VRM can't see IDE hard drive.

John Clausen

Aug 1, 2011, 7:03:28 PM8/1/11
Hi All! Is anyone still out there?

I restored my IBM RT back in 1999. I put it into storage and now I am
going through the whole process again. I forgot everything....well
almost.

Older Seagate hard drives are getting pretty hard to find, so I have
tested my entire collection of old 4 GIG + drives. I found only one
that would allow VRM to boot without giving the LED code of 35.

Dboot will see the hard drive fine and configure it. VRM will not see
it at all and I have no option available to select a drive.

I have read that some people used an "updated" VRM and I am not sure I
am using that. I had the correct software at one time, but can't find
my archive form 1999.

The drive I am using is a Samsung 4 GIG....so the easy answer is that
I have to use a Seagate. I would LOVE to use a CF to IDE adapter!!!

Any ideas???

Thanks,
John

John Clausen

Aug 2, 2011, 8:26:34 AM8/2/11

I seem to be missing a step.

After I run dboot and configure the hard drive and before I start the
VRM install....it seems that I had to do something else...create a
partition maybe?
Anyway, I have a 210 MB Seagate hard drive in it now and I am having
the same problem. I can configure with dboot, but when I select 3 from
the VRM menu I can't select a hard drive.

Thanks again,
John

Rick Ekblaw

Aug 2, 2011, 7:51:20 PM8/2/11
John Clausen wrote:
> Anyway, I have a 210 MB Seagate hard drive in it now and I am having
> the same problem. I can configure with dboot, but when I select 3 from
> the VRM menu I can't select a hard drive.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, John, which type of RT/PC do you have? A
6151? All of the 6150 tower units that I recall only supported ESDI
drives. I remember running a 6150 with a pair of 314MB monsters, they
were pretty noisy.

Rick Ekblaw

John Clausen

Aug 3, 2011, 1:38:07 PM8/3/11
I did finally find a Seagate hard drive to try and had the same
problem until I moved the mpel into the top slots and the IDE
controller into slot 4. I can now boot the VRM disks and install the
VRM. Woohoo!! I now realize that I don't seem to have the AIX 2.2.1
installation/Maintenance disk that I need to continue. Does anyone out
there still have an image of this? It looks like I have everything
else.

Thanks again,
John

Email: jcla...@clausengis.com