EGA-Cards in my IBM PC RT 6150

Andreas Wilk

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
Hi out there!
Does anybody know anything about the RT supporting old PC-EGA/
CGA-Cards?
I just put in one of those (MaxLogic MX656, also in need of
description for that) into my RT and it just stopped showing
20 - c6 on the LED. Any ideas how to get non-IBM-EGAs work in
RTs?

-Michael Wilk

Andreas Wilk

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
Andreas Wilk (sz0...@cd4680fs.rrze.uni-erlangen.de) wrote:
: Hi out there!

: -Michael Wilk

Ups? I got it running. Well, not really. It boots up
fine but shows weird characters. Something like "D89C ?>5
<??;C G59B4" whioch means "this one looks weired" ;-))
What's the problem with that? It looks like the RT wants to send
data to the IBM Monochrome Display and Printer Adapter which
confuses my EGA-Card.
Hope someone can help me.

-Michael Wilk

Clark Gaylord

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95
Andreas Wilk wrote, Wed, 17 May 1995 19:22:27 +0200:
: Ups? I got it running. Well, not really. It boots up

: fine but shows weird characters. Something like "D89C ?>5
: <??;C G59B4" whioch means "this one looks weired" ;-))
: What's the problem with that? It looks like the RT wants to send
: data to the IBM Monochrome Display and Printer Adapter which
: confuses my EGA-Card.

As I recall, there are two types of EGA cards: using vs not using
IRQ9. I believe the RT requires IRQ9 use. There may have been two
different IBM cards, for that matter. From the Hardware Maintenance
and Service Manual:

The IBM PC EGA attaches the IBM 5154 Enh Color Disp to the system
unit. The IBM PC EGA contains 64KB of display memory. The
display memory size can be expanded to 256KB by adding the IBM PC
Graphics Memory Expansion Card (64KB) and the IBM PC Graphics
Memory Kit (128KB) to the adapter.

Specs:
Slots: 3, 6
I/O addresses: 03C0-03DF
Memory addresses: 0A0000-0BFFFF
BIOS addresses: 0C0000-0C3FFFF
Interrupt level: 9
Max number: 1
Jumper settings: <diagram of card with settings>
P3: jumper top two of three pins
P1: jumper bottom two for Personal Computer Display,
jumper top two for Enhanced Color Display

There are three tables of switch settings for the mode switches (four
DIP switches at the edge of the card).
1. when ONE of the following is true:
a. the AT Coproc opt is NOT installed.
b. the attached EGA adapter is not assigned to the AT Coproc opt.
c. the EGA is assigned to the AT Coproc opt in SHARED mode.

SW1 SW2 SW3 SW4
5154 Enh Color Disp OFF ON ON OFF
5151 Pers Comp Disp OFF OFF ON OFF

2. when ALL the following are true:
a. 5151 PCD is attached to EGA.
b. 5151 is assigned to AT Coproc opt in DEDICATED mode.
c. Another disp may also be installed and assigned to the AT Coproc
as a second disp.

5151 assignment Second disp mode SW1 SW2 SW3 SW4
Primary 80x25 Color OFF OFF ON OFF
Primary 40x25 Color ON OFF ON OFF
Secondary 80x25 Color OFF ON OFF ON
Secondary 40x25 Color ON ON OFF ON

3. when ALL the following are true:
a. 5154 EGD is attached to EGA.
b. 5154 is assigned to AT Coproc in DEDICATED mode.
c. Another disp may also be installed and assigned to the AT Coproc
as a second disp.

5154 assignment 5154 operating mode SW1 SW2 SW3 SW4
Primary 80x25 High Res OFF ON ON OFF
Primary 40x25 Enh Color ON ON ON OFF
Secondary 80x25 High Res OFF OFF OFF ON
Secondary 40x25 Enh Color ON OFF OFF ON