“Hard Drive Life Expectancy" by Andy Klein

Lynn McGuire

Jul 20, 2022, 1:48:48 PMJul 20
“Hard Drive Life Expectancy" by Andy Klein
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-life-expectancy/

“For the last several years, we have written about drive failure, or
more specifically, the annualized failure rates for the hard drives and
SSDs we use for our cloud storage platform. In this post, we’ll look at
drive failure from a different angle: life expectancy."

"By looking at life expectancy, we can answer the question, “How long is
the drive I am buying today expected to last?” This line of thinking
matches the way we buy many things. For example, knowing that a washing
machine has an annualized failure rate of 4% is academically
interesting, but what we really want to know is, “How long can I expect
the washing machine to last before I need to replace it?””

It is never long enough.

Lynn

Google User

Aug 28, 2022, 7:39:21 PMAug 28
It's becoming worse with planned obsolescence. As a society, it's now survival of the fittest and the wealthiest. Those who are not wealthy (the elite say they choose to be poor) are the one's suffering the most. All we care about is having the latest of everything. More importantly, it better look good because esthetics is more important than durability and reliability these days.