Who made the AdLib cards?

Ben Haith

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95
Does anyone out there know what company made the AdLib cards way back when?

-Ben

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Benjamin F. Haith
bfh...@psu.edu
http://www.geopages.com/Hollywood/1792/
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

David Cole

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95
In article <bfh104.17...@psu.edu>, bfh...@psu.edu says...

>Does anyone out there know what company made the AdLib cards way back when?

How about: AdLib ?

Canadian company. Went bankrupt a few years ago. Then bought our by German
company I believe. They brought the Adlib Gold to market (this had been
developed before Adlib went bankrupt, but they didn't have the money to
produce and bring to market), but it was not a great success. I don't know
if they are still around, but doubt it.

--
It's Now Safe to Turn
Off Your Computer

David Timoney

Oct 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/19/95
Ronald Shin (bom...@netside.com) wrote:
: bfh...@psu.edu (Ben Haith) wrote:

: >Does anyone out there know what company made the AdLib cards way back when?

: >-Ben

: >* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
: >Benjamin F. Haith
: >bfh...@psu.edu
: >http://www.geopages.com/Hollywood/1792/
: >* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

: I believe it was AdLib themselves who made the AdLib cards. Of
: course, there were OEM's who also made AdLib cards, just like today's
: Soundblaster OEM cards.

Actually, the company name was Ad lib, while the card was the Adlib.
Based in Canada, the company started the mainstream use of FM synthesis music
in PCs. Unfortunately, by the time they put out a card with a DAC (ala
Sound Blaster) - the Adlib Gold - the company must have been financialy
rickity as it went chapter 11 soon after. I believe it resurrected itself
and might still be around - I also have heard that many of the folks from
there created/went to Audiotrix or some other sound card company.

Dave

Irene Kudinow

Oct 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/20/95

Actually, Adlib Multimedia Inc. was alive up until last May when their
phone lines became disconnected. I don't know what happened after that.
Too bad. They had a really neet new line up of new soundcards and other
products. I still have their '95 catalog. I heard the Adlib Gold did
fairly well overseas. I still fondly hold on to mine. For an FM card
it's very nice. Allthough, I have upgraded to an Ensoniq SS Elite.
-Irene Alora-

Irene Kudinow

Oct 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/20/95

Adlib Multimedia Inc. was alive up until last May when their phone lines
became disconnected numbers. I don't know what happened for sure, but
my guess is they're gone for good this time. Too bad. They had a neat
new line up of soundcards and products coming. I still have their '95
catalog. I heard the Adlib Gold sold fairly well overseas. Considering
the amount of game support it has, I don't think it did too bad here.
I still fondly hold on to mine, eventhough I've since bought an Ensoniq
SS Elite. If anyone knows for sure what happened to Adlib, I'd like to
know. Thanks!
<--Irene Alora-<<-

Francois D. Menard

Oct 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/20/95

Come on guys .... let's here the thruth from someone who
really knows the situation ... (me)

In 1992, due to a ash flow problem (too much $$$ pumped into a
multi-million dollar AdLib Gold 1000 ad campaing, when Yamaha
could not actually deliver a chip called the MMA on time, which
was essential to the Gold design), AdLib went bankrupt.

Under the bankrupty protection law of the province of Quebec,
the government bought the assets of AdLib to make sure Creative Labs would
not buy them. The, this is where the real story begun:

The current president of Mediatrix, along with other important
investors, made a proposition to aquire what was left of the
assets of AdLib, but unfortunately, at the very last minute,
german interest bid more, and won the deal. The german
people decided to let go of the engineers.

Seeing this talent going down the drain, instead of giving up,
the people behind Mediatrix hired the engineers behind the AdLib
products, subsidized the development of the Mediatrix Sound
Blaster compatibility, and designed three products.

The Audiotrix Pro
The gold and the basic (which were never marketted, but are
on display here at the Mediatrix HQ!).

So now, here we are, with the brains of the first people to design
sound boards ...

that's the true story, for more, check out our web site ....
www.mediatrix.com

-=Francois=-