"Drive Failure Over Time: The Bathtub Curve Is Leaking"

Lynn McGuire

Oct 26, 2021, 3:24:39 PM10/26/21
"Drive Failure Over Time: The Bathtub Curve Is Leaking"

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/drive-failure-over-time-the-bathtub-curve-is-leaking/

"As noted earlier, back in 2013, the 80% of the drives installed would
be expected to survive four years. That fell to 50% after six years. In
2021, the life expectancy of a hard drive being alive at six years is
88%. That’s a substantial increase, but it basically comes down to the
fact that hard drives are failing less in our system. We think it is a
combination of better drives, better storage servers, and better
practices by our data center teams."

So, today's hard drives are better than hard drives just from six years
ago. I wonder what will happen when all of the helium drives start
hitting their five year life ?

Lynn