BC 3.1 has DPMI error on my machine

Andreas Spiegl

Jan 25, 1993, 4:21:01 AM1/25/93

I have a major problem with Borland CPP 3.1:

When I run either of bc.exe, bcc.exe, cpp.exe, etc I get:
DPMI server initialization error->machine not in database

Okay, after the first shock I read in the documentation that one
should run dpmiinst.exe in that case. I did and got the following:

A20 was already enabled, so test is meaningless
Cannot find method to enable A20

DPMIINST is unable to make a conclusive analysis of this machine

I have a 286 clone with 1 MB, am running DOS 5.0 on it. I tried with
HIMEM.SYS and without, but same error message.

I am also using the HyperDisk cache. When I tried to run DPMIINST
w/o that and w/o HIMEM.SYS, it worked and updated the dpmi database.
Now I can run TD, TASM, etc, but when I try BC to get the IDE:
Cannot load DPMIMEM.DLL
I checked: this file exists, even in the current directory (...\BIN)

Can anyone of you think of how I get that sucker to run, please?

Thanks so much in advance, I am desperate,
Andy.

Andreas (Andy) Spiegl, spi...@cs.utexas.edu
CS Graduate Student at University of Texas at Austin

Seng Kiat Boon Danial (Mr)

Jan 28, 1993, 4:39:27 AM1/28/93
To get my BC++ 3.1 to work on my 286 with 4 MB DRAM, I did the following:

1. Commented out the DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS instruction in CONFIG.SYS
2. Disabled all A20 control (my Chipset allowed me to permanently enable the
A20 line)
3. Started the system from afresh
4. Ran DPMIINST
5. After DPMIINST registered the machine configuration in the database, I
restored the commented line in CONFIG.SYS (ie. undo steps 1 & 2).

It worked subsequently.

Please try this out and let me know if it works. Regards.

Andreas Spiegl

Jan 29, 1993, 3:56:22 AM1/29/93

Unfortunately, it did not work.

But by telling from all the emails I got (Thanks to all!) I suppose
my problem is that I don't have enough memory.

Or is anyone out there who got it to run but has only 1 MB?
(Not 1 MB extended/expanded but just 1 MB)

Thanks,

Thomas Ehren

Jan 28, 1993, 4:31:40 PM1/28/93
Dear Andy,

if you read the Installation Notes ("Getting started"), you will find
that they say clearly that DPMIINST works only if you have "booted clear"
before.

To boot clear in this context means:
- Create a bootable disk (i.e. a floppy in A:, created as
a system disk)
- Create on this disk a CONFIG.SYS with only one entry:
FILES=20
- Create on this disk an AUTOEXEC.BAT with only one entry:
PATH=C:\DOS;C:\BORLANDC\BIN
(if you have installed BCC in the default directory; if
not yoy have to replace BORLANDC by the corresponding name)
- Reboot your machine from this disk in A:

Now you run DPMIINST.

(I did it on my machine, an ACER 915V without problems.)

Remove the disk from A: and reboot again.

If there remain problems, they say you will to have to remove things
from your CONFIG.SYS and your AUTOEXEC.BAT until you know which
software you run causes the problem.

Hope this helps

Thomas

| Thomas Ehren | A nuclear bomb in the morning |
| email: eh...@macha.orden.cl | can ruin the whole day. |

Tooraj Enayati

Jan 30, 1993, 6:24:16 AM1/30/93
spi...@cs.utexas.edu (Andreas Spiegl) writes:

>Unfortunately, it did not work.

>But by telling from all the emails I got (Thanks to all!) I suppose
>my problem is that I don't have enough memory.

>Or is anyone out there who got it to run but has only 1 MB?
>(Not 1 MB extended/expanded but just 1 MB)

>Thanks,
> Andy.
>--

Well Andy your are right, check out the user's guide page 4 it states
that you need 640K plus 1MB of extended memory to run the dos IDE (BC)
and at lease 2mB of extended memory to run the windows version (BCW).

Once you have the memory then you'll realize that just 286 isn't enoght
for it, as I was having problem with my 286 with 4MB RAM. For my it was
easily fixed: I upgraded my M/B to a 386DX40. Well I paid about AU$900 for
the package so I paid a fraction of that to upgrade. I must admit that
all that money was well spent BC loves the 386 and runs very happily. I
hope you can offort the upgrade, as BC is worth it.

Tooraj Enayati Melbourne Australia too...@daneel.rdt.monash.edu.au
Monash University Robotic and Digital Technology (Graduate/Alumni)