A programmer's view of IBM's PC RT chip - anyone?

Ignatios Souvatzis

Nov 6, 2008, 12:30:22 PM11/6/08
Hello,

i'm looking for

Larry Heberlein
A programmer's view of IBM's PC RT chip
"Computer Languages", vol.3, issue 10, October 1986, pages 41-46

Unfortunately, there seems to be another journal of the same title,
where vol. 3 was issued in 1978, and that's the one in the library.

To make matters worse, the bibliographic databases out there -
be it ACM's, be it the German universities' - seem to confuse the
journals, assigning the latter's ISSN to the former's, so it will
be next to impossible to hunt it down through inter-library loan.

Does anybody out there have physical access to that article?

Regards,
Ignatios Souvatzis
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/

Ignatios Souvatzis

Nov 7, 2008, 5:30:48 AM11/7/08
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm looking for
>
> Larry Heberlein
> A programmer's view of IBM's PC RT chip
> "Computer Languages", vol.3, issue 10, October 1986, pages 41-46

> Unfortunately, there seems to be another journal of the same title,
> where vol. 3 was issued in 1978, and that's the one in the library.

Actually - one of the journals might be called "Computer Language"
(singular). Does this help you to help me?

-is

Ignatios Souvatzis

Nov 7, 2008, 7:59:39 AM11/7/08
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm looking for
>
> Larry Heberlein
> A programmer's view of IBM's PC RT chip
> "Computer Languages", vol.3, issue 10, October 1986, pages 41-46

> Unfortunately, there seems to be another journal of the same title,
> where vol. 3 was issued in 1978, and that's the one in the library.

At least ACM sorted it out in their database. So the one I'm looking
for is "Computer Language", ISSN 0749-2939. There's about one copy of
vol 3 issue 10 in all the German inter-library loan system; let's hope
the catalog is up-to-date.

-is

Ignatios Souvatzis

Nov 7, 2008, 10:15:58 AM11/7/08
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> i'm looking for
>
> Larry Heberlein
> A programmer's view of IBM's PC RT chip
> "Computer Languages", vol.3, issue 10, October 1986, pages 41-46

In case I can't get hold of this - is there any other description
of the ROMP CPU's registers, operation codes etc.?

Regards,
-is

John F. Carr

Nov 7, 2008, 7:40:51 PM11/7/08
In article <slrngh8mte....@marie.beverly.kleinbus.org>,

I have the three volume set of manuals from IBM with the
instruction set, and I probably remember most of the
instructions anyway. 16 GPRs, except that register 0 is
treated as 0 in an address context (same in RS/6000,
and I think same in 370). Opcode space for 16 special
purpose registers, of which the most interesting are
MQ (multiplier quotient, used in the multiply and
divide step instructions) and the condition codes.
Common instructions had two byte variants to save
space, e.g. a two byte two operand add and a four
byte three operand add.

--
John Carr (j...@mit.edu)