AMD 5x86-133 Overclocked to 160 MHz!!!!!!!!!!!! (Holy Shit!)

Philip Poe

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
My own experience with the AMD part on a non-blessed MB...

Jason Dean Malone (jdmalone) wrote:
: System config:
: ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
: 256k interleaved cache
: Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
: Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
: 8 MB RAM
:
ASUS VLISV2GX4 256KB cache STB LightSpeed VL 2MB (same chipset as herc) 16MB
:
: Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
: Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9
: Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3
: Pentium-100 316.9 24350% 100.0
: AMD 5x86-133 288.7 18050% 90.9
AMD 5x86-150(3x50) 324.7 100.0
: AMD 5x86-160 346.1 23550% 100.0
: Pentium-120 380.2 28850% 111.1
my next attempt will be to try a Cyrix 5x86 at 150MHz....

Jason Dean Malone

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)

Okay,

System config:
ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
256k interleaved cache
Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
8 MB RAM

Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9

Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3

Pentium-100 316.9 24350% 100.0

AMD 5x86-133 288.7 18050% 90.9

AMD 5x86-160 346.1 23550% 100.0

Pentium-120 380.2 28850% 111.1

Pentium scores (90, 100 MHz) taken in:
Intel Premeire II MB, Neptune chipset, 256k cache. Diamond Stealth 64

Pentium 120 score:
Taken in my other PC w/ Triton chipset, 512k PB cache, Hercules
Stingray/64

Cyrix 5x86 scores:
Averages taken from various sources

So, If you're looking for a good "upgrade" processor for
your 486, look no further (assuming your MB could handle
the O.C.) The AMD-160 definitely gives both the Pentium-90
and Pentium-100 a run for their money. (Best 50$ i've EVER
spent)

Greg Hughes

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
On 16 Feb 1996 03:17:35 GMT, Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone> wrote:

>Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
>and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
>It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
>close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
>Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
>AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
>around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)
>
>Okay,
>
>System config:
>ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
>256k interleaved cache
>Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
>Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
>8 MB RAM
>

> Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
>Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9
>
>Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3

Holy Shit is right!!! And just when I was thinking of getting a new
motherboard. Could you tell me exactly what you did to overclock the
chip to this speed? Did you boost the speed of the ISA bus above 33?
What speed is the base speed of the processor? I'm knowledgable about
the BIOS and jumper settings, but I'm kind of new to the overclocking
world. What can I do with my present DX2/66? Any info you can send me
will really be appreciated, and I'll let you know my results!!!

Regards,
Greg Hughes

ghug...@ix.netcom.com

fab...@li.net

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96

Hi
Take it from a guy that builds custom computers. and also sells
at computer shows.

Both the Cyrex and AMD 5x86 chips are FAR superior to ANYTHING ! that
pathetic Intel DREAMS of putting out !

However there are some things you need to know, I will share with you my
experiences with the 5x86 series of processors that I have had in the
past 2 months:

First off :
If you are purchasing chips that come with the motherboards, as a
package, DO NOT trust the jumper setting EVEN IF THEY ARE SILKSCREENED ON
THE BOARD. I have had quite a nightmare with this , but with a little
patience , I was able to safly pump up both AMD and Cyrex to well iver
140 mhz. But remember , you need to have a jumper selectable MB, dont try
it with MB that use one oscillator, it will not work.

If you want to overpump a 486 66 then as a maximum, use a 80 mhz
oscillator , and by all means use a heat sing with a respectable set of
balls.

Of particular interest to me is overclocking AMD 386 DX 40 chips. I have
pumped up these babies to well over 66 MHZ and I burn them in by running
them for about 1 week , non stop WITHOUT a heat sink. I have yet to see
one fail.
Fabo
fab...@li.net

Christopher E. Bennett

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
In article <4g635d$s...@linet06.li.net>, fab...@li.net wrote:

>Hi
> Take it from a guy that builds custom computers. and also
sells
>at computer shows.
>

>Of particular interest to me is overclocking AMD 386 DX 40 chips. I

have
>pumped up these babies to well over 66 MHZ and I burn them in by
running
>them for about 1 week , non stop WITHOUT a heat sink. I have yet to
see
>one fail.
>Fabo
>fab...@li.net

Hi... just curious: It sounds like you do this A LOT, and not just
for yourself. Do you sell these overclocked motherboard/CPU's?

The only concern I'd have is that your week long burn-in (which seems
like a lot of effort to save a few bucks, btw) might not detect a
problem with a seldom used opcode combination.

I am curious to know what is it about your business that leads to you
doing so much over-clocking? Do people actually _buy_ pre-overclocked
systems?? Over-clocking is a fun way to feel like your getting more
bang for your buck, but I'd think that's about the extent of it. I'd
certainly never _buy_ an overclocked system.

Chris Bennett (finger 'benn...@MCS.COM' for WWW, FTP, PGP, etc.)

"If, in reading this, you are uncertain as to whether a specific statement
is meant seriously or not, simply apply this rule of thumb: If the statement
makes you consider filing a lawsuit, I was kidding. Ha ha!" - Dave Barry

ric...@ix.netcom.com

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone> wrote:
Where did you buy the AMD-133? I would like to know
Rich-r...@ix.netcom.com

>Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
>and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
>It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
>close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
>Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
>AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
>around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)

>Okay,

>System config:
>ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
>256k interleaved cache
>Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
>Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
>8 MB RAM

> Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
>Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9

>Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3

>Pentium-100 316.9 24350% 100.0

F. Vega

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
On Mon, 19 Feb 1996 07:33:47 GMT, ric...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
%>
%>>So, If you're looking for a good "upgrade" processor for
%>>your 486, look no further (assuming your MB could handle
%>>the O.C.) The AMD-160 definitely gives both the Pentium-90
%>>and Pentium-100 a run for their money. (Best 50$ i've EVER
%>>spent)

Can you give me the name of your vendor?

I'm interested on buying AMD-160 for $50

[Posted with Agent .99d. For info, email agent...@forteinc.com.]

Kenneth

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
On Sat, 17 Feb 1996 17:08:07 GMT, ghug...@ix.netcom.com (Greg Hughes)
wrote:

>On 16 Feb 1996 03:17:35 GMT, Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone> wrote:
>
>>Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
>>and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
>>It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
>>close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
>>Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
>>AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
>>around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)
>>
>>Okay,
>>
>>System config:
>>ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
>>256k interleaved cache
>>Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
>>Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
>>8 MB RAM

Snip...

Hello Jason - Son of all overclockers....

Ooooooohhh YEEES ! IIIII love this !!

Please tell me how you did this (step by step)
I have the exact same motherboard as You !

I´m getting stomach-cramps of pure breathless excitement !!!

ps. Is this safe ? (my money are all gone!)

Regards Kenneth R

(oh my stomach...)

k...@imbmed.ou.dk

Michael Kreitmann

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PCI or VL ??
> >8 MB RAM

<CUT>

> Holy Shit is right!!! And just when I was thinking of getting a new
> motherboard. Could you tell me exactly what you did to overclock the
> chip to this speed? Did you boost the speed of the ISA bus above 33?

The ISA-Bus only runs at 8 MHz (okay, tuned it will run al 11 MHz too..)

Question bus-speed..... :

Thats a think, I would also be interested in..
Overclocking a 133 to 160 means running with 40 MHz external speed...
So, the PCI-Bus is also running at 40 MHz or does the Mainboard spilts
to speed to 20 MHz (??).
Running the PCI-Bus (with my Winner2000AVI-Graphics-Card) at 40 MHz
might cause a lot of trouble ??
Bus-speed tunig is always a little bit tricky, because of the exact
timings , the PCI-bus needs...
And nobody can really measure the PCI-Bus Clocks.....

And comments are welcome ...

Greets
Michael

> Regards,
> Greg Hughes
>
> ghug...@ix.netcom.com

Lionel Hutz, Esq.

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article <4g635d$s...@linet06.li.net> fab...@li.net writes:
>From: fab...@li.net
>Subject: Re: AMD 5x86-133 Overclocked to 160 MHz!!!!!!!!!!!! (Holy Shit!)
>Date: 18 Feb 1996 02:33:17 GMT

>Hi
> Take it from a guy that builds custom computers. and also sells
>at computer shows.

Uh oh...another "expert." Based upon the below post, you should think more
than twice before listening to, or buying, anything from this clown.

>Both the Cyrex and AMD 5x86 chips are FAR superior to ANYTHING ! that
>pathetic Intel DREAMS of putting out !

Superior to the i486 chips, sure. However, not superior to ANYTHING intel
produces (if money were not a factor, would you rather have a 5x86 or a
p5-166?)

>However there are some things you need to know, I will share with you my
>experiences with the 5x86 series of processors that I have had in the
>past 2 months:

>First off :
>If you are purchasing chips that come with the motherboards, as a
>package, DO NOT trust the jumper setting EVEN IF THEY ARE SILKSCREENED ON
>THE BOARD. I have had quite a nightmare with this , but with a little
>patience , I was able to safly pump up both AMD and Cyrex to well iver
>140 mhz. But remember , you need to have a jumper selectable MB, dont try
>it with MB that use one oscillator, it will not work.

I'll agree with faulty screens on a few boards. However, I've also seen faulty
manuals. What should a person trust, pray tell? Just randomly move jumpers?
And if you're going to sell "Cyrex," at least spell it correctly.

140 mhz??? Most 486 boards are selectable for 25, 33, 40 and/or 50 mhz. 140
mhz is a mystery multiple of one of these clock rates.

>If you want to overpump a 486 66 then as a maximum, use a 80 mhz

>oscillator, and by all means use a heat sing with a respectable set of
>balls.

I love those heat sings...they are music to my ears!

>Of particular interest to me is overclocking AMD 386 DX 40 chips. I have
>pumped up these babies to well over 66 MHZ and I burn them in by running
>them for about 1 week , non stop WITHOUT a heat sink. I have yet to see
>one fail.

You are either insane, a liar, or really stupid...I vote the latter. Burn them
in...right. First, practically all 386 boards are those single clock boards
you mentioned earlier. To change the clock, you must swap out the mod-osc can
which runs at 2x the cpu clock. This certainly can be done, with some success
(especially 50 to 66 mhz and 33 to 80). I've tried to run a 100mhz in mine
(for a 386dx50) with no success. While it is possible the cpu will run that
fast, I'm pretty sure the board itself won't...it certainly won't run with a
130+mhz osc. Besides, where are you finding such parts? I've never seen a ttl
mod osc that runs at over 100mhz (I'd love to find a 88 or 90 mhz can, but the
only thing I've found faster than an 80 is the 100).

There is absolutely no 386/486 board which runs a cpu at an external clock
greater than 50 mhz. Period.

You're probably running your 386dx40 at 33 rather than 66. No wonder it's
stable. That burn-in technique of yours is also a joke.

Once again, a computer technician/vendor/expert who couldn't find his ass with
both hands. He knows even less about computers than that esquire@io knows
about law!!!

>Fabo
>fab...@li.net

>ghug...@ix.netcom.com (Greg Hughes) wrote:
>>On 16 Feb 1996 03:17:35 GMT, Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone> wrote:
>>
>>>Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
>>>and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
>>>It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
>>>close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
>>>Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
>>>AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
>>>around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)
>>>
>>>Okay,
>>>
>>>System config:
>>>ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
>>>256k interleaved cache
>>>Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
>>>Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB

>>>8 MB RAM
>>>

>>> Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
>>>Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9
>>>
>>>Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3
>>>

>>Holy Shit is right!!! And just when I was thinking of getting a new
>>motherboard. Could you tell me exactly what you did to overclock the
>>chip to this speed? Did you boost the speed of the ISA bus above 33?

Raymond Scott Fellers

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
Michael Kreitmann (krei...@rhrk.uni-kl.de) wrote:

: Question bus-speed..... :

: Thats a think, I would also be interested in..
: Overclocking a 133 to 160 means running with 40 MHz external speed...
: So, the PCI-Bus is also running at 40 MHz or does the Mainboard spilts
: to speed to 20 MHz (??).
: Running the PCI-Bus (with my Winner2000AVI-Graphics-Card) at 40 MHz
: might cause a lot of trouble ??
: Bus-speed tunig is always a little bit tricky, because of the exact
: timings , the PCI-bus needs...
: And nobody can really measure the PCI-Bus Clocks.....

I've got my AMD 486 running at 160 MHz (very stable) with the PCI bus
running at 40 MHz. On my board the PCI bus speed is selectable through
the BIOS settings. BTW, I'm using a #9 Vision 330 video card.

Raymond Fellers | | | |\ | | | \ /
The Saykally Research Group | |__ | | \| |__| / \
Laser Spectroscopy/VdW Clusters |
r...@uclink3.berkeley.edu | http://www.zoom.com/~rsf

Lance Cheney

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
Jason Dean Malone (jdmalone) wrote:
[crap deleted]
:
: System config:

: ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
: 256k interleaved cache
: Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
: Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
: 8 MB RAM

: Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
: Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9
:
: Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3

:
: Pentium-100 316.9 24350% 100.0

:
: AMD 5x86-133 288.7 18050% 90.9
:
: AMD 5x86-160 346.1 23550% 100.0
:
: Pentium-120 380.2 28850% 111.1

:
[more stuff deleted]

For one thing -- use a REAL benchmark. SI 8.0 runs COMPLETELY out
of the internal cache (turn of the external cache -- it won't make any
difference). From what I see, so does the PC-Config. 3d-bench is a total
joke -- I've got the same computer and the same SI benchmark but I get 67
FPS. Why? Because I have a slow video card. Why don't you post something
useful, like a PCBENCH Cpumark or something. Just to get things started I
get a 150 with my AMD5x86 at 50x3 (this is pretty slow, BTW, but my old
486-33 got 42 so...)

Overall I do think the processor is good - very good memory
performance and good overall CPU performance; just don't compare it
without using something that will give real-world results. The other
thing is that not all the CPUs will do 160Mhz (mine won't, even with all
the wait states on -- runs fine in DOS, but crashes in Windows and
Autocad). There's a lot more to the computer than just the processor.

:
: So, If you're looking for a good "upgrade" processor for
: your 486, look no further (assuming your MB could handle
: the O.C.) The AMD-160 definitely gives both the Pentium-90
: and Pentium-100 a run for their money. (Best 50$ i've EVER
: spent)
:

Oh, one other thing -- the FPU is REALLY slow compared to the
Pentium ones. About 50%-60% as fast as a P-90. Good if you never use it
--otherwise don't waste your money.

Just my $.02

L8r-

-Lance

TAN TOT LIT

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
Kenneth (k...@imbmed.ou.dk) wrote:
: Please tell me how you did this (step by step)

: I have the exact same motherboard as You !

ASUS PVI-486SP3?

1) Open up ur casing.
2) Look for a small chip between the VL slot and the cache ram.
3) If the chip reads VIA VT8228 then set jumper

JP25 JP26 JP27 JP28
from 33MHz 1&2 2&3 2&3 1&2
to 40MHz 1&2 1&2 1&2 2&3

else if chip reads AV9155

JP25 JP26 JP27 JP28
from 33MHz 1&2 1&2 2&3 1&2
to 40MHz 1&2 2&3 1&2 1&2

That's it.

Any one knows the setting for 50MHz, it is not in my manual.

--
~Frisky Kitty~
!*% T-3..............T-2.............T-1.............BOOM.....................

fab...@li.net

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
to c62...@mizzou1.missouri.edu
Hi:
Below is an example of " There is no one as well informed as the mis
informed"

As most of you that have been following this thread know, and those of
you that have experimented with said chips KNOW. What I have spoken here
and the advice I have given to you is for all practical purposes , TRUE.

Ok, that out of the way. It apears that this gentlemen has a VAST
knowledge of , well, nothing, well, I shouldnt say that, he seems to me
to have a keen eye for spelling errors.

It is JUST THESE people that the eager to learn consumer needs to watch
out for.
Ill state some cases of the uniformed claimes that he vomited SOOO
irresponsibly.

He apparantly KNOWS that Intel is the fastest chip around
( This proves my theory that the dong ding dong ding sound at the end of
the intel comercials is in actuality a subliminal brainwashing technique
that works only on Superintelligent specimens like this fella)

He displays the TYPICAL " I KNOW you're wrong , but Ill challenge you to
explain it in words my larvae brain can handle" ( That way, I can, if it
sinks in to my limited intelligence, go and shoot my mouth off to other
people , like I really know what Im talking about)
Look, I can go on, but those of you that understood what I was saying,
know these things to be true.

Those that dont.... Well asking is always good, but make sure that you
get a second opinion. That goes for any advice that I give you also.

As for this guy, well, hey if he is ever in NY and would like a lesson or
two on system configuration, Hey Ill do whatever I can to illuminate a
dull mind.

I ask all who have been following and contributing to this tred, that you

Later !
Fabo
fab...@li.net

131A60000-FortuneBN(DR9895)310

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96

/////////////// stuff deleted ////////////////

How about taking this rambling babble off line.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <4ge547$g...@linet06.li.net> fab...@li.net writes:
>From: fab...@li.net
>Subject: Re: AMD 5x86-133 Overclocked to 160 MHz!!!!!!!!!!!! (Holy Shit!)
>Date: 21 Feb 1996 03:55:51 GMT

>Hi:
>Below is an example of " There is no one as well informed as the mis
>informed"

>As most of you that have been following this thread know, and those of
>you that have experimented with said chips KNOW. What I have spoken here
>and the advice I have given to you is for all practical purposes , TRUE.

I have never seen any reports, except for yours, of overclocking a 386dx40,
particularly to 66 mhz. The fact is that the motherboards are simply incapable
of running at such speeds. You are likely underclocking your board, but are
simply too stupid to realize it.

>Ok, that out of the way. It apears that this gentlemen has a VAST
>knowledge of , well, nothing, well, I shouldnt say that, he seems to me
>to have a keen eye for spelling errors.

>It is JUST THESE people that the eager to learn consumer needs to watch
>out for.

Well, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. You're the one spreading bad
advice and (perhaps) hosing nice consumers downin your role as computer
expert and vendor. As for spelling errors, I don't flame common typos...but
for a "vendor" to grossly misspell his wares (the "i" isn't too close to the
"e" on your keyboard, is it?) is an open invitation.

>Ill state some cases of the uniformed claimes that he vomited SOOO
>irresponsibly.

Uniformed? My vomited "claimes" are naked as a jaybird, fabio.;)

>He apparantly KNOWS that Intel is the fastest chip around
>( This proves my theory that the dong ding dong ding sound at the end of
>the intel comercials is in actuality a subliminal brainwashing technique
>that works only on Superintelligent specimens like this fella)

My, you've developed theories about the effects of the mass media. Quite the
budding George Gerbner, aren't we? Of course, you didn't read my post very
well. I like the AMD and Cyrix 486 clones (well,except that those Cyrix 486
dlc/slc things were a piece of shit!). PC Mag now reports a faster
winstone for a Cyrix 6x86 p166+ than any tested p5-166. However, the fastest
machines generally on the market are all Pentiums, not Cyrix, AMD, nor Nexgen.
I'm no intel lover, but intel products are not automatically crap.

>He displays the TYPICAL " I KNOW you're wrong , but Ill challenge you to
>explain it in words my larvae brain can handle" ( That way, I can, if it
>sinks in to my limited intelligence, go and shoot my mouth off to other
>people , like I really know what Im talking about)
> Look, I can go on, but those of you that understood what I was saying,
>know these things to be true.

No one knows how you oc a 386 to 66 mhz. Please enlighten us. Tell us how many
wait states you need to put in for the cache and main memory? Do we change
jumpers or the mod-osc can? C'mon fabioboy, we larva brains want to know!

>Those that dont.... Well asking is always good, but make sure that you
>get a second opinion. That goes for any advice that I give you also.

Fabio don't know diddly. If you ask for a second opinion about his advice
(note that he is unable to tell anyone how to oc the 386), they would likely
laugh at you and tell you fab is one dumb bunny.

>As for this guy, well, hey if he is ever in NY and would like a lesson or
>two on system configuration, Hey Ill do whatever I can to illuminate a
>dull mind.

Please enlighten me, oh great shaven-chested blonde-tressed calendar boy
fabio. Tell all of us with 386 machines how to "overpump." I don't know
everything, but I do know that I can lay claim (at least until someone posts a
better score) to having THE FASTEST 386 IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. That's right,
consult the pcbench 9.0 benchmark list, look towards the end of the list (hey,
it's still just a 386!), and the highest ranking 386 is mine. I've actually
tweaked it a tad higher since then, getting a dosmark of about 215 (I'll have
to double check the exact number when I get home). I've tried oc'ing the
machine to a 50 mhz, but it would hang, sometimes on boot and sometimes
shortly after starting. If someone can steer me to a source for a 90mhz mod
osc, I'll be a happy man.

>I ask all who have been following and contributing to this tred, that you

Flame away...just do a better job than this mental midget. And teach as well.
Let's all have faster machines. If fabioboy can tell anyone how to make a 386
run at 66 mhz, I'll publicly apologize and hail his technical ingenuity. Until
then, I think he's a halfwit.

>Later !
>Fabo
>fab...@li.net

*SNIP*
Hey fabio baby, no need to cc me a copy of your little inanities. If they're
posted, I'll see them.

Lionel Hutz, Esq. THE MAN WITH THE FASTEST 386 IN THE WORLD
HA!

Troy Quigg

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
Michael Kreitmann <krei...@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:

<snip>

>Overclocking a 133 to 160 means running with 40 MHz external speed...
>So, the PCI-Bus is also running at 40 MHz or does the Mainboard spilts
>to speed to 20 MHz (??).
>Running the PCI-Bus (with my Winner2000AVI-Graphics-Card) at 40 MHz
>might cause a lot of trouble ??

<snip>

My understanding of the PCI Architecture is that it runs at a constant
33MHz, regardless of what speed the system is running. I believe this
applies whether the base speed of the system is 25, 33, 40, 50, 60 or
66 (less any clock multiplying done by the CPU)

Gregory F. Pinto

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
to gfp...@eden.rutgers.edu
I know your not always to believe what you read, but check out an
article in PC Week from January 22, 1996 on some page in the 70's. It
goes over all the different CPU's available now and in the future.
According to the article it states that the AMD 5x86 133mhz can not be
overclocked to 160mhz. Is their any validity to their claim. Also I
though that a PCI bus does not support 40mhz instead it runs it at
20mhz. Just thought I would get my 2 cents in.

Thanks

Greg Pinto

joe_ro...@mindlink.bc.ca

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
fab...@li.net wrote:

(snip)

>Ok, that out of the way. It apears that this gentlemen has a VAST
>knowledge of , well, nothing, well, I shouldnt say that, he seems to me
>to have a keen eye for spelling errors.

(snip)

>He apparantly KNOWS that Intel is the fastest chip around

You mean he can't spell words like apparently? :")

Joe

Martin Schulten

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
fab...@li.net schrieb:

>Hi
> Take it from a guy that builds custom computers. and also sells
>at computer shows.

>Both the Cyrex and AMD 5x86 chips are FAR superior to ANYTHING ! that
~~~~~
!?!?! You know what you are talking about, dont you?

>pathetic Intel DREAMS of putting out !

>However there are some things you need to know, I will share with you my

>experiences with the 5x86 series of processors that I have had in the
>past 2 months:

>First off :
>If you are purchasing chips that come with the motherboards, as a
>package, DO NOT trust the jumper setting EVEN IF THEY ARE SILKSCREENED ON
>THE BOARD. I have had quite a nightmare with this , but with a little
>patience , I was able to safly pump up both AMD and Cyrex to well iver
>140 mhz. But remember , you need to have a jumper selectable MB, dont try

~~~~~~~
!?!?!?! Guy, you are very funny.

>it with MB that use one oscillator, it will not work.

>If you want to overpump a 486 66 then as a maximum, use a 80 mhz
>oscillator , and by all means use a heat sing with a respectable set of
~~~~~~~~~~~
!?!?!?!?!?! This will really PUMP UP the chip. Better get a 40mhz
oscillator. (especially for you: 2x40=80)

>balls.

>Of particular interest to me is overclocking AMD 386 DX 40 chips. I have
>pumped up these babies to well over 66 MHZ and I burn them in by running

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are a LAMER.

>them for about 1 week , non stop WITHOUT a heat sink. I have yet to see
>one fail.

>Fabo
>fab...@li.net

>ghug...@ix.netcom.com (Greg Hughes) wrote:
>>On 16 Feb 1996 03:17:35 GMT, Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone> wrote:
>>
>>>Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
>>>and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
>>>It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
>>>close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
>>>Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
>>>AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
>>>around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)
>>>
>>>Okay,
>>>

>>>System config:
>>>ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
>>>256k interleaved cache
>>>Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
>>>Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
>>>8 MB RAM
>>>

>>> Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
>>>Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9
>>>
>>>Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3
>>>

>>Holy Shit is right!!! And just when I was thinking of getting a new
>>motherboard. Could you tell me exactly what you did to overclock the
>>chip to this speed? Did you boost the speed of the ISA bus above 33?
>>What speed is the base speed of the processor? I'm knowledgable about
>>the BIOS and jumper settings, but I'm kind of new to the overclocking
>>world. What can I do with my present DX2/66? Any info you can send me
>>will really be appreciated, and I'll let you know my results!!!
>>
>>Regards,
>>Greg Hughes
>>
>>ghug...@ix.netcom.com

Man liest sich, /\/\artin.
email: martin....@post.rwth-aachen.de

Slevogt Dirk

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In article <4ghnh7$a...@news.rwth-aachen.de> martin....@post.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Schulten) writes:
>From: martin....@post.rwth-aachen.de (Martin Schulten)

>Subject: Re: AMD 5x86-133 Overclocked to 160 MHz!!!!!!!!!!!! (Holy Shit!)
>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:34:47 GMT

>fab...@li.net schrieb:

Und speziell fuer Dich, Martin, auf aelteren MBs wo man noch keine Jumper
zum Umstellen der externen Taktfrequenz (Stichwort:
Clockspeedgenerator) benutzt hat. Wurde IMMER ein Oszillator mit der
DOPPELTEN externen Frequenz der CPU benutzt. Also wer ist hier der
Lamer? ;-))

Sorry to the others. But I had to write in German, because I wanted Martin
to understand what I have written. It is not that interesting for the rest.

>>balls.

>>Of particular interest to me is overclocking AMD 386 DX 40 chips. I have
>>pumped up these babies to well over 66 MHZ and I burn them in by running
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>You are a LAMER.

Inform yourself before you write stupid things and insult people!

>>them for about 1 week , non stop WITHOUT a heat sink. I have yet to see
>>one fail.
>>Fabo
>>fab...@li.net

>Man liest sich, /\/\artin.

I hope not, if it will be such a rubbish again!

>email: martin....@post.rwth-aachen.de

Bye,

Dirk

Michael Kreitmann

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
Troy Quigg wrote:

> Michael Kreitmann <krei...@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Overclocking a 133 to 160 means running with 40 MHz external speed...
> >So, the PCI-Bus is also running at 40 MHz or does the Mainboard spilts
> >to speed to 20 MHz (??).
<SNIP>
> <snip>
>
> My understanding of the PCI Architecture is that it runs at a constant
> 33MHz, regardless of what speed the system is running. I believe this
> applies whether the base speed of the system is 25, 33, 40, 50, 60 or
> 66 (less any clock multiplying done by the CPU)

Oh, I like it to reply to my own postings ...

Okay. It is definitly WRONG, the the PCI-bus always runs at 33 MHz.
(sorry) If zou are using an P75, the bus is only running at 25 MHz.
(i'm sure !). So the PCI-bus-speed depends an the systemspeed, divied by
2 or 3 or ...

Bye
MICHAEL

Yousuf Khan

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
ghug...@ix.netcom.com (Greg Hughes) wrote:

>Holy Shit is right!!! And just when I was thinking of getting a new
>motherboard. Could you tell me exactly what you did to overclock the
>chip to this speed? Did you boost the speed of the ISA bus above 33?
>What speed is the base speed of the processor? I'm knowledgable about
>the BIOS and jumper settings, but I'm kind of new to the overclocking
>world. What can I do with my present DX2/66? Any info you can send me
>will really be appreciated, and I'll let you know my results!!!

With your current DX2-66, you can successfully overclock it to 80Mhz.
I've done just that with an AMD DX2-66.

Yousuf Khan

HI Systems

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <4ggj19$g...@news.paonline.com>, Troy Quigg <tr...@tbliss.com> wrote:
>Michael Kreitmann <krei...@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>>Overclocking a 133 to 160 means running with 40 MHz external speed...
>>So, the PCI-Bus is also running at 40 MHz or does the Mainboard spilts
>>to speed to 20 MHz (??).
>>Running the PCI-Bus (with my Winner2000AVI-Graphics-Card) at 40 MHz
>>might cause a lot of trouble ??
>
>My understanding of the PCI Architecture is that it runs at a constant
>33MHz, regardless of what speed the system is running. I believe this
>applies whether the base speed of the system is 25, 33, 40, 50, 60 or
>66 (less any clock multiplying done by the CPU)

Not exactly. The PCI spec allows any speed from 0 to 33MHz (a newer
extension in 2.1 allows 0-66 MHz, but nobody in the PC world has chips
for this yet). Most 486 boards seem to be running the PCI bus at the
memory speed, tho some might be dividing 40 MHz by 2. Most Pentium
motherboards run the PCI at half the memory speed (ie: 30 MHz for
60 MHz memory busses on P60/90/120/150, 33 MHz for 66 MHz memory
busses on P66/100/133/166, 25 MHz for 50 MHz memory bus on P75).

However the PCI architecture *allows* for asynchronous PCI bus clocks,
such that a P120 could runs a 33 MHz PCI bus for example. I don't
think any of the common chipsets (SIS, Triton, etc) handle this yet, though.

So you are right that the PCI architecture CAN run at a constant rate
independent of processor speeds; but wrong in that all the PC real world
systems I know of use synchronous (locked to CPU clock) implementations
so far.
Zhahai

David Keeler

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <1996Feb23.115134.25429@ludens> sta...@ludens.elte.hu writes:

>> With your current DX2-66, you can successfully overclock it to 80Mhz.
>> I've done just that with an AMD DX2-66.
>
>You can also use it at 100MHz,but you have to set the voltage to 4V (3.3V
>isn't enough for it to run at 100)
>I did it with my CxDX2/66,and it worked without problems (but because of the
>shit motherboard,I had to set up all waitstates to maximum,so the video
>speed rather went down).I wasn't as heat,than an intel4/100 at the same
>clock (after about 30 minutes)

I have been running my dx2/66 ato 90 MHz (in a high quality eisa mb that has
a 66MHz osc and a bios clock option of 2/3) for two years now. I am very
pleased with this system. It's feels pretty fast with disk activities in
windows compared to the P75 here in lab. I haven't run any benchmarks for
a while now, so I'm afraid I don't have any numbers. I'm pretty sure my
cpu is at 5V (INHEL).
dave
hey...@lamar.colostate.edu

sta...@ludens.elte.hu

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <4gj2hc$h...@centaur.achilles.net>, yk...@achilles.net (Yousuf Khan) writes:
> ghug...@ix.netcom.com (Greg Hughes) wrote:

>>world. What can I do with my present DX2/66? Any info you can send me
>>will really be appreciated, and I'll let you know my results!!!

> With your current DX2-66, you can successfully overclock it to 80Mhz.

> I've done just that with an AMD DX2-66.

You can also use it at 100MHz,but you have to set the voltage to 4V (3.3V
isn't enough for it to run at 100)
I did it with my CxDX2/66,and it worked without problems (but because of the
shit motherboard,I had to set up all waitstates to maximum,so the video
speed rather went down).I wasn't as heat,than an intel4/100 at the same
clock (after about 30 minutes)

stanley

John Shalamskas

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
hi...@rainbow.rmii.com (HI Systems) wrote:

>However the PCI architecture *allows* for asynchronous PCI bus clocks,
>such that a P120 could runs a 33 MHz PCI bus for example. I don't
>think any of the common chipsets (SIS, Triton, etc) handle this yet, though.

>So you are right that the PCI architecture CAN run at a constant rate
>independent of processor speeds; but wrong in that all the PC real world
>systems I know of use synchronous (locked to CPU clock) implementations
>so far.
> Zhahai

My ASUS P54SP4 allows me to run at either 1/2 or 2/3 of the CPU clock
speed. So my P100 PCI bus runs at either 33 or 44 MHz.

Cards that seem to work fine at 44Mhz:
Matrox Millennium
Adaptec 2940W
CMD Technologies PCI-to-IDE interface on the motherboard.

Cards that don't work:
Linksys PCI ethernet (with DEC chipset)

DOOM 2 benchmark increased about 15% with the 33% bus speed boost.

My Cyrix Cx5x86 system which has a 40 MHz CPU clock (x3) also uses an
asynchronous PCI clock.

---John "33MHz is fast enough for me" Shalamskas

John Shalamskas http://www.mlh.com/ jo...@mlh.com
dba MLH Consulting phone (808) 521-3141
1620 Keeaumoku St #701 pager 288-2799
Honolulu, HI 96822 "Lucky I live Hawaii!" FAX/Data 534-0579

Chad Nesbit

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <4gj2hc$h...@centaur.achilles.net>, yk...@achilles.net says...

>ghug...@ix.netcom.com (Greg Hughes) wrote:
>
>>Holy Shit is right!!! And just when I was thinking of getting a new
>>motherboard. Could you tell me exactly what you did to overclock the
>>chip to this speed? Did you boost the speed of the ISA bus above 33?
>>What speed is the base speed of the processor? I'm knowledgable about
>>the BIOS and jumper settings, but I'm kind of new to the overclocking
>>world. What can I do with my present DX2/66? Any info you can send me
>>will really be appreciated, and I'll let you know my results!!!
>
>With your current DX2-66, you can successfully overclock it to 80Mhz.
>I've done just that with an AMD DX2-66.
>
> Yousuf Khan

How do you know? Some chips don't mind overclocking, some throw fits. The
only way to know is try it and see, overclocking is not a gauranteed
possibility.

Just my 4 cents worth (i overclocked my 2 cents..)

Chad

Yves

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
to news.ib.be
> >balls.
>
> >Of particular interest to me is overclocking AMD 386 DX 40 chips. I have
> >pumped up these babies to well over 66 MHZ and I burn them in by running
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> You are a LAMER.
>
> >them for about 1 week , non stop WITHOUT a heat sink. I have yet to see
> >one fail.
> >Fabo
> >fab...@li.net
>
> >ghug...@ix.netcom.com (Greg Hughes) wrote:

> >>Holy Shit is right!!! And just when I was thinking of getting a new
> >>motherboard. Could you tell me exactly what you did to overclock the
> >>chip to this speed? Did you boost the speed of the ISA bus above 33?
> >>What speed is the base speed of the processor? I'm knowledgable about
> >>the BIOS and jumper settings, but I'm kind of new to the overclocking
> >>world. What can I do with my present DX2/66? Any info you can send me
> >>will really be appreciated, and I'll let you know my results!!!
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Greg Hughes
> >>
> >>ghug...@ix.netcom.com

> Man liest sich, /\/\artin.
> email: martin....@post.rwth-aachen.de

What a Jurk

Yves

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96

morr...@netins.net

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
In article <4g0t0f$3...@taco.cc.ncsu.edu> Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone> writes:
>From: Jason Dean Malone <jdmalone>
>Subject: AMD 5x86-133 Overclocked to 160 MHz!!!!!!!!!!!! (Holy Shit!)
>Date: 16 Feb 1996 03:17:35 GMT

>Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
>and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
>It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
>close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
>Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
>AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
>around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)

>Okay,

>System config:
>ASUS PVI486-SP3 mainboard
>256k interleaved cache
>Award 4.50PG BIOS, version 304
>Hercules Dynamite Power VESA, 2 MB
>8 MB RAM

> Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
>Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9

>Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3

>Pentium-100 316.9 24350% 100.0

>AMD 5x86-133 288.7 18050% 90.9

>AMD 5x86-160 346.1 23550% 100.0

>Pentium-120 380.2 28850% 111.1

>Pentium scores (90, 100 MHz) taken in:

>Intel Premeire II MB, Neptune chipset, 256k cache. Diamond Stealth 64

>Pentium 120 score:
>Taken in my other PC w/ Triton chipset, 512k PB cache, Hercules
>Stingray/64

>Cyrix 5x86 scores:
>Averages taken from various sources

>So, If you're looking for a good "upgrade" processor for

>your 486, look no further (assuming your MB could handle
>the O.C.) The AMD-160 definitely gives both the Pentium-90
>and Pentium-100 a run for their money. (Best 50$ i've EVER
>spent)

where did u get your 5x86 (dx4/133) with Motherboard at? iam looking to get
one of them, but want to know a good place and price to get it at!
so if u can tell me where u got it at and i will look in to it, cause iam
stuck with a 486dx/33 right now (WAY to SLOW!).. so thanks for the info..

I need the 5x86(dx4/133) and the MotherBoard u were talking about in this
post..

Steven Rothman

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
jason:

Whjat speed chips werew you using? Can you get by with 4x36-70, or do
they have to be 60ms?

Steven

Brett Wooldridge

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
I just bought an ASUS PVI-486SP3 motherboard and dropped a AMD 5x86 133MHz
chip on it. I too have successfully overclocked it to 160MHz. Everything
seems to be functioning well and has been running for three days solid. I'll
post some OS/2 benchmarks soon, but I gotta say it sure feels like the P90 I
use at work.

Brett "waiting for AMD to ship a 166Mhz so I can clock it at 200" Wooldridge
bre...@io.com

Unknown

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96

Hi, does anyone know how to overclock p5-90 to p5-120? I do have
Tyan's Titan III board with AWD 2.5 bios. I already overcloked it to
p5-100 and it's working fine since. I did tried move the jumper and
it just stuck on init plug and play on the screen. Please help
thanks..

Gino

Michael Richmann

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96

Well, you got your answer when your system froze on bootup at the
120 MHz clock speed (assuming you're using a cooling fan). At least
you got 100 MHz out of it...

--
Mike

My opinions, not Argonne's...

Slevogt Dirk

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
In article <4gbli7$s...@nuscc.nus.sg> isc3...@leonis.nus.sg (TAN TOT LIT) writes:
>From: isc3...@leonis.nus.sg (TAN TOT LIT)
>Subject: Re: AMD 5x86-133 Overclocked to 160 MHz!!!!!!!!!!!! (Holy Shit!)
>Date: 20 Feb 1996 05:17:59 GMT

>Kenneth (k...@imbmed.ou.dk) wrote:
>: Please tell me how you did this (step by step)
>: I have the exact same motherboard as You !

> ASUS PVI-486SP3?

> 1) Open up ur casing.
> 2) Look for a small chip between the VL slot and the cache ram.
> 3) If the chip reads VIA VT8228 then set jumper

> JP25 JP26 JP27 JP28
> from 33MHz 1&2 2&3 2&3 1&2
> to 40MHz 1&2 1&2 1&2 2&3

> else if chip reads AV9155
>
> JP25 JP26 JP27 JP28
> from 33MHz 1&2 1&2 2&3 1&2
> to 40MHz 1&2 2&3 1&2 1&2

> That's it.

> Any one knows the setting for 50MHz, it is not in my manual.

Just take the settings for 25MHz and set JP25 to 2&3. That's all.

>--
>~Frisky Kitty~
>!*% T-3..............T-2.............T-1.............BOOM.....................

Bye,

Dirk

Andrew Pattison

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
Troy Quigg wrote:

> Michael Kreitmann <krei...@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>
> <snip>

> >Overclocking a 133 to 160 means running with 40 MHz external speed...
> >So, the PCI-Bus is also running at 40 MHz or does the Mainboard spilts
> >to speed to 20 MHz (??).
> >Running the PCI-Bus (with my Winner2000AVI-Graphics-Card) at 40 MHz
> >might cause a lot of trouble ??
>
> <snip>

> My understanding of the PCI Architecture is that it runs at a constant
> 33MHz, regardless of what speed the system is running. I believe this
> applies whether the base speed of the system is 25, 33, 40, 50, 60 or
> 66 (less any clock multiplying done by the CPU)

eeeeeoooo!

Wrong!

PCI bus runs at different speeds according to the speed of your Pentium
( or 486) processor. Most cards are (probably) designed for 33 MHz and
below as this is the fastest speed Intel boards take them to.

TEF
a...@dcs.ed.ac.uk

Jim Stansell

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
cc...@bmers2dd.bnr.ca (Christopher Lau) wrote:

>Excuse me, but I don't quite understand the rationale here..

>The P90 or P100 run at 90 MHz and 100 MHz internal speed respectively,
>but the Cyrix and AMD 5x86 chips need to run 120, 133, or 160 MHz
>to match a P100 and you think this is *good*?? If I liquid nitrogen
>cool a 386 or 486 and overclock it to 500 MHz, it will outperform
>a P100 too.. All this proves is that the P-100 has a superior
>architecture to the 5x86 since it can provide the same level of
>performance at lower clock speeds.. On the other hand if the results
>had been that the 5x86 at 90 or 100 MHz ran faster than Pentium
>at 133 or 160 MHz, then that would be something to talk about...

Chris --

I don't think that anyone is trying to claim that the AMD 5x86-P75 is
a "better" CPU than a true Pentium. The point is that for individuals
who currently have 486 motherboards, the AMD and Cyrix 5x86 CPUs
provide a level of performance that compares to a P75, P90 or whatever
for a far smaller investment.

If you are in the market for a new system, by all means get a Pentium.
However, for less than $120 (the CPU plus a voltage regulator), I can
breathe new life into an older 486 computer with an AMD 5x86.

Jim Stansell
Institute for Public Policy and Social Research
321 Berkey Hall
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824

Andrew Stevens

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96

>I just bought an ASUS PVI-486SP3 motherboard and dropped a AMD 5x86 133MHz
>chip on it. I too have successfully overclocked it to 160MHz. Everything
>seems to be functioning well and has been running for three days solid. I'll
>post some OS/2 benchmarks soon, but I gotta say it sure feels like the P90 I
>use at work.

Ditto.

Andrew

sl...@cc.usu.edu

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96

I'm considering overclocking my AMD 133mhz PCI setup to either 150 or 166mhz.
If I go the 150 route, the external bus will run at 40mhz vs 33mhz at
166mhz. Which configuration will provide me with the overall best
performance? Will moving from 33 to 40mhz external speed make a noticable
difference?
Thanks,
-Frank-

Christopher Lau

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
Jason Dean Malone (jdmalone) wrote:
: Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
: and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
: It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
: close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
: Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
: AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
: around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)

<PC config deleted>

[...]

Christopher Lau | Nortel Wireless Networks / Bell-Northern Research Ltd.
Mr. Unix | This article contains my own opinions, not BNR's.
-- | Bring back Trudeau!
cc...@bnr.ca | (613)-763-8392

Curt Maughs

Feb 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/27/96
cc...@bmers2dd.bnr.ca (Christopher Lau) wrote:

><PC config deleted>

I believe your assumption would be valid if they were using the same
bus but they don't. The Cyrix and AMD 5x86 chips are using a 486
32-bit bus NOT a Pentium 64-bit bus to get near/better pentium speeds
at higher internal/external clock rates. After all P90/100 has
external bus speeds of 60/66 respectively while an AMD 5x86 133 has a
bus speed of 33 and a Cyrix 5x86 120 has bus speed of 40 MHZ. Now what
I would like to see is a Cyrix 5x86 120 with a 60MHZ BUS go at it with
a P90 and I do believe if that were possible the Cyrix chip would kick
the P90's ASS.

Joel Sartoris

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
kr...@bangate.fda.gov wrote:
> [snip]
> For $450 I can
> run current applications at similar speeds to a P-90 which would have
> cost me about what I spent but without a video card (to buy a pentium
> motherboard with cpu).

For $450 you could have purchased a P5-133 with a Triton MB from Fry's
electronics.

--Joel Sartoris

Joel Sartoris

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
Jimmy Eng wrote:

> The point is that these 5x86 chips are performing at P90/P100 levels
> at a fraction of P90/P100 costs.

Until you've replaced the overclocked (burned-out)cpu a few times. I guess to
be fair to the P90/100s, they should be overclocked and these (however
inadequate) benchmarks rerun.

--Joel Sartoris

Francisco Landeira

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
James wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I have a 486DX33 which I can upgrade to 486DX@-50 only(according to the
> manual), I was told 486 DX4 100 runs at 3.3V and the 486DX33 runs at 5V, so I
> can not upgrade it to DX4-100, You mentioned about 5X86 and a voltage
> regulator, can you explain to me how do you install them? I'm thinking of
> doing it. Do you think it could be done?

You can't. You may upgrade to the intel DX4/100 overdrive, which runs at 5v.

Paco

ImageBiz.com

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96

That's just blatently WRONG.

You *CAN* get a voltage regulator for the AM586 133mhz chips (or for any
3.3v chip for that matter) to use it in a 5v motherboard. They aren't WIDELY
available, but you can get them. They cost around $40.

- Turbo
[tu...@trend1.com]

Rick LeVesque

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
Andrew Pattison wrote:

> Troy Quigg wrote:
> >
> > My understanding of the PCI Architecture is that it runs at a constant
> > 33MHz, regardless of what speed the system is running. I believe this
> > applies whether the base speed of the system is 25, 33, 40, 50, 60 or
> > 66 (less any clock multiplying done by the CPU)
>
> eeeeeoooo!
>
> Wrong!
>
> PCI bus runs at different speeds according to the speed of your Pentium
> ( or 486) processor. Most cards are (probably) designed for 33 MHz and
> below as this is the fastest speed Intel boards take them to.

The correct answer is: It depends.
The PCI bus runs at the speed you set the PCI bus clock to. The PCI bus
clock can be a derivative of the mainboard clock or a separate clock.
<Insert lengthy discussion of buffers here.>

With a separate clock, you could make it run at a constant 33MHz, reguardless
of what speed the system clock is running.

When deriving the clock from a single mainboard clock, the PCI will
typically be clocked at 25, 30 or 33 MHz.

--

Rick

Greg White

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96
Bryan Frain <bhf...@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> wrote:

>Is anyone running the AMD CPUSPEED.EXE program to benchmark their overclocked CPU?
>And if so what are you getting?
>CPUSPEED is a benchmark program found on the AMD homepage.

>Just wondering..
>Bryan Frain

Where is this program located on the AMD Site?

I looked all thru the Support section and other likely areas with no
luck.

Thanks.

Greg

Jim Kelly

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96

>This is totally bogus. What about alpha's at 300MHz, R4000's at 250MHz,
>etc. etc. Or P6's at 200MHz for that matter.
>
>Don't confuse the sophistication of the manufacturing
>process with the sophistication of the architecture.
>
>Johan
>

>--
You shouldn't eaither.My post was about the "586", you even quoted the
section where I made that point.So if clockspeed isn't a limitation why
did intel even come out with the 286? Now were stuck with all this bogus
new technology when we could all be running overclocked 8088's for about
the price of a cup of coffee.
So my point is bogus and yours is that 486's can be reliably run at
300+MHz. Lots O'luck.

Jim Kelly

Feb 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/29/96

Yousuf Khan

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
a...@netcom.com (Anthony D. Tribelli) wrote:

>Yousuf Khan (yk...@achilles.net) wrote:
>: With your current DX2-66, you can successfully overclock it to 80Mhz.

>: I've done just that with an AMD DX2-66.

>A bit too optimistic, according to a survey, the AMD DX2-66 only appears
>to successfully overclock roughly 70% of the time. Problems can be subtle
>and difficult to notice.

Been running it for a year and a half now. Of course, I got the CPU
fan, maybe one should take that as a proviso, but when I bought the
motherboard as a 66Mhz system, they insisted on putting that fan on
anyways, despite the fact that the chip was supposed to run at 66Mhz
from the factory.

Yousuf Khan

marktime@ix.netcom.com@ix.netcom.com

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
In <4gvma9$h...@bmerhc5e.bnr.ca>, cc...@bmers2dd.bnr.ca (Christopher Lau) writes:
>Jason Dean Malone (jdmalone) wrote:
>: Welp, I've successfully overclocked the AMD-133 to 160 MHz,
>: and i'm pleased to say that it's FAASSSSSTTTTT!
>: It definitely outperforms most P-90's, and comes
>: close to the Pentium-100 CPU.
>: Thought i'd post the CORRECT benchmarks of the
>: AMD-160 chip to clear up some confusion running
>: around. (yes, it's faster than the 5x86-120---hands down.)
>
>--
>Christopher Lau | Nortel Wireless Networks / Bell-Northern Research Ltd.
>Mr. Unix | This article contains my own opinions, not BNR's.
>-- | Bring back Trudeau!
>cc...@bnr.ca | (613)-763-8392

The rationale is the economics.
$85 for the 5x-160
$300 for the P100 + $200 for a board + another 150-200 for a PCI video card.
Mark
My well spent 2 cents worth.

Nigel Barker

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
On 29 Feb 1996 13:46:21 GMT, Bryan Frain
<bhf...@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> wrote:

>Is anyone running the AMD CPUSPEED.EXE program to benchmark their overclocked CPU?
>And if so what are you getting?
>CPUSPEED is a benchmark program found on the AMD homepage.

Reports my Cyrix 5x86-120 as a 150MHz CPU.

--
Nigel Barker
ni...@openvms.demon.co.uk

Wayne Levenseller

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
Jim Kelly <muj...@bgu.edu> wrote:
>Whoops!!! (Sorry-need a new radiator for my 900MHzVic20);)

In the big world of IBM: (IBM, AMDAHL, HITACHI)
Mainframe Computers using Emitter Coupled Logic use radiators to keep
them cool.... this is now considered old technology.
Thing is, these can be faster than the newer CMOS Mainframes.
This is an example of older technology being faster than newer technology.
However, it's cheaper to maker the CMOS Machine and you can buy more of
them to make up for it.

It's different in the PC world: (INTEL, AMD, CYRIX)
Each new generation in the X86 cost more. The chips use the same
logic (CMOS) but technology keeps allowing designers to put more
gates in a chip and run it faster. That's why they come out with
newer improved chips. AMD and CYRIX have used new technologies to
improve on the the 32 bit 486 CPU. INTEL focuses their attention on the 64 bit
586 CPU. INTEL charges premium prices for this new technology.
AMD and CYRIX charges around $90 bucks for new technology in a 32 bit CPU.
If a 486 32-bit processor runs DOS and WINDOWS as fast as a 586 processor
and only cost $90 bucks... I don't think I'll buy that 586 (I'd have
to buy a motherboard and video card to go with it to).

be cool,
Wayne

Jan Pieter Bolhuis

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
en...@u.washington.edu (Jimmy Eng) wrote:

>>: Sysinfo 8.0 PC Config 8.03 3d-Bench
>>: Cx5x86-120 ~260-380 (?) 19250% 90.9
>>: Pentium-90 288.3 19850% 83.3
>>: Pentium-100 316.9 24350% 100.0
>>: AMD 5x86-133 288.7 18050% 90.9
>>: AMD 5x86-160 346.1 23550% 100.0
>>: Pentium-120 380.2 28850% 111.1

>>: Pentium scores (90, 100 MHz) taken in:
>>: Intel Premeire II MB, Neptune chipset, 256k cache. Diamond Stealth 64

>>: Pentium 120 score:
>>: Taken in my other PC w/ Triton chipset, 512k PB cache, Hercules
>>: Stingray/64

>>: Cyrix 5x86 scores:
>>: Averages taken from various sources

Hello to you all in this group.

I've been of the net for about a year, and trying to fit in again.

Does anyone have an adress where I can obtain the benchmarking
software ? It will be nice to do some posting again.
I have a P-120 (Intel), and it overclocks fine.

Greetings,
Jan

As I speak;
ing. Jan Pieter Bolhuis, Professional Software Engineer.
Currently working for the Royal Netherlands Navy as a
Weapons Engineer and Teacher of Technical Computer Sciences.
I can be reached on (+31)(0)20-520-2466, or on the net
bol...@xs4all.nl
:-))

Zax

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
mass...@risky.ecs.umass.edu (RYAN J MASSIMINO) wrote:

> Also, to add on, Since you have a PCI bus, your speed will be 20mhz for the
>when you run the chip at 160mhz as opposed to 33mhz at 133mhz..I believe
>the current limit for your PCI is 33mhz...but that will soon change.
> Either way I have mine at 160mhz and see no reason why I would want
>to run it at a slower speed just to speed the video bus speed. It
>runs everything flawlessly and never chops!

Dosn't the PCI bus stick to 33 MHz no matter what the processor clock
is set to?

I thougth this was one of the PCI bus advantages over Vesa?

**********************************
* *
* Zax last of the Zaxanoids *
* *
**********************************

Ron Bruckner

Mar 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/1/96
I pulled it down a few weeks ago and frankly don't know if it's any
good. I'm running an AMD5x86 overclocked to 160. CPU speen says an
estimated 150 MHZ. At boot up my system reports 132Mhz. WinCheckit has
it at 160.

In <4h4and$m...@rs10.tcs.tulane.edu> Bryan Frain

<bhf...@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

>Is anyone running the AMD CPUSPEED.EXE program to benchmark their
overclocked CPU?
>And if so what are you getting?
>CPUSPEED is a benchmark program found on the AMD homepage.
>

>Just wondering..
>Bryan Frain

RYAN J MASSIMINO

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
Brett Wooldridge (bre...@io.com) wrote:
: In article <1996Feb27.0...@cc.usu.edu>, sl...@cc.usu.edu says...
: >In article <4gsneg$7...@anarchy.io.com>, bre...@io.com (Brett Wooldridge)

: The options are really 100, 120, 133, 150, 160, and 200 :O. The chip can
: either run in 3x or 4x mode. So:

: Clock Multiplier Chip Speed
: -------------------------------------
: 33MHz 3x 100MHz
: 33MHz 4x 133MHz
: 40MHz 3x 120MHz
: 40MHz 4x 160MHz
: 50MHz 3x 150MHz
: 50MHz 4x 200MHz

: I have not yet run mine at 150, just at 160. So I can't say yet whether the
: additional bus speed will make up for the lower chip speed. However, tonight
: I will be trying out 150 and 200 and will post benchmarks here with results.

: Brett
: bre...@io.com

Also, to add on, Since you have a PCI bus, your speed will be 20mhz for the
when you run the chip at 160mhz as opposed to 33mhz at 133mhz..I believe
the current limit for your PCI is 33mhz...but that will soon change.
Either way I have mine at 160mhz and see no reason why I would want
to run it at a slower speed just to speed the video bus speed. It
runs everything flawlessly and never chops!

Ryan

Duane M. Saylor

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
to Wayne Levenseller
The AMD 5x86-133 is a 486 and will plug into a 486 motherboard. If your
motherboard can be set to 33 MHz and can be jumpered for clock doubling
then the 5x86-133 will actually quadruple the clock speed for internal
operations. Check out the AMD web site at http://www.amd.com and there
FAQ in the 5x86-133. I have installed two motherboards for friends in
the last month. Both were less than $200 and they performa faster than
a Pentium 75 on the benchmarks I have run. The 5x86-133 has 16K
internal cache.

Duane Saylor

Frank O'Neill

Mar 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/3/96
Jim Kelly wrote:

> Whoops!!! (Sorry-need a new radiator for my 900MHzVic20);)

-------------------------------

Jim:

Vic20!!! Don't be cheap! Get a C-64!!!

(I had both a C-64 and a C-128 --- boy, were those the days!!!)

Frank O'Neill, Independent Consultant
New York, NY

Jim White

Mar 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/4/96
bevr...@nando.net (Basil Evrenidis) wrote:
>For $165 you can purchase a AMD 586 motherboard with CPU from CTEK Technology
>Inc. What's your point that a Pentium is about 3 times as much as the AMD 586
>board?

care to post the url or phone number??

Jim White
South Shore Software