PC Server 330 cdrom missing

Blair Wilson

Apr 9, 2004, 3:04:32 AM4/9/04
HELP NEEDED!!

I have a IBM PC Server 330 with onboard ServeRaid controller.
After updating the bios/firmware (6.11.07) the cdrom is missing at boot. I
can see the cdrom when the mini-configuration is run. I can even se the
cdrom after booting into Windows 2000 Server.

Before upgrading the bios/firmware the cdrom was working without a problem.
What gives here? Is there a fix ? If so, please share it with me.

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. As always, thanks in
advance.

Blair

NuT CrAcKeR

Apr 10, 2004, 7:24:40 PM4/10/04
what problem did updating the bios on the 330 solve ? If it was purley
because there was a newer version, revert back to what you had before. If
it gave support for newer processors, and you are actually USING the newer
processors, then I would say you should call IBM on that one. maybe they
have a supported fix.

however, if you updated the ServeRaid FW unnecessarily ( some of the older
servers can only be updated so far), then you should go back and read the
spex on the compatability of the FW/BIOS that you installed.

NuTs

"Blair Wilson" <blair...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Blair Wilson

Apr 11, 2004, 3:50:47 AM4/11/04
Thanks NuTs for your feedback. Question, how do you install a older vrsion
of the bios/firmware? I was unable to install bios version 3.50c. If you
have any suggestions on this question, please share them with me. Thanks
again.

Blair

"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcr...@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

NuT CrAcKeR

Apr 11, 2004, 2:35:02 PM4/11/04
Did you DL and use the ServeRaid CD to flash the bios and FW ?

You may need to DL the files to make a floppy to override the intelligence
of the installer (that runs in Linux mode when you use ServeRaid).

NuTs

"Blair Wilson" <blair...@comcast.net> wrote in message

NuT CrAcKeR

Apr 11, 2004, 2:37:36 PM4/11/04
This bulletin has been in the back of my mind since i read your problem:

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-44621

however, I dont think it applies to you since you arent useing that server.

NuTs

NuT CrAcKeR

Apr 11, 2004, 2:51:03 PM4/11/04
Dude, I think you screwed the pooch.

Checking this link:
http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/productpage/
landingpages/productPageLandingPage.vm&brandind=8&familyind=50044&machineind
=0&modelind=0&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&doctypeind=9&doccategoryind=0
&operatingsystemind=52873&validate=true&nextdocumentset=51

I dont see an 3.50C for your server, just 46A :

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=GCOR-3BYCZH

Sorry man, but things arent look really good for you art the moment.

have your tried clearing the CMOS.. removing the cable from the CD, booting.
shutting down, then putting it back on (so the bios will notice that its
there between boots ?)

NuTs

Blair Wilson

Apr 12, 2004, 2:24:43 AM4/12/04
NuTs,

The 3.50c is bios update for ServeRaid, not the server itself. Here is the
link for 3.50C.

http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4LBRRG.

I will continue to research my problem. I will try your suggestion on
clearing the cmos, thanks again. I tried to install WinXP, while in W2K. It
failed, got BSOD when "starting windows" appears. The raid is a raid5. 6
disk total, 2 logical drives, I fat32, 1 NTFS. Istall maybe looking at wrong
harddrive to boot off of. Any suggestions here? All are welcomed.

Blair

"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcr...@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

Blair Wilson

Apr 14, 2004, 1:17:14 AM4/14/04
HELP NEEDED AGAIN!!!

I moved the scsi cdrom from the raid controller to the adaptec scsi
controller. I can boot from cdrom, but I can't install Windows XP. windows
XP can not find the drives when it reboots. ServeRaid mini utility sees the
raid-0 configuration. Any suggestions, ALL are welcomed.

Blair

NuT CrAcKeR

Apr 14, 2004, 9:23:14 AM4/14/04
F6 during the XP setup sp that you can sepcify the serveraid drivers.

you had the CDROM on the array controlle?

tsk tsk...

NuTs

"Blair Wilson" <blair...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Blair Wilson

Apr 14, 2004, 1:52:16 PM4/14/04
NuTs,

Yes, my raid controller had the scsi cdrom attached to it. I have pressed
F6 during Windows XP install and added the 6.11/3.50c serveraid drivers.
Still, when XP tries to run setup it can't find the drives. Any suggestions
there?

Blair
"NuT CrAcKeR" <nutcr...@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

NuT CrAcKeR

Apr 15, 2004, 5:28:20 AM4/15/04
you do have a vaild array container, do you not? You can boot from the
serveraid CD and run the tool, or you can run the CLI mini config to get
this. A simple raid 1 or raid 5 should suffice.

NuTs

"Blair Wilson" <blair...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Blair Wilson

Apr 20, 2004, 6:48:28 PM4/20/04
Nuts,

I moved the scsi cdrom from the raid controller to the adapted scsi
controller, at that point I was able to boot from W2K cd and install W2K.
I still was not able to install WinXP on this machine, so I am trying to put
Solaris 9 x86 on it.