards

richard smice

Sep 21, 2022, 11:46:47 AM9/21/22
It would be nice if someone would make a very good higher end,
Microchannel video card, True color... much better than an old XGA.
that will work in a DOS or Early Windows or OS2 System.

look at what has happened with the over priced sound cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295205750976?hash=item44bba248c0:g:xIsAAOSwv4xjGR2f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoFGOF9Tl0IohSAxby7Fm3IKFqacu01kX4exxIQbpkVwCw9cv8pENABQTM0Qnn%2Fii57o3zWyWkTzWIy6IelrSnWi74YMDg9fS2YiR2nQeVOOrgbz6FGQWXHAOdSo%2Bncn4BcHOu87%2FNNIx6jiwTmrtL35mwYcuhOjjyA4zxaivIWswwfyGTFanT%2FXr%2FuR4sO5f76gKH%2FJ6YmsB03sg4c9a3z0%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-jR_orsYA

The workmanship is very near perfect..
I do not think that the "Snark barker" was ever made for a MCA machine..

Without a team of employees..

Kevin Bowling

Sep 21, 2022, 12:15:04 PM9/21/22
The thing to do is put a relatively powerful FPGA on a board.

https://github.com/rdolbeau/SBusFPGA
https://github.com/rdolbeau/NuBusFPGA

Check the pictures directory in both.

richard smice

Sep 21, 2022, 2:50:00 PM9/21/22
Beating a dead horse that can come back to life for gamesters and collectors..
A usb adapter card would be welcome as well....
Even if it were slow as long as it had some drivers for dos, windows os/2 would be very welcome.

I think that there will be some "reman" game port cards soon ; as well..

richard smice

Sep 21, 2022, 2:53:43 PM9/21/22
On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 12:15:04 PM UTC-4, Kevin Bowling wrote:
I miss Oland's pictures of "Brittany" the rocket wonder dog.....
Whatever happened to her?

Louis Ohland

Sep 21, 2022, 4:01:54 PM9/21/22
Bird season is this weekend. Been cutting Honeysuckle and Buckthorn,
making paths through it.

Ben and Belle are both frenzied when it comes to loading up for a run.

richard smice

Sep 21, 2022, 4:22:49 PM9/21/22
Still What happened to brittany

I* know that you and all of us loved her

richard smice

Sep 21, 2022, 4:25:29 PM9/21/22
On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 4:01:54 PM UTC-4, Louis Ohland wrote:
We all need to see another majestic great picture of her..
and the newbies as well on the tool site

right up there with bill gates and perhaps NOW Putin.. LOL

richard smice

Sep 22, 2022, 8:37:58 AM9/22/22
The bill gates and the Nazi flag was a nice touch...LOL

OK here is another bull for the corral

https://muzeuldecalculatoare.ro/2018/01/30/ibm-aix-workstation-7011-250-bull-dpx-20-100/

A risc mca work station

Tomas Slavotinek

Sep 25, 2022, 4:44:15 PM9/25/22
On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 2:37:58 PM UTC+2, richard smice wrote:
> The bill gates and the Nazi flag was a nice touch...LOL

Well, that's the kind of stuff I've purposely purged from the website. I'm not the most "politically correct" individual, but I tend to keep that kind of stuff to myself or to more private channels. The Ardent Tool is a public resource with a very specific technical focus... it doesn't meld well with politics, religion, hate, etc., in my opinion. You may say the website feels sterile, but I think it's probably better that way. I don't wanna discourage visitors from browsing the pages and finding whatever they may be looking for by forcing my personal opinions and beliefs onto them. People take stuff way too seriously these days... and I guess I do too when it comes to my work and projects.

Most of the spicy content was kinda irrelevant from today's perspective anyway. Sure, Microsoft was pretty nasty in the '90s (especially with their "embrace extend extinguish" practices), but compared to some of today's giants, they are almost saint... /rant

Anyway, I used to update the index page with a "Video Of The Day", but there wasn't much IBM/MCA-related production lately, afaik.

If Louis wants to send me a photo of Ben 'n Belle (maybe together with their master?) I'd gladly put it up there. Perhaps for the next birthday? :)

richard smice

Sep 28, 2022, 11:27:28 AM9/28/22
I understand your library aprooch . BUT It is still Louis's initial site. I often looked forward to his personalized views and dogs , hunting, wilderness, pictures,etc.. SHOW SOME RESPECT for all that he has done for us... and what he believed in..
As well as Don Peter's site "The Enthusiasts...." We all live in a scared ,sissy, gay, extremists, gender, uncertain rainbow candy coated world now days. with nobody to stand up for..what they believe to be right and wrong..or what they believe in.
Perhaps there should be a section on how Louis is doing and his opinions and pictures , A section that would be very welcome to me and very many others... and nobody could click on it if they didn't want to..
I doubt that any one on here would ever be offended. " It is after all, "the Ardent tool "
In itself affending to some.. The less Ardent..

Tomas Slavotinek

Sep 28, 2022, 1:52:08 PM9/28/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 5:27:28 PM UTC+2, richard smice wrote:
> I understand your library aprooch . BUT It is still Louis's initial site. I often looked forward to his personalized views and dogs , hunting, wilderness, pictures,etc.. SHOW SOME RESPECT for all that he has done for us... and what he believed in..
> As well as Don Peter's site "The Enthusiasts...." We all live in a scared ,sissy, gay, extremists, gender, uncertain rainbow candy coated world now days. with nobody to stand up for..what they believe to be right and wrong..or what they believe in.
> Perhaps there should be a section on how Louis is doing and his opinions and pictures , A section that would be very welcome to me and very many others... and nobody could click on it if they didn't want to..
> I doubt that any one on here would ever be offended. " It is after all, "the Ardent tool "
> In itself affending to some.. The less Ardent..
Oh, you would be surprised. There already was plenty of tension over some of the "off-topic" content, even within the inner circle...

I'm in touch with Louis, and we share daily/weekly updates via more direct and private means. I imagine the same is true for most other people that care about him. I don't mind posting snippets from his life on the index page, but it's not my call really. Or I can link to his alt. page (http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohland/) where he has absolute creative freedom.. :)

I wasn't here back in the early days, but I have respect not only for Louis and Peter, but also for David, Tim, William, and all the other big names that were essential for getting the hobby to where it is now. Without them, there would be no PS/2 community most likely - not as we know it anyway.