Media output to a specific soundcard?

Some One

May 3, 2003, 6:44:17 PM5/3/03
Hey all!

Just wondering if the following was possible, and how to go about
configuring it...

I have a SB Live! in my PC, connected using the digital output to a
set of Creative (Cambrige Soundworks) 4.1 speakers. The onboard sound
on my PC (AC97) is also enabled. Currently, all sound goes out through
the SB Live!. I'd like to hook the onboard sound to a small amp I
currently use to listed to the radio and use it for playing MP3's
independantly from the SB Live output.

- Can I set MS MediaPlayer 9 or WinAmp (or other player?) to use a
specific soundcard?

- Can I set Windows XP Pro to use a specific soundcard for desktop
effects while DirectX9 uses another card (ie, Use the onboard sound
for system bloops and have MP3's and gaming go out my SBLive)

- Can I have two instances of MediaPlayer or Winamp running, each to a
different soundcard?

- If my onboard (or add in card) can do 4.1 or 6.1, can I run one
instance of MediaPlayer or Winamp on the front pair of channels, a
different instance playing on the rear pair of channels, etc...? I'd
use this to control music in different rooms and would rather have a
single 6.1 soundcard running three rooms than try to install three 2.1
soundcards.

Thanks!

P.s. Sorry for the wide crosspost, but this is relevant to all the
groups. Feel free to strip out any/all groups from your reply to just
the ones you participate in.

Slipstream3D

May 6, 2003, 6:11:47 PM5/6/03

"Some One" <as...@sfae.fas> wrote in message

> Hey all!
>
> Just wondering if the following was possible, and how to go about
> configuring it...
>
> I have a SB Live! in my PC, connected using the digital output to a
> set of Creative (Cambrige Soundworks) 4.1 speakers. The onboard sound
> on my PC (AC97) is also enabled. Currently, all sound goes out through
> the SB Live!. I'd like to hook the onboard sound to a small amp I
> currently use to listed to the radio and use it for playing MP3's
> independantly from the SB Live output.
>
> - Can I set MS MediaPlayer 9 or WinAmp (or other player?) to use a
> specific soundcard?

Yes, just choose the output device in Winamp's Waveout or Directsound
plugin.

> - Can I set Windows XP Pro to use a specific soundcard for desktop
> effects while DirectX9 uses another card (ie, Use the onboard sound
> for system bloops and have MP3's and gaming go out my SBLive)

There is a way of doing this, but I'm not sure how.

> - Can I have two instances of MediaPlayer or Winamp running, each to a
> different soundcard?

Yes, set winamp to "allow multiple instances" than configure each running
copy to the different output devices.

> - If my onboard (or add in card) can do 4.1 or 6.1, can I run one
> instance of MediaPlayer or Winamp on the front pair of channels, a
> different instance playing on the rear pair of channels, etc...? I'd
> use this to control music in different rooms and would rather have a
> single 6.1 soundcard running three rooms than try to install three 2.1
> soundcards.

It will be way easier to install 3 stereo cards than to try and accomplish
this. All the speakers on a multi-speaker system are part of the same
"device", whereas three stereo cards would have three separate devices.

To ease installation, try and make all three cards different, i.e. one
integrated audio using simple drivers, one Creative, and maybe one Turtle
Beach. Some drivers get all wacky when there is more than one card of the
same type installed. (However, on the other hand, make sure there aren't any
driver conflicts, either!).