Ahh-Choo! I have the NIFLs! [struggling for network support under AIX 1.3]

Louis Ohland

Nov 29, 2021, 11:53:10 AM11/29/21
WD 80x3 Under AIX
https://ardent-tool.com/AIX_1-3/AIX_and_WD80x3.html

/usr/nifl/wd

Folks, can we get the said directory? It might involve installing /
compiling or whatever. It would be nice to understand this well enough
to hack in a 3C529....

https://ardent-tool.com/AIX_1-3/AIX_Install_Networking.html

Mentions the 3C523
https://ardent-tool.com/AIX_1-3/AIX_NICs.html

Anthony

Nov 29, 2021, 12:50:11 PM11/29/21
I think I have this directory on my install. I went looking for the 3Com drivers (I have a 3C529-TP unfortunately) and found a wd folder but *not* anything for 3Com! I can grab it and share it later tonight if you'd like.

Getting networking up on this box will make LPP installs *much* easier since it seems my supply of good 3.5" HD floppies is quickly dwindling, so I may bite the bullet and just buy a WD 8003. There are some for a fairly reasonable price on eBay at the moment...

Anthony

Nov 30, 2021, 1:54:22 AM11/30/21
https://vofr.net/things/aix1.3/WD.TAR

Hopefully this is what you're looking for?

Louis Ohland

Nov 30, 2021, 10:08:34 AM11/30/21
IF_ENA Driver Description "June 14, 1991"

Louis Ohland

Nov 30, 2021, 10:12:11 AM11/30/21
wd mget WD8003ET/A WD8003ST/A WD8003E/A WD8003SH/A WD8003W/A
WD8013EP/A WD8013WP/A WD8003E*

Louis Ohland

Nov 30, 2021, 10:13:01 AM11/30/21
900-037 - if_ena: autoconfigure could not allocate kernel memory
900-038 - if_ena: board configured but ROM does not check out.
900-039 - no if_ena adaptors present

wd mget WD8003ET/A WD8003ST/A WD8003E/A WD8003SH/A WD8003W/A
WD8013EP/A WD8013WP/A WD8003E* 900-062 - if_ena: unit %d reset via
690 transmit watchdog

Louis Ohland

Nov 30, 2021, 10:15:10 AM11/30/21
/usr/nifl/3com ?

Anthony

Nov 30, 2021, 12:25:07 PM11/30/21
So, oddly enough, that directory does not exist in my install. Is it a separate LPP? I did encounter some oddness with reading disk 9 during the last BOS install I did (I think the floppy drive is becoming flaky), but I did list the contents of the disk using the restore command and didn't see a 3com subdirectory (though I could've simply missed it, too).

I am probably going to re-do the install (again) after reading section 2.3 & 2.4 in http://ps-2.kev009.com/aixps2/boo2pdf/SC23-2290-01_AIX_PS2_Installing_and_Customizing_the_Operating_System_Mar_1991.pdf I have overallocated the page and dump minidisks. Unless it's possible to re-size (specifically shrink) minidisks after the fact?

Louis Ohland

Nov 30, 2021, 2:41:38 PM11/30/21
I've bowed out, I've installed two or maybe three systems? Never really
used them. You are past me...

RickE

Nov 30, 2021, 3:46:41 PM11/30/21
On Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 12:25:07 PM UTC-5, Anthony wrote:
> So, oddly enough, that directory does not exist in my install. Is it a separate LPP? I did encounter some oddness with reading disk 9 during the last BOS install I did (I think the floppy drive is becoming flaky), but I did list the contents of the disk using the restore command and didn't see a 3com subdirectory (though I could've simply missed it, too).

The AIX 1.3 installer is a very odd beast. Regarding networking, if you don't have the adapter installed in your machine and properly set up with the appropriate ADF file, the installer usually won't bother to create and populate the appropriate directories. This is not very "IBM", but IBM had very little to do with the AIX 1.3 code.

Anthony

Dec 5, 2021, 8:32:16 PM12/5/21
Looks like the 3COM software is from the "Extended User Support" LPP. https://vofr.net/things/aix1.3/3com.tar

Louis Ohland

Dec 5, 2021, 9:17:12 PM12/5/21
Looking.

Usage Restriction [so what...]
-----------------

The AIX PS/2 3COM 3C523 software supports one or two 3COM 3C523 adapters
in a system at one time. It does not support concurrent installation of
an Ungermann-Bass Ethernet adapter and a 3COM 3C523 Etherlink/MC adapter
in one system.

Louis Ohland

Dec 5, 2021, 9:20:23 PM12/5/21
readme is only file in test directory...

3COM 3C523 Test Procedure

This directory contains the 3COM 3C523 test procedure used in validating
proper operation of the 3COM 3C523 Etherlink/MC Ethernet adapter. The
test procedure is stored in tp3com.scr, which is a DWSCRIPT format file.

Anthony

Dec 6, 2021, 12:15:28 AM12/6/21
Appears that is true to what's on the filesystem. Strange...