Help wanted: soundcard input to low ???

Kees

Jun 15, 2003, 5:58:46 AM6/15/03
Hi there,

Thanks very much for reading.

I have the following problem:

Config:
Laptop Armada 1700 ;

I input a signal via the soundcard; signal is controlled by microphone
input of mixer (there is just that input).
When I listen over the speakers it sounds ok to me.
But when I use it as an input, some programs seem not to respond toit,
or the signal i see (waterfall or other graphic) is to soft (low).

I know the programs work ok, beacause on my desktop they do.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
Is there a hidden setting that can 'boost' the input or throughput?
Or is this often the case with laptop computers???

Any help is bery much appreciated.

Kees

Deathwalker

Jun 18, 2003, 1:54:20 PM6/18/03
there usually is a mic boost +20b. go into control panel and multimedia and
also triy sound devices.

--
Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant
"Kees" <anti...@read.in.message.nl> wrote in message

Michael A. Covington

Jun 18, 2003, 2:32:53 PM6/18/03
Soundcards do not work with ordinary (tape recorder type) microphones.
Soundcard microphones contain a one-transistor amplifier which is powered
through the middle (ring) connector on the plug. I designed an amplifier to
overcome this problem; it was published in QST Magazine about two years ago.
--
Michael A. Covington, Associate Director
Artificial Intelligence Center / The University of Georgia / Athens, GA

"Deathwalker" <ian-l...@blueyonder.co.ukspam> wrote in message

Mike W

Jun 18, 2003, 8:27:32 PM6/18/03
> I input a signal via the soundcard; signal is controlled by microphone
> input of mixer (there is just that input).
> When I listen over the speakers it sounds ok to me.
> But when I use it as an input, some programs seem not to respond toit,
> or the signal i see (waterfall or other graphic) is to soft (low).
>
> I know the programs work ok, beacause on my desktop they do.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
> Is there a hidden setting that can 'boost' the input or throughput?
> Or is this often the case with laptop computers???

I think you have a level adjust problems between the different types of
sounds the computer handles. Open the volume control. Mic input is mic and
is easy to have VERY loud if uses as a line input. MIDI is controlled by SW
Synth. Programs (games, system sounds) are Wave. CD is CD Audio. The trick
is finding a balance between all of the inputs.

Under XP Volume control panel is "sndvol32.exe" and should open by double
clicking on the speaker in the icon tray or finding "volume control".