Wearnes CDD-110 cd-rom and soundcards

Maurizio Impronta

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95

I have a Wearnes CDD-110 2x cd-rom and now I wish to use it with a sound
card in a 486 dx2-66.
There is some with experience (and suggestions to buy this card) on
interfacing directly Wearnes with SB (16 MCD, AWE-32) or other cards?
Many thanks in advance.
Maurizio Impronta
| Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche - Istituto di |
| Chimica e Tecnologia dei Materiali e dei Componenti per l'Elettronica |
| CNR - LAMEL Institute | Fax : +39 51 639 9216 |
| Via P. Gobetti, 101 | |
| I 40129 Bologna (Italy) | E-mail: sys...@bolam5.lamel.bo.cnr.it |

la...@dimes.tudelft.nl

Jul 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/4/95
In article <3t96c2$h...@sirio.cineca.it>,

sys...@bolam5.lamel.bo.cnr.it (Maurizio Impronta) wrote:

>I have a Wearnes CDD-110 2x cd-rom and now I wish to use it with a sound
>card in a 486 dx2-66.
>There is some with experience (and suggestions to buy this card) on
>interfacing directly Wearnes with SB (16 MCD, AWE-32) or other cards?
>Many thanks in advance.
>Maurizio Impronta

I bought a Wearnes CDD110 2xdrive about a month ago, because of the Sony
compatible interface. It came with a seperate controler card but I wanted to
use it with my soundcard, which doesn't have IDE support.

I am currently using it together with my SB16 multiCD soundcard on the Sony
interface, and put a base adress of 230 in the CDrom driver (which should be
used for Sony drives according to my SB docs), and it's working fine. Altough
the CDrom documentation says that you must use 300 as the base adress, I think
this is only true when the seperate controler card is being used. The SB16
itself is configured at the standard baseadress of 220 and I didn't want to
change that, because a lot of programs expect it there.

Probably it will also work the same way on other cards with a Sony interface.
Hope this information helps.

La...@dimes.tudelft.nl

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
Hello,

here is some additional info on connecting a wearnes CDD-110 cd-rom drive to a
soundcard:

The doc's on installation of the wearnes drive say that you can connect it to
any sound card with a Sony interface meant for a Sony CDU-31 or CDU-33 type of
drive, which is exactly what I'm using on the SB16 multiCD.

Also Wearnes itself sells soundcards with this interface, called "Beethoven
16-bit" and "Beethoven ADSP-16 bit" audio card. Don't know how good and
compatible they are though.