Forget those hard disks and SSD: 580TB on a tape cartridge!?

Percival P. Cassidy

Dec 16, 2020, 11:39:58 AM12/16/20

Pedro Valdez

Jun 27, 2021, 7:53:08 AM6/27/21
On Thursday, December 17, 2020 at 12:39:58 AM UTC+8, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

> https://gizmodo.com/a-new-breakthrough-in-tape-storage-could-squeeze-580-tb-1845851499
but what will be data transfer rate?
LTO-8 is already painfully slow to fill up

Grant Taylor

Jun 27, 2021, 3:06:17 PM6/27/21
On 6/27/21 5:53 AM, Pedro Valdez wrote:
> but what will be data transfer rate?
> LTO-8 is already painfully slow to fill up

~chuckle~

Insert obligatory "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon
with the backend full of mag tapes hurtling down the highway."

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Lynn McGuire

Jul 8, 2021, 9:30:18 PM7/8/21
On 12/16/2020 10:39 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

> https://gizmodo.com/a-new-breakthrough-in-tape-storage-could-squeeze-580-tb-1845851499

Serial access devices are so 1980s / 1990s.

I will take random access devices any day of the week.

Lynn

VanguardLH

Jul 9, 2021, 9:45:20 PM7/9/21
Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
>
>> https://gizmodo.com/a-new-breakthrough-in-tape-storage-could-squeeze-580-tb-1845851499
>
> Serial access devices are so 1980s / 1990s.

Um, SATA = Serial ATA using 2 differential condutors (versus the prior
PATA = Parallel ATA using 40 wires, or 80 with grounding lines between
to reduce crosstalk).

> I will take random access devices any day of the week.

Who said tape drives should be used for primary storage? Only a boob
would do that. Tapes are used for archival storage (aka backups). Even
with your HDDs or SSDs, restoring from a backup image will be
sequential, just like on tape.

How big are your backup files? 317 GB per 1 square-inch of tape means
the tape won't take long to position to the start of the next backup
file. Besides, do you sit around waiting for a restore to finish, or do
you start it, and go do something else? If the latter, you don't care
how long it takes the tape to position to the start of your backup file
if not the first one on the tape.

Go ahead and build that tower of 50 HDDs (since SSDs would be far too
expensive) and suffer the reduced MTBF (the more drives, the lower the
MTBF) instead of using 1 tape drive.

Also, please stop posting about technologies that won't be available for
another decade to the consumer market, the primary community here.
Corporate users deploying backup systems don't visit here. They use
robots, tape towers, and have massive backup storage space, not just a
single drive with a single tape.

Grant Taylor

Jul 9, 2021, 11:04:27 PM7/9/21
On 7/9/21 7:45 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Who said tape drives should be used for primary storage?

It depends what you consider "primary storage" to be and what your usage
/ access pattern is.

I've seen plenty of cases where disk based storage was effectively a
cache to move things onto and off of tapes. The massive collection of
data lived on tape specifically because hard drives would be too costly
for the needed capacity.

> Only a boob would do that. Tapes are used for archival storage
> (aka backups).
Tapes (offline storage) can also be a good way to move *MASSIVE* amounts
of data between two (or more) locations where sufficient network
connectivity is cost prohibitive.

> Even with your HDDs or SSDs, restoring from a backup image will be
> sequential, just like on tape.

It depends how the backup and restore jobs are sliced / parallelized.

VanguardLH

Jul 10, 2021, 3:47:30 AM7/10/21
Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> Tapes (offline storage) can also be a good way to move *MASSIVE* amounts
> of data between two (or more) locations where sufficient network
> connectivity is cost prohibitive.

I remember the old joke that a truckload of tapes barreling down the
highway from vault to data center was high bandwidth.