Unable to run Setup programs via CD ROM

Dave Allen

Mar 22, 2004, 3:02:59 PM3/22/04
I have 3 PC's in the house, all having the same hardware and OS (Win XP
Home). 2 of the 3 PC's will run programs OK, but the 3rd, my daughters,
will not run 'setup' files from the CD-ROM. The CD and CD player are
working OK as I can access the CD directory and files such as .doc, .txt,
.jpg etc. It is only the setup file which refuses to run.

The same discs run OK in the other machines and I have even swapped around
the CD drives - my daughters drive works OK in another machine.

Anyone know if my daughter could have changed a setting in windows xp which
stops .exe files from running? Maybe a security setting somewhere?

Many thanks in advance

CWatters

Mar 26, 2004, 12:58:53 PM3/26/04

"Dave Allen" <dfa...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> I have 3 PC's in the house, all having the same hardware and OS (Win XP
> Home). 2 of the 3 PC's will run programs OK, but the 3rd, my daughters,
> will not run 'setup' files from the CD-ROM.

When you say it won't "run setup files" do you mean it won't _automatically_
start a program when you insert a CD? In which case try Right clicking on
the CD drive in "My Computer" then select Properties -> Auto Play.

... or do you mean you get an error of some kind?

Colin (not an MVP)