Auction: IBM PS/2 Model 90 XP-486 Vintage Computer Working RARE Personal System W/ Cards

Louis Ohland

Aug 28, 2022, 1:58:21 PM8/28/22
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175392765335

Santa Rosa, California,

No complex. No floppy.

schimmi

Aug 29, 2022, 3:18:08 PM8/29/22
no ram.

creative definition of 'working'. :D

Louis Ohland

Aug 29, 2022, 6:18:16 PM8/29/22
No memory riser bracket, either.

moussa

Aug 29, 2022, 10:46:55 PM8/29/22
*rare* indeed

--
Moussa

"People alike with a similar circumstances, tend to find each
others across space and time, given enough time in life, no
matter distance, language, race, colour and believes" (c) MEK
*** Do Not Copy, Duplicate or Use without my Permission ***

Marco Moock

Aug 30, 2022, 7:36:56 AM8/30/22
Am Montag, 29. August 2022, um 12:18:08 Uhr schrieb schimmi:

> no ram.
> creative definition of 'working'. :D

Working normally means that the things you sell are in working
condition, it doesn't mean that the things you're selling work
stand-alone.
If somebody sells a processor, it is also useless without a
motherboard, a power supply and even a monitor.

Tomas Slavotinek

Aug 30, 2022, 8:20:18 AM8/30/22
A computer unit sold as "working" should have all critical parts inside
imo. If not, the description should mention what is missing. The seller
acknowledges that the FDD and HDD aren't there but completely ignores
that the entire processor complex is missing and that there is no memory
either (ignoring the other non-critical parts). If the seller can't test
the unit properly, they shouldn't be selling it as "working".

To your CPU analogy... If you are selling a processor as "working", it
should be complete (i.e. no missing non-redundant pins) and be in a
condition good enough to at least make it through the POST. Of course
you don't expect it to come with a motherboard if the item sold is just
a CPU. Equally, I don't expect this Model 90 to come with peripherals
like the power cord, keyboard and monitor...

But at least this seller has some good photos there - so a person
knowledgeable about these systems can figure out what is missing.

schimmi

Aug 30, 2022, 3:20:39 PM8/30/22
Yes, I've meant the unit as it was simply offered. Following the analogy to a cpu (as a unit) - it would mean you get something with missing pins, caps etc. - it does work, because it gets warm.
It was sold for $119 - that's totally fine for what it is: a parts machine, so no offense :)