Unusual lockup problem

Bob Riley

Oct 12, 2003, 11:45:09 AM10/12/03
Hi guys, I am having a problem with lockups on a new Athlon 2400+ system I
built. It's a 256MB system running Win98. A few symptoms:

-Every time the monitor would go into low energy mode and then switch back
on, the system would lock up.
-About one out of every three times the system would lock upon bootup - this
was resolved after I removed the power control logic from getting loaded
upon boot.
-Occasionally, when using the computer, the thing will spontaneously lockup.
This is particularly curious because I ran 12 hrs of memory/cpu tests
yesterday without a problem - within 10 min of normal usage
(browsing/reading email) it locked up.

Any ideas on what could be causing this or areas to investigate?

Thanks,

Bob

Shep©

Oct 12, 2003, 2:39:18 PM10/12/03
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:45:09 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Bob Riley" <do...@spamme.net>
wrote :

Did you disable the APM in the BIOS?It can conflict with window's APM.
Also clean the registry,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
and trim the startup group,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Eric Scofield

Oct 14, 2003, 12:38:02 AM10/14/03
> Did you disable the APM in the BIOS?It can conflict with window's APM.
> Also clean the registry,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
> and trim the startup group,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm
> http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html

You could go to "Start Menu" then "Run...." and type msconfig. Then go to
startup tab. On my system, I unchecked mostly everything but the virus
checker. This might help free up some of your system's resources. It could
help you, or maybe not.