Best sound card for MP3 to stereo?

Pelle

Jun 1, 2010, 4:51:52 AM6/1/10
Hey guys,

I am currently thinking about a solution to deliver MP3 from a network
to my stereo. I think my way would be to place a mini-PC next to my
stereo (no noise required) use WinVNC to control it over the network
and have it play MP3 with something commonly available (like WinAMP).
I want to feed the output to my amplifier and use it as a normal
stereo device.
As I have already hinted, there'll be no surround-sound and tit-tat.
Just plain old stereo, with a desire for nice quality, since I like to
listen to classical music just as well. However I don't have a 10k+ US
$ stereo, so it doesn't need to be the ultimate solution. I'm thinking
about something in the range of 100-200US$ for the soundcard or
similar device. Also, since I'll be able to set up only a mini-PC,
this sound-card should be compatible with case-dimensions. For all I
have seen so far, there is typically one PCIE slot available in those
mini-PCs.
In another place, AI (Audio Interface) were recommended for a slightly
different requirement, so I'd be more than happy if someone could shed
some light on this technology as well.

Well... you could do me a great favour if you can get me started on
this topic. I know quite a bit about computers and stuff, though I
haven't followed recent hardware-development. But it should be enough
to fill that part of my setup.

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Pelle.