REQ: Advice on theater sound computer

TurningWorm

Jun 28, 2002, 11:10:55 AM6/28/02
First off, apologies for crossposting. I really don't know where to seek
this sort of help.

I have been asked to put together a computer for a small theater that will
be used almost exclusively as a sound server for pre-show music, sound
effects and midi-based musical score playback. It must output to the theatre
amps through an RCA cable. (It may also interface with a light board, but
that is done through a serial port and is not very CPU intensive.) Almost
any card will do I suppose for sound effects and such, but the midi is the
big issue. This should be as top notch as possible without costing more then
$200 or so. The system will most likely run Windows 2000, so the card would
have to support that OS. I know midi is a rapidly disappearing hardware
feature, but I would like a hardware solution so that CPU resources are
tapped as little as possible. This computer would have to be able to
playback a midi score, play a wave or mp3 file, and read from a CD all at
the same time without stuttering. Any advise on a good soundcard solution
for these needs would be MUCH appreciated. TIA

BTW: Heat is also a big concern, so I'm trying to use as slow a processor as
possible. Like a P3-600 or so.

Leonid Makarovsky

Jun 28, 2002, 12:45:28 PM6/28/02
Look at this baby:

http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/audiophile.php

The Guitar Center store sells 'em for $160 or $170.

--Leonid