Warp3 (french) boot hang with blinking cursor after fp38 installation

Whaka

May 17, 2022, 4:02:17 AM5/17/22
hello,

fixpak 38 is the last available for french version of warp 3. so you guess it, i'm french.
i'm playing with a PS/2 model 35sx, and really want to use OS/2 on it.
i've somewhat boosted this good old beast, replacing the onboard 386sx by a 486 SXLC2, and overclocked to 33 MHz.
added a really decent video card with a S3 928 chip, network, and sound.
fun little machine.

so, after fp38 installation, and right after reboot for locked files to be updated, it hang after the boot manager.
all i get is a blinking cursor instead of the OS/2 "blob", keyboard is non responsive too.

the machine is actually using a CF as hard drive, and i first though it may be due to that.
CF are tricky sometimes, but even with a real HDD result is the same.

os2ldr and os2krnl are in place.
and systinstx didn't help too.
i also tried with older fixpak35, and got same deadend.

someone of OS2 world talk me about some possible fix specific for PS/2's and pointed me here for asking.
if someone remember about that ?

any other ideas ?
thanks.

David H Durgee

May 17, 2022, 10:44:06 AM5/17/22
Do you have an empty file "altf2on.$$$" in the root directory of your
boot drive? If not, create it and then try to boot. It should then
display the drivers as they load and give you an idea of where the
problem is.

This of course assumes you get far enough for drivers to be loading.
From you description I am unsure if that is the case.

Dave

Whaka

May 17, 2022, 11:35:00 PM5/17/22
David H Durgee a écrit :

> Do you have an empty file "altf2on.$$$" in the root directory of your
> boot drive? If not, create it and then try to boot. It should then
> display the drivers as they load and give you an idea of where the
> problem is.
>
> This of course assumes you get far enough for drivers to be loading.
> From you description I am unsure if that is the case.
>
> Dave
i tried what you suggest, but as you also guess, it doesn't load anything.
it stall right after the boot manager with the blinking cursor.

IBMMuseum

May 18, 2022, 5:22:37 PM5/18/22
> i'm playing with a PS/2 model 35sx, and really want to use OS/2 on it.

There are more than a single BIOS version for the 35SX (and 40SX, which shares the same planar) - What are the FRUs printed on your ROM labels?:

Model 35SX (8535) and 40SX (8540) BIOS Versions

27C512 x2: 'U19' (EVEN) and 'U31' (ODD)

92F1502 (E)
92F1503 (O), 04/04/1991, Revision 6

04G2022 (E)
04G2021 (O), 09/25/1991, Revision 10

10G4128 (E)
10G4127 (O), 03/1x/1992, Revision ?

Whaka

May 19, 2022, 12:27:33 AM5/19/22
it's a Rev 10.
i didn't know there's a release in 92, it's not the same content as Rev 10 ?
maybe i should try the upgrade if that's the case.

Louis Ohland

May 19, 2022, 7:24:40 AM5/19/22
Not your problem, of interest to MCA users. I think the version in FP038
should be OK on an ISA bus.

http://ftpmirror.your.org/pub/misc/ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/french/xrfw038/readme.1st

3.0.1 OS2DUMP SPLIT INTO TWO VERSIONS

OS2Dump has been split into two versions. If you are installing this
fixpak on PS/2 model 9595 machines, use the version located on the last
fixpak diskette. Also, if you are running older hardware (486s or early
Pentiums), you may wish to use the OS2Dump located on the last fixpak
diskette.

We have encountered some problems with early implementations of the PCI
Bus BIOS extensions (INT 1A) on certain processors and BIOS levels. We
are not sure how many different machines and BIOSes are affected. We do
know many of the PS/2 model 9595s have the problem. The end result of
this is that the version of OS2Dump which supports PCI Bus machines does
not work on some older hardware. In order to continue to support the
full range of hardware that OS/2 runs on, we have divided OS2Dump into a
PCI version and an non-PCI version. If you are running fairly recent
hardware, the PCI version of OS2Dump will work on your machine whether
or not it has a PCI bus. All BIOS problems have been worked out.

To reiterate, the problem occurs only on older hardware. If you are
running a 486 or early Pentium (P60 or less), you may wish to use the
non-PCI version located on the last fixpak diskette. If you are running
a 9595, you must use the non-PCI version located on the last fixpak
diskette.

On 5/17/2022 03:02, Whaka wrote:
> fixpak 38

Louis Ohland

May 19, 2022, 7:26:47 AM5/19/22
3.0.4 USING DISPLAY RECOVERY CHOICES

If you have the "Display Recovery Choices at each system startup"
function active on your system, you need to disable it before you apply
a FixPak if

þ The system is running
þ The boot partition will be serviced.

The problem with using this function is that the Corrective Service
Facility (CSF) updates the current CONFIG.SYS with entries to run the
Locked File Device Driver (LFDD) the next time you boot the system. This
is done to replace files that are currently in use (locked) by the
system.

The Recovery choices function replaces the current CONFIG.SYS with the
one that is associated with the recovery choice you select, wiping out
the LFDD entries. This means the LFDD does not run at boot time and the
deferred files will not get updated, therefore the FixPak does not get
completely applied.

Note: It is not necessary to disable this function if you install a
FixPak by booting from the CSF disks or from another OS/2 partition.

Louis Ohland

May 19, 2022, 7:32:06 AM5/19/22
5.7 IBM OPEN32

Open32 is a new API set provided in OS/2 Warp 3 beginning with FixPak 26
to help ISVs migrate their Windows 32-bit applications to OS/2.
Approximately 750 APIs from the Win32 API set are included and provide
essentially the same functionality as the Windows NT 3.51 APIs of the
same name.

Applications such as Lotus SmartSuite 96 are enable by this set of APIs.

It is required that Open32 support be installed on OS/2 Warp 3 systems
that have FixPak 26 or higher installed. The Open32 code requires 20MB
of disk space on your OS/2 Warp 3 boot drive.

Photoshop 4.0?