Zulu SCSI the mystery undocumented card....

Ryan Alswede

Mar 8, 2023, 9:07:14 PM3/8/23
Anyone got documentation on Zulu SCSI v1.1 2022 card?

Preformatted the SD card with FAT just to be sure it was good.

Adapter does not detected in Windows 10 usb

What settings should the switches on top be set to for the adapter to work just a simple HD in a 9577.

Louis Ohland

Mar 9, 2023, 6:01:38 AM3/9/23
Windows 10 and USB. Uh, I'm not sehr klar, but isn't that USB port [DFU]
for bootloading? That is, it is not for normal operation?

FAT? Might work, who knows, but FAT32 might be better for Win 10, no
idea on the drive size.

Configuration - Configure using FAT32 or exFAT-formatted SD or microSD card.

What settings should the switches on top be set to for the adapter to
work just a simple HD in a 9577.

For ZuluSCSI V1.1, the DIP switch settings are as follows:

ON or OFF DEBUG: Enable verbose debug log (saved to zululog.txt)
ON if last device on chain TERM: Enable SCSI termination
OFF BOOT: Enable built-in USB bootloader, this DIP switch MUST remain
off during normal operation.
OFF SW1: Enables/disables Macintosh/Apple specific mode-pages and
device strings, which eases disk initialization when performing fresh
installs on legacy Macintosh computers.

I did look at ZULU SCSI, and sent a few messages to the developer,
regarding use with Micro Channel. It looks like you are the pioneer.

What O/S are you using?
What size of an SD do you have?

I'm not sure if you have a suitable HD image on the SD card. Honestly, I
feel I was the one editing the ZULU SCSI page, it's Kaotic, but without
Wendy O. Williams...

Ryan Alswede wrote:
> Zulu SCSI

Louis Ohland

Mar 9, 2023, 6:06:08 AM3/9/23
ZuluSCSI can be configured in more detail via an optional text file
named zuluscsi.ini

https://github.com/ZuluSCSI/ZuluSCSI-firmware/blob/main/zuluscsi.ini

Louis Ohland

Mar 9, 2023, 6:06:43 AM3/9/23

Louis Ohland

Mar 9, 2023, 6:09:47 AM3/9/23
SD card requirements

The ZuluSCSI firmware requires a MBR/DOS-partitioned SD card, and at
least one FAT32 or exFAT-formatted SD partition, which must be labeled
SDHC or SDXC. Older SD cards manufactured prior to around 2008,
generally ~4GB and smaller, may not be detected by the SDIO interface of
the microcontroller. This is a hardware/silicon limitation. ZuluSCSI has
no upper limit on the size of SD cards it is compatible with, and is
known to work with large 256GB and 400GB SD cards which are currently
commercially available. SD cards partitioned with GPT (GUID Partition
Map) can not be read by ZuluSCSI, and the ZuluSCSI will not detect such
SD cards, resulting in the LED flashing five times.

Louis Ohland

Mar 9, 2023, 6:28:14 AM3/9/23
single, valid disk image file

What is this? I grok the idea, but just saving 1GB of empty space [ex.
0662] isn't klar to me.

gfre...@aol.com

Mar 9, 2023, 9:49:58 AM3/9/23
On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 05:28:22 -0600, Louis Ohland <ohl...@charter.net>
wrote:

>single, valid disk image file
>
>What is this? I grok the idea, but just saving 1GB of empty space [ex.
>0662] isn't klar to me.
>
>Louis Ohland wrote:
I use Acronis True Image and the image it creates is about the size of
the used space in the partition you are backing up and you can lay
that back down on a smaller drive/partition if it fits. It doesn't
back up empty space.

Ryan Alswede

Mar 10, 2023, 4:13:23 PM3/10/23
Not looking good. Basics failing.

Using a iBM Model 77 (9577)
-2GB Kodak SD card format to FAT32
-Windows95 boot disk img named as HD6.img copied to the card where the 6 is suppose to be the SCSI ID.
-put into the end position of the SCSI cable, termination sw on with power cable plugged in..

Machine errors as no boot device was found...

Louis Ohland

Mar 10, 2023, 5:02:33 PM3/10/23
I am not klar on the disk image source.

W95 boot disk img.

What image? Of a CD? An image of a real W95 boot drive, spinning
platters to an image file?

Ryan Alswede

Mar 10, 2023, 6:28:33 PM3/10/23
So it turns out you don't load real img to the drive. Just a dummy file of size X with the extension of img and that becomes like the "drive raw space" I guess to be later OS operated on..

Still working with support because the model 77 doesn't like the SCSI side of things. Might be an ini work around.

Louis Ohland

Mar 10, 2023, 8:13:55 PM3/10/23
Ryan, the FAQ is not clear on this, you are the pioneer.

Ryan Alswede

Mar 11, 2023, 7:22:14 AM3/11/23

> Ryan, the FAQ is not clear on this, you are the pioneer.

The Corvette and Spock got the adapter to cry uncle and produced crash dump files.

He is working on it.

Louis Ohland

Mar 11, 2023, 7:40:21 AM3/11/23
Since there is no documentation for use with IBM SCSI, we don't have to
worry about following it :)

I assume this is the Bermuda? If so, max IML drive is 3.94GB.

Perhaps... the IBM SCSI controller wandts to see the Sector and Track info?

What SCSI HD do you wandt to emulate? I'm not sure if you need the
Vendor, Product, Version, and Serial, does the IBM system programs or
the SCSI BIOS even czech for that?

My SWAGs for ini:

[SCSI]
# Settings that apply to all devices
Debug = 0 # Same effect as DIPSW2, enables verbose log messages
SelectionDelay = 255 # Millisecond delay after selection, 255 =
automatic, 0 = no delay
PhyMode = 0 # 0: Best available 1: PIO 2: DMA_TIMER [?]

# Settings that can be needed for compatibility with some hosts
Quirks = 0 # 0: Standard, 1: Apple, 2: OMTI, 4: Xebec, 8: VMS
EnableUnitAttention = 0 # Post UNIT_ATTENTION status on power-on or SD
card hotplug [?]
EnableSCSI2 = 1 # Enable faster speeds of SCSI2 [?]
EnableSelLatch = 0 # For Philips P2000C and other devices that release
SEL signal before BSY [?]
MaxSyncSpeed = 5 # Set to 5 to enable synchronous SCSI mode

# Settings that can be specified either per-device or for all devices.
#Vendor = "QUANTUM"
#Product = "FIREBALL1"
#Version = "1.0"
#Serial = "0123456789ABCDEF"
#Type = 0 # 0: Fixed
#TypeModifier = 0 # Affects only INQUIRY response [?]
#SectorsPerTrack = 63
#HeadsPerCylinder = 255
#RightAlignStrings = 0 # Right-align SCSI vendor / product strings,
defaults on if Quirks = 1 [?]
#PrefetchBytes = 8192 # Maximum number of bytes to prefetch after a read
request, 0 to disable
#ReinsertCDOnInquiry = 1 # Reinsert any ejected CD-ROM image on Inquiry
command

# Raw sector range from SD card can be passed through
# Format is RAW:first_sector:last_sector where sector numbers can be
decimal or hex.
# If end sector is beyond end of SD card, it will be adjusted automatically.
# [SCSI4]
# IMG0 = RAW:0x00000000:0xFFFFFFFF # Whole SD card

Ryan Alswede

Mar 13, 2023, 8:58:18 AM3/13/23
He's going to try it on his PS/2 this week and work out a fix.

Louis Ohland

Mar 16, 2023, 9:10:45 AM3/16/23
https://github.com/ZuluSCSI/EmptyFileCreator-win32

EFIC (Empty File Creator) is a small and reliable application that
create empty files in various sizes.

Is this needed to create the HD "image" ?

Louis Ohland

Mar 16, 2023, 9:15:58 AM3/16/23

Louis Ohland

Mar 16, 2023, 9:33:39 AM3/16/23
SN74LVT245B 3.3-V ABT OCTAL BUS TRANSCEIVER WITH 3-STATE OUTPUTS
SN54LVTH125, SN74LVTH125 3.3-†V ABT QUADRUPLE BUS BUFFERS WITH 3-†STATE
OUTPUTS

Can't findt the Winbond 26016JVS10 ?