Dell Dimension 2400 questions

jeff

Sep 18, 2003, 4:16:27 PM9/18/03
I'm thinking about buying a Dell Dimension 2400, and have a few questions.

1) If I buy the system without a floppy drive, is it possible to boot up in
DOS mode from a CD-ROM? I'd like to be able to boot-up using an "emergency
startup" disk that lets me boot-up in DOS mode. (The reason I need to boot
up in DOS mode is so I can install a new removeable HD, which will be my
main drive, and I will then install either WinME, or WinXP Pro, from
scratch.)

2) I'm told the Dell Dimension 2400 has two free drive bays in addition to
the bay that holds the CD-ROM. My plan is to install two removable Hard
Drives in the two free drive bays, and to use one of the removable drives as
my main drive. This is what I'm currently doing with my existing system.
This lets me easily backup the HD, and I can even swap in a HD containing a
different operating system. Any reason why this strategy would not work
with the Dell Dimension 2400?

3) Am I correct in thinking that I don't need a "special Dell version" of XP
professional, or a "special dell version" of WinMe to run on the Dell
Dimension 2400? In other words, will plain old XPPro and Plain old WinME
run just fine on the Dell Dimension 2400?

Thanks.

Jeff

jeff

Sep 18, 2003, 4:38:05 PM9/18/03
Oops, it appears the Dimension 2400 only has two 5.25 drive bays with one
occupied by the CD-ROM, so hopefully another Dell system would have two free
5.25 drives without being too much more expensive.

Jeff