"Are SSDs Really More Reliable Than Hard Drives?"

Lynn McGuire

Sep 30, 2021, 9:43:37 PM9/30/21
"Are SSDs Really More Reliable Than Hard Drives?"

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/are-ssds-really-more-reliable-than-hard-drives/

"By the way, we’ll be publishing a post in a couple of weeks on how well
drive failure rates fit the bathtub curve; SPOILER ALERT: old drives
fail a lot."

I have bought about 20 SSDs for business and home, from 180 GB to 2 TB.
I do not have a log but about 3 or 4 of them have failed. The worst was
a 500 GB Intel that was randomly failing. I opened it up and there was
black moisture inside, I wondered if it was melting somehow.

Lynn

Pedro Valdez

Oct 2, 2021, 1:25:20 AM10/2/21
On Friday, October 1, 2021 at 9:43:37 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:

> I have bought about 20 SSDs for business and home, from 180 GB to 2 TB.
> I do not have a log but about 3 or 4 of them have failed. The worst was
> a 500 GB Intel that was randomly failing. I opened it up and there was
> black moisture inside, I wondered if it was melting somehow.

I had of the early models (60 GB IIRC) fail. The interface died, so host would not see it. Fortunately it was a scratch disk for sorting datasets, nothing needed to be salvaged.