Need utility to park hard

MajorBBS: Quo

Sep 21, 1994, 4:18:45 AM9/21/94

-=> Quoting Internet: J...@cs.bu.edu to ** All ** <=-

> Can someone recommend a utility to park the heads on my HD before
> I shut it off.

Ummm... don't the newer ones automatically park the heads?

jfl...@wbb.com

... I'm an amateur crastinator. Someday I'll turn pro.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Dan

Sep 25, 1994, 7:28:02 PM9/25/94
MajorBBS: Quo (jfl...@wbb.com) wrote:

: -=> Quoting Internet: J...@cs.bu.edu to ** All ** <=-

: > Can someone recommend a utility to park the heads on my HD before
: > I shut it off.

: Ummm... don't the newer ones automatically park the heads?

You should NEVER park modern hard drives. Today's hard drives are
auto-parking and attempting to park one can result in damage to your
hard drive. Parking one attempts to move the head which has already
been put in a postion for a reason. The head will not want to move
and motor damage can occur.

--
STD Technology Inc. st...@ug.cs.dal.ca

Janos Szamosfalvi

Sep 27, 1994, 5:30:37 PM9/27/94
Dan (st...@ug.cs.dal.ca) wrote:

: You should NEVER park modern hard drives. Today's hard drives are

: auto-parking and attempting to park one can result in damage to your
: hard drive. Parking one attempts to move the head which has already
: been put in a postion for a reason. The head will not want to move
: and motor damage can occur.

Ummm, errr, the heads on modern HD's are parked when the computer
is powered down. So you can't possible park them with software
when they're parked by the hardware (unless you can run program
on a turned off computer :-)

Criggie the Wierd!

Sep 27, 1994, 8:56:13 PM9/27/94

They'll never be parked by hardware first.

The heads _can_ be parked with software. This instructs the drive to mode them
to a safe zone, normally outside the last track. Now when the drive notices a
power drop, it will park the heads before the power supply drops too low to
maintain the speed of disk and height of heads, etc.

Now why would parking via software damage something? I have an old Kalok HD,
which is supposed to be self parking, but I really don't trust it, due to its
three or more head crashes!!!! So I have a LO.BTM which runs Norton's Image on
both partitions, then parks the drive. Safe.

--
Criggie the Wierd!
`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'

S Widlake

Sep 27, 1994, 4:56:07 AM9/27/94
In article <CwpL6...@cs.dal.ca> st...@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dan) writes:
>From: st...@ug.cs.dal.ca (Dan)
>Subject: Re: Need utility to park hard ((IF YOU PARK HDD YOU SHOULD READ))
>Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 23:28:02 GMT

>MajorBBS: Quo (jfl...@wbb.com) wrote:

IGNORE THIS - This is total garbage.

Unless, of course, someone else knows better.
(Hard facts only - refer to some published .DOC)

If you want to park your drive you can.
Most modern drives park themselves.
Older ones don't - so these "need" parking
(but only if you're (re-)moving the drive)

>--
>STD Technology Inc. st...@ug.cs.dal.ca

What does STD stand for - "STupiD" perhaps ;-) ???

S.

- --
.sig - Still Under Construction ...

Janos Szamosfalvi

Sep 27, 1994, 11:19:08 PM9/27/94
Criggie the Wierd! (mis...@csc.canterbury.ac.nz) wrote:

: In article <36a2tt$s...@news.u.washington.edu>, sza...@stein3.u.washington.edu (Janos Szamosfalvi) writes:
: > Dan (st...@ug.cs.dal.ca) wrote:
: >
: > : You should NEVER park modern hard drives. Today's hard drives are
: > : auto-parking and attempting to park one can result in damage to your
: > : hard drive. Parking one attempts to move the head which has already
: > : been put in a postion for a reason. The head will not want to move
: > : and motor damage can occur.
: >
: > Ummm, errr, the heads on modern HD's are parked when the computer
: > is powered down. So you can't possible park them with software
: > when they're parked by the hardware (unless you can run program
: > on a turned off computer :-)

: They'll never be parked by hardware first.

Unless you use a utility to park them (and not very many people park
them with software nowadays) they'll be parked (supposed to be parked)
by the hardware.

: The heads _can_ be parked with software.

Read it again. I said once the heads are parked with hardware, you
can't do anything with software.

Anthony Evans - PG

Oct 3, 1994, 3:14:54 AM10/3/94

>: > : You should NEVER park modern hard drives. Today's hard drives are
>: > : auto-parking and attempting to park one can result in damage to your
>: > : hard drive. Parking one attempts to move the head which has already
>: > : been put in a postion for a reason. The head will not want to move
>: > : and motor damage can occur.
>: >

Modern drives are smart -- smart enough to ignore all kinds of instructions
which used to work on old drives without all the software translation they now
do in order to work their black art -- variable geometry and other such.
Cylinder 615 on a Seagate ST225 really was cylinder 615. Nowadays, there's no
such guarantee. My guess is that if you tell a modern drive to put its heads
in a position that doesn't exist it will laugh at you and continue as
if nothing had happened, instead of slamming its heads faithfully into a metal
stop. If you tell it to put its heads in a position which does exist, it will
be translated into another position, and may well move, but as has been
pointed out, when you switch off it will park itself where is has been
designed to do so, no matter what you have previously told it. I'd say it
doesn't matter what you do either way.

Anthony Evans
University of Natal, Durban
eva...@cc.und.ac.za

No problem is so great or so complicated that it can't be run away from.
Linus van Pelt.