DRIVPARM

Kimmo Puranen

Dec 9, 1988, 7:05:34 AM12/9/88

Help needed !

I have been trying to install 3.5" 1.44M disk drive (Mitsubishi). Machine is
CMC-386 20 Mhz AT clone (chips and techn. motherboard) with Phoenix 3.06
386 bios and DOS 3.3. Floppy disk controller supports 1.44M drive. Setup
is ok (1.44M b: drive). BUT, drive works as 720Kb one. I can't format 1.44M
disks. I can't read 1.44M disks. I tried to use DRIVPARM in config.sys:
Reboot and ... AAARRGGH ... bad command in config.sys.
the line in config.sys was: drivparm= /d:01 /f:07
I suppose there is something wrong with dos 3.3 and drivparm.
Any ideas ???

Kimmo Puranen ___ ___ ___ ___ internet: kp7...@tut.fi
Orivedenkatu 18 A 14 /__ /__/ / /__ / / UUCP: ...mcvax!tut!kp72074
33720 Tampere Finland /__ / \ / ___//__/ BITNET: kp7...@fintuta.BITNET

Bill Wilson

Dec 12, 1988, 10:57:12 AM12/12/88
From article <KP72074.88...@naakka.tut.fi>, by kp7...@naakka.tut.fi (Kimmo Puranen):

> Help needed !
>
> I have been trying to install 3.5" 1.44M disk drive (Mitsubishi). Machine is
> CMC-386 20 Mhz AT clone (chips and techn. motherboard) with Phoenix 3.06
> 386 bios and DOS 3.3. Floppy disk controller supports 1.44M drive.
If your controller supports the drive the only other requirment is for
you to perform a setup (in theory). If your BIOS does not naturally support
that size drive then you will need to you the deveice driver, driver.sys
to create a new logical drive. The only other thing that you may do is
to get the patch from Microsoft for fixing this problem. If you are
using IBM DOS you must use driver.sys to access the drive in the way that
you want.

--
Bill Wilson (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

Keith Ericson

Dec 12, 1988, 12:01:46 PM12/12/88
In article <KP72074.88...@naakka.tut.fi> kp7...@naakka.tut.fi (Kimmo Puranen) writes:

>I suppose there is something wrong with dos 3.3 and drivparm.
>Any ideas ???

You got it right - the original distribution of DRVPARM from Microsoft
is broken. You can get a copy of MS-DOS 3.30A to supply "repaired"
versions of BACKUP (who cares?), DRIVPARM, FDISK and RAMDRIVE.SYS.
You can contact them at

Microsoft Corporation Tel 206 882 8080
16011 NE 36th Way Telex 160520
Box 97017 Fax 206 883 8101
Redmond WA 98073-9717

From what I've been able to tell there is no way, other than file
sizes and dates, to distinguish version 3.30 from 3.30A. That is,
the "ver" command reports back 3.30 even with 3.30A.

keith

Keith Russ

Dec 14, 1988, 1:13:57 PM12/14/88

I noticed a similar sort of problem installing a 720kB 3.5" in
my XT clone, except in my case it would only format in 360kB mode...

I eventually ended up designating the 3.5" drive as E: as well as
B:, and found that it formatted correctly on E: (and once formatted,
it was able to read properly on B:). I have to admit, though, that
the DOS information on this SEEMS straightforward; it just doesn't
seem to work properly (at least, maybe not with all hardware combinations).

In any case, you may find that this might work for you... as
inconvenient as it is.

KR

Peter Franks

Dec 16, 1988, 5:11:44 PM12/16/88
In article <43...@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM> kei...@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>You can get a copy of MS-DOS 3.30A to supply "repaired"
>versions of BACKUP (who cares?), DRIVPARM, FDISK and RAMDRIVE.SYS.
>You can contact them at
>
> Microsoft Corporation Tel 206 882 8080
> 16011 NE 36th Way Telex 160520
> Box 97017 Fax 206 883 8101
> Redmond WA 98073-9717
>
>From what I've been able to tell there is no way, other than file
>sizes and dates, to distinguish version 3.30 from 3.30A. That is,
>the "ver" command reports back 3.30 even with 3.30A.
>
>keith

Let me tell you a story. I called the number above for information
about obtaining the upgrade. They said to call 1-800-426-9400. So I
did.

When I finally got to talk to someone at that (9400) number, they told
me that the DOS was an IBM product and had to be upgraded through
IBM. The IBM number that they had was 1-800-426-3333. So I called it.

The person who answered THAT (3333) number told me that ALL DOS
upgrades are performed by their Dealers, who should have an upgrade
"kit" that will perform the upgrade. They told me to call (right -
another number) 1-800-426-2468. So I did.

The person that answered that (2468) number asked me for the zip code
of the Dealer that I purchased the DOS from (Egghead - Schaumburg,
IL), which I gave them. They told me that Egghead was NOT an
Authorized IBM Dealer and they gave me the names of several in the
area. So I called one.

The person that answered at MicroAge in Vernon Hills, IL told me that
he never heard of an upgrade kit. He also said that they don't carry
DOS 3.3 any more, and wouldn't I be interested in purchasing DOS 4.0?
(I've NEVER found anyone at that store to be of any use whatsoever.)

When I called Egghead, THEY said that they WERE authorized by IBM to
sell their DOS, but they never heard of an upgrade kit either.

So, to sum up, WHERE do I get an upgrade to PC-DOS 3.30A? I would
really like to have a working DRIVEPARM, etc., and feel that I
shouldn't have to work this hard to get it.

Pete Franks

-----

Remember:
No matter how obnoxious it is, you cannot execute a device!

Lee Fisher

Dec 18, 1988, 8:30:02 PM12/18/88
> In article <43...@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM> kei...@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
[Keith tells how he updated to MS-DOS v3.30A to get DRIVPARM to work...]

[I'd already replied to the original poster, telling them how to
update their copy of Microsoft MS-DOS v3.30 to v3.30A, which fixes
the problem they were experiencing with DRIVPARM. This message brings
up a few common misconceptions that I'd like to try to clarify.]

IBM PC-DOS does NOT support DRIVPARM. Look in their documentation: it
is not there. Instead, try using DRIVER.SYS, or see if you can get a
new release of your ROM BIOS to properly support your hardware. The
way I understand it, the reason that IBM doesn't use DRIVPARM is that
if you have all IBM hardware, you don't NEED the DRIVPARM command,
since you ROM BIOS will properly support your hardware, and PC-DOS
would not need DRIVPARM to try to fool the system into thinking it
supports hardware it doesn't understand.

There is no IBM PC-DOS 3.30A. This is why your dealers have not heard
of an update kit for this. There was an update provided by IBM for
IBM PC-DOS 3.30 which is available by IBM dealers. (I've also seen
the thing somewhere on Compu$erve, I think.)

IBM PC-DOS is sold through IBM authorized dealers. It is not sold or
updated by Microsoft.

Microsoft MS-DOS, beginning with v3.2, DOES support DRIVPARM. MS-DOS
v3.30 had a problem in which DRIVPARM did not work. MS-DOS v3.30A
fixed this problem.

MS-DOS is an OEM licensed product, not sold to the public (compared
to something like Microsoft WORD). OEMs license this product, sell it
to their customers, and are contractually obligated to support and
update their customers. There are two basic flavors of MS-DOS, the
Packaged Product release (which is for 100% IBM compatible systems,
and is not modified by an OEM), and all of the OEM modified releases
(in which they add value-added features and/or support hardware that
is not 100% IBM compatible), such as AT&T, Compaq, etc. The Microsoft
MS-DOS Packaged Product release began with MS-DOS 3.2: there was no
generic Packaged Product release of MS-DOS before this release of
MS-DOS.

In some releases of the MS-DOS Packaged Product release (such as
MS-DOS v3.20 -> v3.21 and v3.30 -> v3.30A), the Microsoft Customer
Support group updates customers. For OEM-modified releases of MS-DOS,
this group does not (cannot) update customers, since any changes in
the software would have to be re-integrated into the OEM-modified
release of MS-DOS.

I hope this has clarified some of the differences between IBM PC-DOS,
the generic Microsoft MS-DOS, and the OEM adaptation of MS-DOS.
Please don't flame Microsoft for not updating IBM PC-DOS or an OEM
release of MS-DOS. For those releases of the MS-DOS Packaged Product
listed above, we will update these. The domestic USA Microsoft Product
Support number is (206) 454-2030. For other countries, contact the
Microsoft subsidiary in that country.

In case my .signature doesn't make it and it isn't completely obvious,
my opinions are my *own*, not those of my employer...

Thanks,
Lee
--
Lee Fisher - Microsoft Corp., Redmond WA - le...@microsof.UUCP
leefi%micr...@uw-beaver.MIL - le...@microsof.beaver.washington.EDU

Keith Ericson

Dec 19, 1988, 1:13:51 PM12/19/88
In an earlier article <43...@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM> I wrote:

>You can get a copy of MS-DOS 3.30A to supply "repaired"
>versions of BACKUP (who cares?), DRIVPARM, FDISK and RAMDRIVE.SYS.
>You can contact them at
>
> Microsoft Corporation Tel 206 882 8080
> 16011 NE 36th Way Telex 160520
> Box 97017 Fax 206 883 8101
> Redmond WA 98073-9717
>
>From what I've been able to tell there is no way, other than file
>sizes and dates, to distinguish version 3.30 from 3.30A. That is,
>the "ver" command reports back 3.30 even with 3.30A.
>
>keith

And boy, did I ever screw up. I had inferred from the letter that
accompanies the disks, addressed to "Dear Microsoft Customer:" that
this upgrades was available to whomever satisfies that description.
It turns out that because Microsoft has a specific definition of
"customer," many people may own legitimate copies of MS-DOS and not
be Microsoft customers: they are customers of their hardware vendor
or their software vendor, and Microsoft expects those third party
vendors to provide the support. I've seriously mis-interpreted the
way this all works and need to "un-say" what I said earlier. (Can I
use the "tac" command? :-) )

Anyway, my apologies for getting anyone's (1) hopes or (2) dander up.

keith

Keith Ericson at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383 Beaverton OR 97077 (503)627-6042
UUCP: uunet!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
ARPA: keithe%tekgvs.GV...@RELAY.CS.NET
CSNet: kei...@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM

Jon Forrest

Dec 19, 1988, 1:42:30 PM12/19/88
In article <1...@microsoft.UUCP> le...@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) writes:
>MS-DOS is an OEM licensed product, not sold to the public (compared
>to something like Microsoft WORD). OEMs license this product, sell it
>to their customers, and are contractually obligated to support and
>update their customers. There are two basic flavors of MS-DOS, the
>Packaged Product release (which is for 100% IBM compatible systems,
>and is not modified by an OEM), and all of the OEM modified releases
>(in which they add value-added features and/or support hardware that
>is not 100% IBM compatible), such as AT&T, Compaq, etc. The Microsoft
>MS-DOS Packaged Product release began with MS-DOS 3.2: there was no
>generic Packaged Product release of MS-DOS before this release of
>MS-DOS.

I've heard people from Microsoft make this statement before. If this
is true how come I've seen MSDOS 3.3 from Microsoft on sale in
stores? Is this the Packaged Product? Even if it isn't, there's
something wrong with Lee Fisher's statement since MS-DOS is clearly
sold to the public in a box that clearly says Microsoft.

Jon Forrest Lawrence Berkeley Lab., 486-4991
for...@lbl.gov (internet)
ucbvax!lbl-csam!ux1!forrest (uucp)
FORREST@LBL (bitnet)

Lee Fisher

Dec 19, 1988, 9:27:58 PM12/19/88

In a recent article for...@ux1.lbl.gov (Jon Forrest) replied:

> I've heard people from Microsoft make this statement before. If this
> is true how come I've seen MSDOS 3.3 from Microsoft on sale in
> stores? Is this the Packaged Product? Even if it isn't, there's
> something wrong with Lee Fisher's statement since MS-DOS is clearly
> sold to the public in a box that clearly says Microsoft.

Yes, the Microsoft MS-DOS Packaged Product comes in a box that says
Microsoft on it. But NO, MS-DOS is *NOT* sold retail. [At least, it is
not supposed to be, legally. I've seen it available mailorder, and
have heard of it available retail in some shops, and our legal folks
try to flush out this kind of activity.]

I'm looking at the front cover of the Microsoft MS-DOS v4.00 Packaged
Product box:

[
NOT FOR RETAIL SALE EXCEPT WITH A COMPUTER SYSTEM

Microsoft(r) MS-DOS Operating System Version 4.0
5 1/4" disk version

For Personal Computers 100% Compatible with IBM Personal Computers

Includes Microsoft GW-BASIC(r) Interpreter

DISTRIBUTION LICENSEE:

You must place a label here indicating that this copy of MS-DOS is
intended for use only on your computer systems. In addition, the
label must provide your customer support telephone number and notice
to purchaser that they shoudl call this number for support.

PURCHASER:

Do not accept this product if this notice is visible.
]

I don't have a copy of the MS-DOS 3.3 Packaged Product handy; it is not
worded exactly the same (perhaps not as explicit), but it is similar,
and has the same intent.

Thus, the MS-DOS Packaged Product release is ONLY to be sold by an OEM
to a customer with a computer system, or to be sold by an OEM to a
customer who's already purchased a computer system (i.e., an update).
One reason we don't sell MS-DOS Packaged Product retail is that we
license this product to OEMs, and they'd get upset if we turned
around and sold directly to the public, eliminating the middleman
(them). Now with OEM modified versions of MS-DOS, I believe that they
can sell them retail. IBM definately does retails IBM PC-DOS. I've not
seen other OEM releases for sale, but I haven't been in a computer
store recently, looking for an OEM copy of DOS.

Again, please note my disclaimer...

Ray Berry

Dec 22, 1988, 4:23:27 PM12/22/88

Today I compared my original PC-DOS 3.3 disks (obtained through IBM
direct upgrade last year when 3.3 became available) with the disks currently
being shipped by dealers. No difference at all- nada. Same file dates
(3-17/87, 3-18/87) on everything. Specifically with regard to the 'suspect'
programs, the sizes are:

BACKUP.COM 31913 (who cares?)
FDISK.COM 48216
VDISK.SYS 3455
IBMBIO.COM 22100
IBMDOS.COM 30159

If there has been an update this would suggest it never made it into
production. Is there any evidence to the contrary out there?
--
Ray Berry KB7HT (206) 828-4422 UUCP: ...!tikal!ole!ray
Seattle Silicon Corp., 3075 112th Ave NE., Bellevue WA 98004