Terratec AudioSystem DMX 6fire (LT). Any issues?

1 view

AcKBaR[KAC]

Apr 12, 2002, 6:42:40 AM4/12/02

I'm planning to buy the LT version of the DMX 6fire and want to know
if there are any issues with it or it's drivers.
I'm going to use it mainly for DVD/music/video playback, some gaming
(just 2channel) and recording from and to my MD recorder.
I will be using it with Win98 and mainly Win2000.
I have a Via KT266a chipset with VT8233 southbridge (EP-8KHA+).

Are the drivers and control software stable?

thnx.

Raymond Dalgleish

Apr 12, 2002, 10:08:21 AM4/12/02
I have the full version of the DMX 6fire and have some
reservations about it. It's a lovely piece of hardware but
the drivers and control software are decidedly flaky.

I have taken to closing the control panel when it's not
needed as it often hangs. Since replacing my previous
Soundblaster with the 6fire I've had lots of problems
with digital video editing though I cannot be sure of
cause and effect.

From an audio point of view, it's a great card. Now, if
Terratec could just sort out the drivers.....

You'll need to set your hard disk to DMA to be able to
record at high sample rates.

Raymond Dalgleish

"AcKBaR[KAC]" <no...@here.nl> wrote in message

AcKBaR[KAC]

Apr 16, 2002, 4:33:42 AM4/16/02
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:08:21 +0100, "Raymond Dalgleish" <r...@le.ac.uk>
wrote:

>I have the full version of the DMX 6fire and have some
>reservations about it. It's a lovely piece of hardware but
>the drivers and control software are decidedly flaky.

Did it get better with newer drivers/software? or are you using the
latest?

>From an audio point of view, it's a great card. Now, if
>Terratec could just sort out the drivers.....
>
>You'll need to set your hard disk to DMA to be able to
>record at high sample rates.

I always use DMA settings. Difference is really noticable.

Anyone bad expiriences with a Hoontech/STaudio DSP24 VE?

http://www.staudio.com/products/dsp24ve/index.html

Raymond Dalgleish

Apr 17, 2002, 7:43:34 AM4/17/02
I am using the latest drivers and control panel from the
Terratec site.

The main problem is that the control panel loads by default
and frequently crashes. I think that this is due to conflicts
with other software. I have now disabled the autoload and
only run the control panel when I need to change setting on
the card.

The major operational problem is that I cannot record
RIAA corrected signals from the phono input on the
break-out box. Terratec and the dealer from whom I bought
the card are looking in to that. Not a problem for you if you
are thinking of buying the LT version.

Raymond