Jumper Settings for ISA IDE-card

Martin Thiede

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99

i want to add a second ide channel to a 486 which has only one onboard.
Therefor i need the jumper settings of one of the following ISA
multiport/IDE cards:

FCC ID: JPDVAIDE-2SIPIG
Viva Computer Company
1 IDE, 1 FDD, 1 ser, 1 par/game (?)

FCC ID: JJW-SAB757G
Ably Tech Corporation
1 IDE, 1 FDD, 2 ser, 1 game

FCC ID: KXQWDH-7001C
Logisys Computer Co Ltd
2 IDE, 1FDD

I looked up the company names by FCC ID, but i couldn't find any
homepages with support (maybe Ably Tech has one in asian letters i can't
read).
In particular i need the jumper info to set up a second IDE channel on
IRQ 15.

Im still hopeful to find someone who got documentation to one of these
cards :)
Will appreciate any help!

Martin

Tom Schipper

Jan 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/8/99
You might want to check out the following web site:
http://www.peteweb.com/index.html
It's a good source of information, and may have what you need.

Good luck,

Tom

Martin Thiede (thi...@in.tum.de) wrote:
: Hi,

Franc Zabkar

Jan 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/10/99
On Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:00:37 +0100, Martin Thiede put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>i want to add a second ide channel to a 486 which has only one onboard.
>Therefor i need the jumper settings of one of the following ISA
>multiport/IDE cards:

>FCC ID: JJW-SAB757G

>Ably Tech Corporation
>1 IDE, 1 FDD, 2 ser, 1 game

I don't have the original paperwork, but this is what I was able to
work out by deduction and test:

COM and LPT I/O ports
---------------------

L H L H ------- JP5,7,9
H L L H ------- JP6,8,10
-------------------
COM A COM1 COM3 COM4 X
COM B COM2 COM4 COM3 X
LPT LPT2 LPT3 LPT1 X

X = disabled
LPT2 = 378h
LPT3 = 278h
LPT1 = 3BCh
COM1 = 3F8h
COM2 = 2F8h
COM3 = 3E8h
COM4 = 2E8h

IRQ settings
------------

3 3 7
. . .
. . . <--- 3 sets of 3 pins
. . .
4 4 5

| | |
| | |------ LPT, IRQ 5 or 7, JP16
| |--------- COM B, IRQ 3 or 4, JP15
|------------ COM A, IRQ 3 or 4, JP14

FD enable/disable
-----------------

JP11-L = FD enable
JP11-H = FD disable

HD enable/disable
-----------------

JP12-L = HD enable
JP12-H = HD disable

Game port enable/disable
------------------------

JP13-L = Game enable
JP13-H = Game disable

A/B change
----------
JP19 open = drives A: and B: normal
JP19 closed = swaps drives A: and B:

The following "jumpers" are etched into the PCB but don't have headers

JP3 = single IDE, normally open
JP4 = LPT UNIDIR, normally closed
8-bit bidirectional, open

Note: Cut this etch with a knife to double the speed of the LPT port
for use with a parallel port scanner. It works for me.

JP2 = IORDY/IOCHRDY

JP17 = Primary/Secondary FD (do not change this)

P S
0--0 0

JP18 = Primary/Secondary HD

I believe this port can be selected as the secondary IDE port by
cutting the etch and re-linking it as follows:

P S P S

However, I have not tested this last idea. If it works for you, please
let me know.

-- Franc Zabkar

Please remove one 'g' from my address when replying by email.