Cardinal DSP 16

Micromine

Jan 26, 1994, 1:03:06 AM1/26/94
Does anyone have any comments on the Cardinal Digital Sound Pro 16 ?

(Apart from how big the name is ?)

This looks like a damn good card with up to 48kHz sampling.

Anyone ?

Simon Shaw.

Bill Waslo

Jan 26, 1994, 9:50:41 AM1/26/94

No answer here, but another question: can the Cardinal do simultaneous
and synchronous 16-bit record and play? Details are sketchy, & tech info seems
hard to come by, but rumor has it that the Cardinal board has this capability.
Gravis will have this "someday", but evidently the 16-bit record option and the
Max version are subject to indefinite postponement.

If anyone has any info on the Cardinal or any other non-vaporous board with
such capability, please respond!

Thanks, Bill Waslo

matt....@analog.com

Jan 26, 1994, 5:49:19 PM1/26/94
In article <CK8rw...@xetron.com> bi...@s1.xetron.com (Bill Waslo) writes:

>No answer here, but another question: can the Cardinal do simultaneous
>and synchronous 16-bit record and play? Details are sketchy, & tech info seem
>hard to come by, but rumor has it that the Cardinal board has this capability.

It's technically possible with any board that has an AD1848 CODEC onboard
(Cardinal, Orchid, Windows Sound System), but it's a tricky process to write
drivers that support this. Even more troublesome is the ISA bus bandwidth
versus that needed to stuff 4 (stereo in, stereo out) 44.1kHz 16-bit data
streams through that bus + disk bandwidth + video + etc.

(For those of you who read comp.dsp, ignore the statement I made yesterday
to the contrary... it's just the rocks rattling around in my head. Heck, _I_
even manage to do it on a Cardinal with a program of mine!)

-Matt

--
-
Matt Kangas DSP Tools Group

Alan H. Perry

Jan 27, 1994, 1:19:52 PM1/27/94
When we last left our heroes, Micromine wrote:
: Does anyone have any comments on the Cardinal Digital Sound Pro 16 ?

: (Apart from how big the name is ?)

: This looks like a damn good card with up to 48kHz sampling.

: Anyone ?

I would highly recommend AGAINST the DSP16 soundcard. I had one for
about two weeks (got suckered in by the free Wavetable upgrade). I
installed it and couldn't get digital audio working in Windows
enhanced mode (worked fine in standard mode). After many calls to
their tech support line (always answered by a recording saying all
of their tech support people were busy helping others), the finally
called me back about a week later. I also spent about 1.5 hours on
the phone (my cost) with Voyetra tech support trying to fix it. The
end result was that the Cardinal tech support person said that he
would write up an engineering report saying that their card/software
was incompatible with my motherboard chipset, and they would try to
get back to me with a fix in "a couple of months or so"!

Needless to say, I returned the card. Got a GUS, much happier with
it (excellent windows support). Takes a little tinkering in DOS
for older games to get to work with SBOS (their SB emulator) sometimes,
but many new games are coming out with GUS native support. Some
companies that come to mind are Psygnosis (Lemmings 3, etc), Sierra
(<insert name> Quest, etc), Epic Megagames (Pinball, Xargon, etc),
Id (Doom, etc), Apogee (Raptor, etc), Activision (Return to Zork, etc),
LucasArts (Rebel Assault, etc), and <obviously> just about anything
that runs in Windows.

Speaking only for myself,
Alan

Christopher Cyr

Jan 28, 1994, 11:24:33 AM1/28/94

I have a DSP and have been very pleased with it. I have not had any
problems with it, and the sampling works real well. Although I have not
heard their wave table chip yet, I am anxious to hear from anyone who has
one. I run a sony cdu-31a cd-rom and it works with it with no problems.

Christopher Cyr

-----
Christopher Cyr
Internet: ch...@valinor.mythical.com uucp: uunet!valinor!chris
-----

Allen Koberg

Feb 13, 1994, 3:06:07 AM2/13/94
In article <2j78vs$a...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,
Micromine <mm...@yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
>Christopher Cyr (ch...@valinor.mythical.com) wrote:
>: > Does anyone have any comments on the Cardinal Digital Sound Pro 16 ?

>: >
>: > (Apart from how big the name is ?)
>: >
>
>: I have a DSP and have been very pleased with it. I have not had any
>: problems with it, and the sampling works real well. Although I have not
>
>Thanx for the info !

Oh...the story doesn't end there. I just got one. The Windows drivers
didn't work. I called their tech support and just got a fast busy all
the time (whatever that may imply). I called their BBS.

I downloaded their latest software drivers. It was really slow because
their Zmodem is screwed up (other people were complaining also).

The two disks I downloaded? Self-extracting zip files which were password
garbled.

I only hope that sometime soon, I'll get a response to my plea to "please
let me have the password so *maybe* I won't get screwed by you guys".

In short? Buy something else.

Lee Clarke

Feb 14, 1994, 6:09:27 PM2/14/94
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard, kob...@spot.Colorado.EDU (Allen Koberg) writes:
*In article <2j78vs$a...@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>,
*Micromine <mm...@yarrow.wt.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
**Christopher Cyr (ch...@valinor.mythical.com) wrote:
**: * Does anyone have any comments on the Cardinal Digital Sound Pro 16 ?
**: *
**: * (Apart from how big the name is ?)
**: *
**
*
*Oh...the story doesn't end there. I just got one. The Windows drivers
*didn't work. I called their tech support and just got a fast busy all
*the time (whatever that may imply). I called their BBS.
*
*I downloaded their latest software drivers. It was really slow because
*their Zmodem is screwed up (other people were complaining also).
*
*The two disks I downloaded? Self-extracting zip files which were password
*garbled.
*
*I only hope that sometime soon, I'll get a response to my plea to "please
*let me have the password so *maybe* I won't get screwed by you guys".
*
*In short? Buy something else.
*

Not discounting the fact that you went through some real aggravation,
I believe the problems you encountered may be specific to your workstation
unless others report in and recount the same experiences. I have had
zero problems with the Cardinal DSP16 windows drivers. My Cardinal
card and its included software (ie: Voyetra) work just fine.
I'm very pleased with it, and I am no stranger to new product/installation
aggravations :-).

My advice: Get a brave volunteer to load his/her known working Cardinal
DSP 16 and associated software on to your system and take note of the
results. Swap software first, hardware second, then restore one or the
other until you can generalize the fault.

Otherwise, analyze your system setup from BIOS to ZMODEM.

Hope that helps, Allen :-) !

Lee Clarke
lcl...@oasys.dt.navy.mil

Allen Koberg

Feb 15, 1994, 3:02:22 AM2/15/94
In article <2jp0b7...@oasys.dt.navy.mil>,

Oh...the card works great if I'm using a Soundblaster or Windows Sound
System driver. Sounds GREAT at 44 KHz...

But, the drivers to set it up in Windows just plain are buggy. NO matter
*how* I configure the Windows driver, it always tests okay, but in fact
it is not okay.

My main beef however, hardware aspects aside, is the crummy support that
I've gotten from Cardinal so far. I'm a veteran PC upgrader (built many
a system from scratch) and had few problems up 'til now.

Plus, the Mitsumi CD-ROM attached to the sound card sometimes doesn't
get recognized by the driver (but sometimes it does). But I'm not sure
who to blame this on...Mitsumi, the software drivers, or what. So...

I *wish* it was as easy as an IRQ conflict :-).

Aaron M. Williams

Feb 14, 1994, 7:55:05 PM2/14/94
My father has been working very closely with the Cardinal, and there have
been a TON of software problems with drivers and so forth.
He finally got it working after many calls to their tech support (He's
OEMing the card in a multimedia machine). I had a lot more
problems setting up the Cardinal to work properly than I had with my GUS.

After I got everything working, I went back to my GUS, since the sound
quality of the GUS is much better for MIDI patches.

Jim Horn

Feb 16, 1994, 12:54:11 PM2/16/94
Regarding contacting Cardinal Technologies, passwords, and so on -

I've had the best luck sending my questions to Cardinal via FAX which
is seldom busy *and including my telephone number for a reply*.
Since both they and I are often busy, the FAX lets me get the message
to them, and my answering machine lets them get the response back if
I'm not available. Yes, easier access (with loads of support folks
eagerly awaiting every call) would be nifty but then we couldn't
afford the product - or the company would fold and we'd have *NO*
support.

Regarding the scrambled (password required) files - they're PKZIPped
then converted to self-extracting files in which you need to add the
-s<password> option. The reason for the password must be that
Cardinal doesn't own the software and cannot legally give it to
anyone who wants it, but can only provide it to owners of the MPC700
(Digital Sound Pro 16) family boards. The password allows some legal
control of this.

To avoid legal problems, I can't give the password out. Send
Cardinal a fax and they'll tell you. Of course, if we chat via
'phone we can discuss this further.

Oh, by the way - my MPC700Plus works great and did out of the box,
albeit with some minor head scratching due to old code, especially
when I added a Chinon CD-535 CD-ROM drive to it. With all its
capabilities in one slot, it works great *and* is less filling. Now
when is the wavetable ROM coming out?

ObDisclaimer - I don't work for or represent Cardinal Technology,
Voyetra, or anyone else you've ever heard of.

----
Jim Horn WB9SYN Noller Communications, Inc.
Email: ji...@noller.com 1250 Holm Road
Phone: 707-778-0571 Petaluma, CA 94954-1172
FAX: 707-778-0235 So many signals, so little bandwidth!

Jeffrey A Meunier

Feb 16, 1994, 8:45:37 PM2/16/94
ji...@noller.com (Jim Horn) writes:

>Regarding contacting Cardinal Technologies, passwords, and so on -

>I've had the best luck sending my questions to Cardinal via FAX which
>is seldom busy *and including my telephone number for a reply*.
>Since both they and I are often busy, the FAX lets me get the message
>to them, and my answering machine lets them get the response back if
>I'm not available. Yes, easier access (with loads of support folks
>eagerly awaiting every call) would be nifty but then we couldn't
>afford the product - or the company would fold and we'd have *NO*
>support.

So what's the FAX? (i.e., what is the telephone number to reach them via fax?)

--Jeff

| Jeffrey A. Meunier |
| Student - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign |
|Permanent Address | School Address |
|8835 N. Marmora Ave. | 211 E. Daniel St. |
|Morton Grove, IL 60053 | Champaign, IL 61820 |
|Tel: (708)966-3248 | Tel: (217)337-7186 |
| | email: meu...@uiuc.edu |

Jim Horn

Feb 22, 1994, 4:52:44 PM2/22/94
jam4...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey A Meunier @ University of Illinois at Urbana) once wrote....

>ji...@noller.com (Jim Horn) writes:
>
>>Regarding contacting Cardinal Technologies, passwords, and so on -
>
>>I've had the best luck sending my questions to Cardinal via FAX which
>>is seldom busy *and including my telephone number for a reply*.
>
>So what's the FAX? (i.e., what is the telephone number to reach them via fax?)
>
>--Jeff
From the Soundcard FAQ...

** 3.4) What can you tell me about Cardinal Technologies?

CONTACT:

Cardinal Technologies
1827 Freedom Rd.
Lancaster, PA 17601

General: (717)293-3000
Customer service: (717)293-3049
FAX: (717)293-3055
BBS: (717)293-3043
Tech Support: (717)293-3124, 9-5 EST Mon.-Fri.
Cardinal has a bulletin board, (717) 293-3043. It is hard to get through,
and even when it answers, does not seem to connect successfully much of the
time.

Phone support 9-5 Eastern Time, Weekdays (717) 293-3124 The best way to get
support is to call, leave a message and the WILL get back to you (if you
are at the phone when they call). You can also FAX your questions.

Main Number (717) 293-3000