Take good care of your 9-Ks (leaking SMD capacitors on 10/100 Mbps Ethernet)

Christian Holzapfel

Mar 23, 2023, 8:24:48 AM3/23/23
If you own 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (9-K) and (9-Q) adapters in your closets or RS/6000s, you will want to replace the SMD capacitors on the RX/TX daughter cards.
I just repaired a few of them, and although they look okay from the outside and work fine, the caps are all gooey underneath. I promise, they are all d00med.

Loosen the 4 Philips screws from the base board and clip off the daughter card.
Then replace the 5x 22 uF / 16 V and 2x 10 uF / 16 V SMD caps with any modern type of same or higher voltage.