“Backblaze Drive Stats for Q3 2022”

Lynn McGuire

Nov 1, 2022, 4:44:16 PM11/1/22
“Backblaze Drive Stats for Q3 2022”
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q3-2022/

“As of the end of Q3 2022, Backblaze was monitoring 230,897 hard drives
and SSDs in our data centers around the world. Of that number, 4,200 are
boot drives, with 2,778 SSDs and 1,422 HDDs. The SSDs were previously
covered in our recently published Midyear SSD Report. Today, we’ll focus
on the 226,697 data drives under management as we review their quarterly
and lifetime failure rates as of the end of Q3 2022.”

“The Quarterly AFR continues to rise: The AFR for Q3 2022 was 1.64%,
increasing from 1.46% in Q2 2022 and from 1.10% a year ago. As noted
previously, this is related to the aging of the entire drive fleet and
we would expect this number to go down as older drives are retired and
replaced over the next year. A possible harbinger of what is to come can
be seen in the 16TB models which as a group had an 0.80% AFR in Q3 2022.
As these drives are used to replace the aging 4TB drives, the quarterly
AFR should decrease.”

So, spinning drives in continuous operation start to fail after seven
years. Interesting.

Lynn

Google User

Nov 1, 2022, 11:11:26 PM11/1/22
Hey Lynn, this group is dead only a few dinosaurs visit it. Where do we go from here?

Char Jackson

Nov 2, 2022, 12:22:32 AM11/2/22
On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 15:44:14 -0500, Lynn McGuire <lynnmc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
As always, the Backblaze info is very interesting. I've got a bunch of
drives from 2009 that I should keep a close eye on.

Lynn McGuire

Nov 2, 2022, 1:40:11 PM11/2/22
RRRRooooooaaaaarrrrrr !

Lynn