IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-071) restoration

Grant Taylor

Mar 9, 2023, 11:20:48 AM3/9/23

I acquired an IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-071) today and am looking for
advice on what I should do to check it out before, during, and after
applying power for the first time.

I'll try to get some pictures if anyone is interested.

The label near the power switch says that it's an 8580-071. I have no
idea how that compares to the hardware that's in it.

There are two full size (5¼) hard drives, the controller card. I don't
know what type of drives they are yet, they look to be MFM / RLL like in
that they have the common cable and a per drive cable.

There is a video card that has a daughter-card in the same slot like a
thick sandwich.

There is another card that I don't recognize. The card doesn't have any
external connectors and it looks like it takes multiple (approximately
4"x4") daughter-cards. I am wondering if this is a memory expansion of
some sort.

There are two of what I believe are the memory boards between the back
hard drive and the power supply.

The battery is still in the system, but I didn't see any corrosion and
it's away from the motherboard.

There is also the degrading black foam used for air ducting. Blech.

Q: What things should I do as part of checking out this system. I'd
like to eventually power it up and see what is on the drives (if they
will spin).

I need to physically clean it with a damp rag and get some pictures of
the system.

Please share any pro-tips / gotchas / etc. that you think I could
benefit from knowing.

Thank you and have a good day.

N.B. I've posted this message a few different places. I'm adding it to
comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Louis Ohland

Mar 9, 2023, 12:23:16 PM3/9/23
https://www.ardent-tool.com/memory/IBM_386_Expansion.html

So, do you have any difficult questions?

Louis Ohland

Mar 9, 2023, 12:25:46 PM3/9/23

Grant Taylor

Mar 9, 2023, 1:48:05 PM3/9/23
On 3/9/23 10:23 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
> https://www.ardent-tool.com/memory/IBM_386_Expansion.html

Thank you for the links Louis.

> So, do you have any difficult questions?

I think the most urgent question is, what should I check out /before/
powering the system on?

Do I need to disconnect the power supply and power it on by itself
(assuming that's possible) and take voltage readings /before/ I power up
the system plainer?

I assume that I should remove any and all MCA cards & drives for the
first power up.

Are there any recommendations about powering up the drives? Should I do
power them up out of the system on a known good power supply?

If possible, please provide a brief description of the sequence of
things that you would go through to check the system out from a free
craigslist as part of first power up.

Grant Taylor

Mar 10, 2023, 3:47:46 PM3/10/23
On 3/9/23 9:20 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> I acquired an IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-071) today and am looking for
> advice on what I should do to check it out before, during, and after
> applying power for the first time.

After many comments here and elsewhere indicating that nothing should
smoke, I went ahead and powered the system on.

No smoke!

But no beep nor video output nor keyboard LED activity either. (From
known working monitor and keyboard.)

It did sound like both drives spun up without a problem.

I suspect that I'm going to need to take the thing fully apart and clean
it and re-assemble it.

I may need to end up acquiring / building the parallel port diagnostic
light (LED) adapter to see if I'm getting /anything/ out of the system
plainer or if it is truly only power to peripherals.

Thank you all for the comments. If there is interest, I'll share
pictures later.

IBMMuseum

Mar 13, 2023, 1:55:23 AM3/13/23
> The label near the power switch says that it's an 8580-071. I have
> no idea how that compares to the hardware that's in it.
>
> There are two full size (5¼) hard drives, the controller card. I don't
> know what type of drives they are yet, they look to be MFM / RLL
> like in that they have the common cable and a per drive cable.

Late to the party - an 8580-071 should be ESDI, and there are all kids of qualifiers there: https://www.ardent-tool.com/storage/ESDI.html

RickE

Mar 19, 2023, 1:42:32 PM3/19/23
On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 1:55:23 AM UTC-4, IBMMuseum wrote:

> Late to the party - an 8580-071 should be ESDI, and there are all kids of qualifiers there: https://www.ardent-tool.com/storage/ESDI.html

I'm arriving even later to the party, I assume that all of the cake has been consumed. The video card is likely a 8514/A. Pictures would be nice. With regards to the "apparently dead" system board, my usual approach would be:

1) Check each voltage rail. Since the hard drives are spinning up, you probably don't have a shorted tantalum capacitor and you probably have both +5 and +12 VDC, but you want to check anyway and make sure that each is within 10%. All you need is a multimeter for this step.

2) Check the POWER GOOD signal from the PSU... if it doesn't go high (5V), the system board isn't going to start POST.

3) Check the RESET signal on the CPU, it should go low briefly after POWER GOOD is asserted, then go high so that the CPU will start executing POST.

4) Check the data and address bus signals for activity on the CPU, you'll need a logic probe or oscilloscope.

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 19, 2023, 9:33:33 PM3/19/23
On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 10:42:31 -0700 (PDT), RickE <ekb...@vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:
Try it with all the cards out, cables unplugged and no memory.
If you think it is getting to POST and it never gets far enough to
beep, swap the CPU chip.
A CE would throw a system board at it.

Grant Taylor

Mar 19, 2023, 9:50:39 PM3/19/23
On 3/19/23 7:32 PM, gfre...@aol.com wrote:
> Try it with all the cards out, cables unplugged and no memory.

I did and it didn't do anything different.

> If you think it is getting to POST and it never gets far enough to
> beep, swap the CPU chip.

I'll have to find a CPU to test in it.

For some reason, I also thought the CPU was soldered onto the system
board. Or is that different in different models of PS/2?

I think there are some PS/2s with CPUs on a daughter board, but that's
not this system.

> A CE would throw a system board at it.

Ya. I don't currently have that luxury.

IBMMuseum

Mar 20, 2023, 10:52:44 AM3/20/23
> I'll have to find a CPU to test in it.
>
> For some reason, I also thought the CPU was soldered onto
> the system board. Or is that different in different models of PS/2?

The 8580-071 should be a "Type 1" planar: https://www.ardent-tool.com/8580/Planar_T1.html

386DX-16, although you should be able to plug in any 386DX-pinout CPU to have it work.