"How Long Do Disk Drives Last?" by Andy Klein

Lynn McGuire

Dec 17, 2021, 3:59:55 PM12/17/21
"How Long Do Disk Drives Last?" by Andy Klein
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/

So after five years, have a proactive replacement plan for spinning disk
drives.

Lynn

VanguardLH

Dec 17, 2021, 6:34:41 PM12/17/21
The rigor under which drives are exercised that are employed in a mesh
network of worldwide data centers under constant use with high traffic
volume is NOT the same as drives experience in consumer-grade systems.

Besides, the point of backups is to recover from hardware failure, even
in RAID setups, along with recovery from data loss (e.g., driver or OS
updates, program updates, user error, etc). Backups should be
scheduled, and NOT rely on users to initiate the backups. Relying on
users means backups won't be current. That's the proactive plan.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Dec 21, 2021, 11:43:56 AM12/21/21
I have an old Hitachi 160G SATA hard disk that is still working. It's no
longer the workhorse, of course.

Joe Pfeiffer

Jan 5, 2022, 11:19:51 AMJan 5
All my spinning drives are RAID1. When either one fails, I replace it.
There's also a nightly backup. I suspect the price of SSDs may have
reached the point that when I lose my next spinning drive, it'll be time
to get serious about transitioning to them.

Note, so far as I'm concerned, all disks should be RAID1, even if
there's only one drive in the array. When the time comes to upgrade
capacity, there is no easier way to do it than add the new drive to the
array, wait for it to sync, remove the old drive, and resize the
filesystem.