Google Groups no longer supports new Usenet posts or subscriptions. Historical content remains viewable.
Dismiss

Crystalake 140 is the best Sound card!!! Just try to prove me wrong!

93 views
Skip to first unread message

Chris Demers

unread,
Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
to
I hope that got your attention. My last post asking about the card
was ignored all together. It seems you have to be confrontational to
get any response in these groups. Anyway, about the card:

In the January 1996 issue of Multimedia in the article "Sound
Cards:More Noise Than Hi-Fidelity Audio" Their recommended sound
cards were the Turtle Beach Monterey and the Crystalake Series 140.
From the features offered on the two cards it sounds to me like the
Crystalake offering is the best sound card music and games. The music
is more important to me but I would like my games to work alright too.
The games are far less important but I do play the odd game of Doom II
or Duke Nukem.

Has anyone here actually used the Crystalake Series 140? How do the
midi patches sound compared to other cards like the Roland, Tropez,
Monterey, Gus Max? I think the qualilty of the Midi patches are more
important to me than anything else.

If you want more information on the Crystalake Series 140 check out
the following: http://www.teleport.com/~crystal/s100indx.htm.


Chris Demers
Information Services
London & Middlesex County Roman Catholic School Board

Web: http://lmcs.edu.on.ca

"Reality is for those who lack imagination"

Jason Dean Malone

unread,
Mar 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/20/96
to cde...@mfcinet.lmcs.edu.on.ca
cde...@mfcinet.lmcs.edu.on.ca (Chris Demers) wrote:
>I hope that got your attention. My last post asking about the card
>was ignored all together. It seems you have to be confrontational to
>get any response in these groups. Anyway, about the card:
>
>In the January 1996 issue of Multimedia in the article "Sound
>Cards:More Noise Than Hi-Fidelity Audio" Their recommended sound
>cards were the Turtle Beach Monterey and the Crystalake Series 140.
>From the features offered on the two cards it sounds to me like the
>Crystalake offering is the best sound card music and games. The music
>is more important to me but I would like my games to work alright too.
>The games are far less important but I do play the odd game of Doom II
>or Duke Nukem.
>
>Has anyone here actually used the Crystalake Series 140? How do the
>midi patches sound compared to other cards like the Roland, Tropez,
>Monterey, Gus Max? I think the qualilty of the Midi patches are more
>important to me than anything else.

Just another note: The above review that you mention
states that the Ensoniq Soundscape ELITE has the best General
MIDI patches, and best MIDI altogether of all the sound cards
reviewed.

They also noted than the Crystal Lake has a good DAC section.


Patrick R. Mullen

unread,
Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
to
>
> Crystalake 140 is the best Sound card!!! Just try to prove me wrong!
>
> cde...@mfcinet.lmcs.edu.on.ca (Chris Demers)
> Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:56:21 GMT
> London & Middlesex County Catholic Board of Ed
>
> Newsgroups:
>
comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.advocacy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,comp.s
ys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,
> comp.sys.ibm.soundcard.game

>
> I hope that got your attention. My last post asking about the card
> was ignored all together. It seems you have to be confrontational to
> get any response in these groups. Anyway, about the card:
> In the January 1996 issue of Multimedia in the article "Sound
> Cards:More Noise Than Hi-Fidelity Audio" Their recommended sound
> cards were the Turtle Beach Monterey and the Crystalake Series 140.
> From the features offered on the two cards it sounds to me like the
> Crystalake offering is the best sound card music and games. The music
> is more important to me but I would like my games to work alright too.
> The games are far less important but I do play the odd game of Doom II
> or Duke Nukem.
> Has anyone here actually used the Crystalake Series 140? How do the
> midi patches sound compared to other cards like the Roland, Tropez,
> Monterey, Gus Max? I think the qualilty of the Midi patches are more
> important to me than anything else.
> If you want more information on the Crystalake Series 140 check out
> the following: http://www.teleport.com/~crystal/s100indx.htm.
> Chris Demers
> Information Services
> London & Middlesex County Roman Catholic School Board
> Web: http://lmcs.edu.on.ca
> "Reality is for those who lack imagination"

I have both a CLMI 120 and 140 soundcard (the 120 has 1 MByte of sample
ROM, the 140 4 MBytes), and have found them to be excellent (the CLMI
boards use a CS4232 codec, filter the 5-volt and 12-volt ISA power lines
to reduce peripheral cross-chatter, and employ 4-layer designs [unlike
cheaper cards which are only 2-layer, and have less digital/analog
shielding]).

Unfortunately, I have received a number of complaints from CrystaLake
Multimedia would-be customers who paid for soundcards, but never
received product. I would recommend that people use a little
common-sense caution when dealing with CLMI.

If anyone has actually RECEIVED a CLMI 140 that they purchased, I would
like to hear from them.

PRM


Patrick R. Mullen

unread,
Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
to
>
> Re: Crystalake 140 is the best Sound card!!! Just try to prove me
wrong!
>
> Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone>
> 20 Mar 1996 17:00:38 GMT
> North Carolina State University
>
> Newsgroups:
>
comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.advocacy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,comp.s
ys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,
> comp.sys.ibm.soundcard.game
> References:
> <4ijuag$9...@govonca3.gov.on.ca>

>
> cde...@mfcinet.lmcs.edu.on.ca (Chris Demers) wrote:
> >I hope that got your attention. My last post asking about the card
> >was ignored all together. It seems you have to be confrontational to
> >get any response in these groups. Anyway, about the card:
> >
> >In the January 1996 issue of Multimedia in the article "Sound
> >Cards:More Noise Than Hi-Fidelity Audio" Their recommended sound
> >cards were the Turtle Beach Monterey and the Crystalake Series 140.
> >From the features offered on the two cards it sounds to me like the
> >Crystalake offering is the best sound card music and games. The
music
> >is more important to me but I would like my games to work alright
too.
> >The games are far less important but I do play the odd game of Doom
II
> >or Duke Nukem.
> >
> >Has anyone here actually used the Crystalake Series 140? How do the
> >midi patches sound compared to other cards like the Roland, Tropez,
> >Monterey, Gus Max? I think the qualilty of the Midi patches are more
> >important to me than anything else.
> Just another note: The above review that you mention
> states that the Ensoniq Soundscape ELITE has the best General
> MIDI patches, and best MIDI altogether of all the sound cards
> reviewed.
> They also noted than the Crystal Lake has a good DAC section.

Several people have contacted me complaining that CrystaLake Multimedia
has NOT shipped any of the soundcards they ordered. When these
individuals gave their credit card numbers over the phone to CLMI, they
were told that the 140 soundcards they were ordering would be shipped
"the same day". Two weeks (or more) later, they were told that shipment
of the 140 was being held-up due to problems with the "win '95 SRS
software". We would like to advise that anyone planning to purchase a
CLMI 140 use some caution.

PRM


arbi

unread,
Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
to

>Several people have contacted me complaining that CrystaLake Multimedia
>has NOT shipped any of the soundcards they ordered. When these
>individuals gave their credit card numbers over the phone to CLMI, they
>were told that the 140 soundcards they were ordering would be shipped
>"the same day". Two weeks (or more) later, they were told that shipment
>of the 140 was being held-up due to problems with the "win '95 SRS
>software". We would like to advise that anyone planning to purchase a
>CLMI 140 use some caution.

I don't know what is up with CLMI. However, if anyone wnats to know the worst
case scenario for ordering a card avaialable only from the manufacturer, you
may want to find out more about Kalix. This was supposed to be an awesome
RAM/ROM soundcard that many people pre-ordered at a "promotional" price. I
don't think it ever shipped though people's credit cards were charged. It's
probably not that bad here since there was at least a review of the card,
suggesting that it does actually exist! Happy card hunting.

arbi

steve johnson

unread,
Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
to
prmu...@MCIMail.com (Patrick R. Mullen) wrote:

>>
>> Crystalake 140 is the best Sound card!!! Just try to prove me wrong!
>>

>I have both a CLMI 120 and 140 soundcard (the 120 has 1 MByte of sample

>ROM, the 140 4 MBytes), and have found them to be excellent (the CLMI
>boards use a CS4232 codec, filter the 5-volt and 12-volt ISA power lines
>to reduce peripheral cross-chatter, and employ 4-layer designs [unlike
>cheaper cards which are only 2-layer, and have less digital/analog
>shielding]).

>Unfortunately, I have received a number of complaints from CrystaLake
>Multimedia would-be customers who paid for soundcards, but never
>received product. I would recommend that people use a little
>common-sense caution when dealing with CLMI.

>If anyone has actually RECEIVED a CLMI 140 that they purchased, I would
>like to hear from them.

>PRM

I just ordered a 140, and time will tell if it comes promptly.
However, Jhana offered the following information without being asked:
That they were having production problems until recently due to
supplier shortages, but that this was behind them and that they have
140's in stock. If this information turns out to be false, I will post
a message to this newsgroup.

Beyond this, I must say it is nice for a change to be able to speak
with a friendly & helpful person from a soundcard
manufacturer/retailer. My Roland / Leigh's experience was a nightmare.


Chris Szymczak

unread,
Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
to
prmu...@MCIMail.com (Patrick R. Mullen) wrote:
>>
>> Re: Crystalake 140 is the best Sound card!!! Just try to prove me
>wrong!
>>
>Several people have contacted me complaining that CrystaLake Multimedia
>has NOT shipped any of the soundcards they ordered. When these
>individuals gave their credit card numbers over the phone to CLMI, they
>were told that the 140 soundcards they were ordering would be shipped
>"the same day". Two weeks (or more) later, they were told that shipment
>of the 140 was being held-up due to problems with the "win '95 SRS
>software". We would like to advise that anyone planning to purchase a
>CLMI 140 use some caution.
>
>PRM
>
Something is up with this company... they are too busy.... they don't return calls
or emails to their website... I wouldn't advise that anyone order a win95 version
until someone (possibly me??) recieves a sound card... I am informing my credit
card company about this- I won't pay for a card unless the UPS truck is outside...


walter kneis

unread,
Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
to
Jason Dean Malone wrote:
>
> cde...@mfcinet.lmcs.edu.on.ca (Chris Demers) wrote:
> >I hope that got your attention. My last post asking about the card
> >was ignored all together. It seems you have to be confrontational to
> >get any response in these groups. Anyway, about the card:
> >
> >In the January 1996 issue of Multimedia in the article "Sound
> >Cards:More Noise Than Hi-Fidelity Audio" Their recommended sound
> >cards were the Turtle Beach Monterey and the Crystalake Series 140.
> >From the features offered on the two cards it sounds to me like the
> >Crystalake offering is the best sound card music and games. The music
> >is more important to me but I would like my games to work alright too.
> >The games are far less important but I do play the odd game of Doom II
> >or Duke Nukem.
> >
> >Has anyone here actually used the Crystalake Series 140? How do the
> >midi patches sound compared to other cards like the Roland, Tropez,
> >Monterey, Gus Max? I think the qualilty of the Midi patches are more
> >important to me than anything else.
>
> Just another note: The above review that you mention
> states that the Ensoniq Soundscape ELITE has the best General
> MIDI patches, and best MIDI altogether of all the sound cards
> reviewed.
>
> They also noted than the Crystal Lake has a good DAC section.

I had stated earlier that I'd post a short "review" of the 140, which I
ordered some time ago (and is still on order), as soon as I receive and
install the unit. Unfortunately, I was informed by CrystaLake that they
had some problems with the SRS software programming done for use in
Win95, which delayed the original ship date. Now I've been told that a
unit is on the way, but that a replacement unit will be following, since
a manufacturing error resulted in some operative problems with the card.

Yes, I know it's a new product, and we're off to a rocky start, but I'll
stick it out & let you know how the card sounds. BTW, I've been told by
a knowledgeable source that the ROM set is 'on a par' with the Roland
SCD-15.

walter kneis

unread,
Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
to
Chris Szymczak wrote:
>
> prmu...@MCIMail.com (Patrick R. Mullen) wrote:
> >>
> >> Re: Crystalake 140 is the best Sound card!!! Just try to prove me
> >wrong!
> >>
> >> Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone>
> >> 20 Mar 1996 17:00:38 GMT
> >> North Carolina State University
> >>
> >> Newsgroups:
> >>
>
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.advocacy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech,comp.s
> >ys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,
> >> comp.sys.ibm.soundcard.game
> >> References:
> >> <4ijuag$9...@govonca3.gov.on.ca>
> >>
> >> cde...@mfcinet.lmcs.edu.on.ca (Chris Demers) wrote:
> >> >I hope that got your attention. My last post asking about the card
> >> >was ignored all together. It seems you have to be confrontational to
> >> >get any response in these groups. Anyway, about the card:
> >> >
> >> >In the January 1996 issue of Multimedia in the article "Sound
> >> >Cards:More Noise Than Hi-Fidelity Audio" Their recommended sound
> >> >cards were the Turtle Beach Monterey and the Crystalake Series 140.
> >> >From the features offered on the two cards it sounds to me like the
> >> >Crystalake offering is the best sound card music and games. The
> >music
> >> >is more important to me but I would like my games to work alright
> >too.
> >> >The games are far less important but I do play the odd game of Doom
> >II
> >> >or Duke Nukem.
> >> >
> >> >Has anyone here actually used the Crystalake Series 140? How do the
> >> >midi patches sound compared to other cards like the Roland, Tropez,
> >> >Monterey, Gus Max? I think the qualilty of the Midi patches are more
> >> >important to me than anything else.
> >> Just another note: The above review that you mention
> >> states that the Ensoniq Soundscape ELITE has the best General
> >> MIDI patches, and best MIDI altogether of all the sound cards
> >> reviewed.
> >> They also noted than the Crystal Lake has a good DAC section.
> >
> >Several people have contacted me complaining that CrystaLake Multimedia
> >has NOT shipped any of the soundcards they ordered. When these
> >individuals gave their credit card numbers over the phone to CLMI, they
> >were told that the 140 soundcards they were ordering would be shipped
> >"the same day". Two weeks (or more) later, they were told that shipment
> >of the 140 was being held-up due to problems with the "win '95 SRS
> >software". We would like to advise that anyone planning to purchase a
> >CLMI 140 use some caution.
> >
> >PRM
> >
> Something is up with this company... they are too busy.... they don't return calls
> or emails to their website... I wouldn't advise that anyone order a win95 version
> until someone (possibly me??) recieves a sound card... I am informing my credit
> card company about this- I won't pay for a card unless the UPS truck is outside...

I think I'm probably the guy that Pat Mullen was referring to in his
post.

Well - I can tell you that CrystaLake has informed me that that my 140
has finally shipped. And now the bad news...a replacement unit will be
following shortly, as the shipped board apparently contains some
glitches which are related to the manufacturing process. I've been given
an April 8 (at the latest)date for receipt of the replacement board. I
won't say it hasn't become frustrating, but to be honest, I think the
only reason I haven't cancelled the order is because CrystaLake HAS
returned my calls and responded to my e-mail...always promptly. I've
never had a problem contacting the company, and have always been able to
get the info I need (though it's not always what I was hoping to hear)
which is the main reason I decided to forget Turtle Beach and buy the
CLMS card.

Patrick R. Mullen

unread,
Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
to walter kneis
walter kneis wrote:
>

*** Text Deleted ***

> I had stated earlier that I'd post a short "review" of the 140, which I
> ordered some time ago (and is still on order), as soon as I receive and
> install the unit. Unfortunately, I was informed by CrystaLake that they
> had some problems with the SRS software programming done for use in
> Win95, which delayed the original ship date. Now I've been told that a
> unit is on the way, but that a replacement unit will be following, since
> a manufacturing error resulted in some operative problems with the card.

Jeez, not another problem! And with the hardware this time!

But, I have to hand it to CrystaLake Multimedia: what other company would admit to the problem, and then ship
a RMA replacement WITHOUT waiting for the end-users to find the problem and complain. CLMI is obviously
trying hard NOT to make the same mistakes that other soundcard companies have done.

> Yes, I know it's a new product, and we're off to a rocky start, but I'll

> stick it out & let you know how the card sounds...

We've been hearing at the lab that some of the early Gravis InterWave boards may have problems with the analog
audio stage. People are reporting that their GUS InterWave PnP boards are producing a large amount of hiss
and noise. It seems like CLMI and Gravis may be in the same boat: start-up mass production problems creeping
into the manufacturing. All of this reminds me of the time a batch of GUS MAX boards were produced, where a
single wrong capacitor changed the line-out S/N from 85 dB to 65 dB.

> BTW, I've been told by
> a knowledgeable source that the ROM set is 'on a par' with the Roland
> SCD-15.

Actually, the CLMI 140 sounds better than the SCD-15 (at least the beta-unit in our lab does). I look forward
to seeing a post from you your experiences.

Cheers!

Pat Mullen
MSS Lab Group

Patrick R. Mullen

unread,
Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
to walter kneis
walter kneis wrote:

*** text deleted ***

> Well - I can tell you that CrystaLake has informed me that that my 140
> has finally shipped. And now the bad news...a replacement unit will be
> following shortly, as the shipped board apparently contains some
> glitches which are related to the manufacturing process. I've been given
> an April 8 (at the latest)date for receipt of the replacement board. I
> won't say it hasn't become frustrating, but to be honest, I think the
> only reason I haven't cancelled the order is because CrystaLake HAS
> returned my calls and responded to my e-mail...always promptly. I've
> never had a problem contacting the company, and have always been able to
> get the info I need (though it's not always what I was hoping to hear)
> which is the main reason I decided to forget Turtle Beach and buy the
> CLMS card.

Walter:

I exchanged some E-Mail with Steve Purves at CrystaLake Multimedia
concerning some of the reports I have been seeing about CLMI 140
soundcard shipments. I appears to me now that CLMI is bending over
backwards to make sure people get what they ordered. Also, the Win '95
SRS control problem has been solved, and the boards are shipping with
full Win '95 support.

This hardware problem you mention is new to me: still, on the bright
side, at least CrystaLake Multimedia alerted people to the problem
BEFORE the end-users discovered it, and are willing to automaticaly
RMA-out the defective units. No other soundcard company on this planet
has ever done that in my experience. Usually, the buyer ends up a being
an involuntary production beta-tester, and has to beat down the doors of
the Company to get a response. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with
the response of CrystaLake Multimedia.

If the board you receive sounds anything like the beta-test prototypes
in our lab, your going to like it a lot. It's worth waiting for a
de-bugged unit with the proper software support.

0 new messages