Confessions of a Model 90 386

Daniel Hamilton

Mar 6, 2006, 9:58:39 PM3/6/06
8590-402 reveals more secrets...

Q: Is ESDI bootable on a Type-0 Processor Complex?
A: No: IML Error I9990080 (IML not supported on primary disk drive)

Daniel Hamilton

Mar 21, 2006, 2:19:05 AM3/21/06

Q: What other 8595 machines will run a Type 0 complex?
A: A 8595-0H9 will, with some patience. First putting in a spare T0
would result in no video. Taking other T0 out of working -402 and
placing it into -0H9 worked. After video was achieved with this T0,
swapping back the previously non-working T0 would work also. Do some
T0's have more "kick" to them? They some are leaders, some are followers.

Working -0H9 configuration was stock, except for the changing memory
from 70ns nonparity to 80ns parity (Model 70 386 memory). -0H9 had
"newest" SCSI w/Cache. -402 had older SCSI w/Cache but made no difference.

--Daniel

wm_w...@hotmail.com

Mar 22, 2006, 12:32:20 PM3/22/06
I hope Louis is paying attention to this...

I had a suspicion that the Type 0 in a 95 *might* just work when I was
diddling around with my own T0 complex.

Now all I really need is someone out there with a ROM burner to obtain
a T0 complex. Or I could break down and buy one, although it isn't
really high on my list of priorities. (The T0 remains primarily a
curiosity for me. If I could get it to run, so much the better.)

Great to hear that you got it running in a Model 95, however!

William

Daniel Hamilton

Mar 22, 2006, 1:18:52 PM3/22/06
Crap...not a 95. Another 8590....jeez. I can't believe I typed that.
I got it to work in another 8590-0H9. The weird thing (and telling) was
this:

Two machines:
8590-402: Stock T0 complex.
8590-0H9: Stock T2 complex.

I have a second T0 complex (I had before getting the 402), here-after
referred to as T0-2. T0-2 would not work initially if swapped with the
original T0 in the 402. No video. I then flipped the password-reset
jumper on the planar. Put T0-2 back in, and it worked. Great, now I
know the complex works.

I just got the 0H9. It came with a T2 complex. I checked the planar,
same FRU as the one in the 402. So I swapped the memory for some 80ns
parity memory (2x2MB). Went ahead and flipped the password-reset
jumper. Powered up, no video, nothing. I was stumped. So then I took
the T0 in the 402 and put it in the 0H9. Viola, it worked. Okay,
what's going on? I put T0-2 back in AND IT ALSO WORKED, although it
wouldn't just minutes earlier. So I had two functional T0 machines
functioning. I seemed to finally have the recipe for success.

The recipe is:
One 8590 with Spock SCSI. Put at least 1 PAIR of 80ns Parity SIMMs in
(Model 70 386 Memory). Flip the password-reset jumper. Cross your
fingers and push the power switch.

Story with 9595s...
On the Model 95 XP (0MG), the T0 seems to not be able to access IML via
the floppy controller. You'll always get I99900x1 or I99900x2 errors.
I took the 160MB SCSI drive from the 402 and put it in the 9595. It
then came back with a I999003x error, Disk IML record incompatible with
system board. Someone mentioned the planar ADF is missing and could be
causing the problem. I need to investigate this further.

--Daniel

I finally ended up with I9990033 errors.

Louis Ohland

Mar 22, 2006, 2:58:09 PM3/22/06
I have created the T1 and 90-386 refdisks. The 90-386 refdisk lacks the
model 95 planar adfs. You might wish to try the copy an options diskette
method with the 95 T1 planar adfs. Careful, there are three adfs, the
d***.adf, p***.adf and s***.adf, IIRC.

Once the planar is recognized, the next fun thing is to run system
programs. You may be in luck as the 90-386 recognizes Spock.

Daniel Hamilton

Mar 22, 2006, 5:04:56 PM3/22/06
Louis Ohland wrote:
> I have created the T1 and 90-386 refdisks. The 90-386 refdisk lacks the
> model 95 planar adfs. You might wish to try the copy an options diskette
> method with the 95 T1 planar adfs. Careful, there are three adfs, the
> d***.adf, p***.adf and s***.adf, IIRC.
>
> Once the planar is recognized, the next fun thing is to run system
> programs. You may be in luck as the 90-386 recognizes Spock.

The 90 386 comes with a Spock, one of the older versions. It also will
work with the newest version as well, such as the ones found in my two
9595s. I determined this from the fact that it works in the 0H9, which
also has the newest Spock.

I've just got some parts from Charles Lasitter...I plan on doing some
experiments tonight. We'll see what happens...

--Daniel