Network cables to guest network like wireless on Netgear R6300 v1 router?

1 view

Ant

Jul 9, 2016, 7:05:39 PM7/9/16
Hello.

Is it possible to have network cables connect to guest network like
wireless connections on an updated Netgear R6300 v1 router? If so, then
how?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown
| |o o| |

VanguardLH

Jul 9, 2016, 7:44:17 PM7/9/16
Ant wrote:

> Is it possible to have network cables connect to guest network like
> wireless connections on an updated Netgear R6300 v1 router? If so, then
> how?

Not sure what you are asking. Do you want to chain routers together?
Cables don't connect to networks. They connect devices. "... cables
connect to guest network ...". Guest network WHAT? Another router? A
switch? A gateway?

Char Jackson

Jul 9, 2016, 11:07:48 PM7/9/16
On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 18:05:33 -0500, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Is it possible to have network cables connect to guest network like
>wireless connections on an updated Netgear R6300 v1 router?

You should assume 'No' unless you find something that very specifically says
'Yes' in your router manual. You can mostly get that kind of functionality
with some third party firmwares, but it's highly doubtful that OEM firmware
will allow wired connections to connect to anything but the main network.

>If so, then how?

Configurable VLANs might do it, but that's what I'm guessing your router
doesn't have. Take a look at your manual.

Ant

Jul 10, 2016, 2:27:45 AM7/10/16
Like wireless guest AP for guests to join, but with network cables. I
want to keep the network separated for network cable users.

Ant

Jul 10, 2016, 2:29:15 AM7/10/16
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300_UM_1Jun12.pdf
doesn't mention anything about VLANs so no I guess. :(

GlowingBlueMist

Jul 10, 2016, 4:32:55 AM7/10/16
On 7/10/2016 1:29 AM, Ant wrote:
> In alt.comp.networking.routers Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Jul 2016 18:05:33 -0500, ANT...@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to have network cables connect to guest network like
>>> wireless connections on an updated Netgear R6300 v1 router?
>
>> You should assume 'No' unless you find something that very specifically says
>> 'Yes' in your router manual. You can mostly get that kind of functionality
>> with some third party firmwares, but it's highly doubtful that OEM firmware
>> will allow wired connections to connect to anything but the main network.
>
>>> If so, then how?
>
>> Configurable VLANs might do it, but that's what I'm guessing your router
>> doesn't have. Take a look at your manual.
>
> http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300_UM_1Jun12.pdf
> doesn't mention anything about VLANs so no I guess. :(

Looks like the only way to do it with your router would be to change the
firmware to DD-WRT as the chart here shows your router being supported.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Then go here https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials and look
for the VLAN Detached Networks entry in the advanced tutorials section.

Good luck

Ant

Jul 10, 2016, 1:07:13 PM7/10/16
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking GlowingBlueMist <Glowing...@blackhole.io> wrote:

> >> You should assume 'No' unless you find something that very specifically says
> >> 'Yes' in your router manual. You can mostly get that kind of functionality
> >> with some third party firmwares, but it's highly doubtful that OEM firmware
> >> will allow wired connections to connect to anything but the main network.

> >> Configurable VLANs might do it, but that's what I'm guessing your router
> >> doesn't have. Take a look at your manual.
> >
> > http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300_UM_1Jun12.pdf
> > doesn't mention anything about VLANs so no I guess. :(
> >
> Looks like the only way to do it with your router would be to change the
> firmware to DD-WRT as the chart here shows your router being supported.
> http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

> Then go here https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials and look
> for the VLAN Detached Networks entry in the advanced tutorials section.

Thanks. :(
--
Quote of the Week: "... then bury them up to their necks in a huge mound
of fire ants..." "... She's like an ant, man..." --Breaking Bad S2E7

VanguardLH

Jul 10, 2016, 4:04:16 PM7/10/16
Ant wrote:

> In alt.comp.networking.routers VanguardLH <V...@nguard.lh> wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>
>>> Is it possible to have network cables connect to guest network like
>>> wireless connections on an updated Netgear R6300 v1 router? If so, then
>>> how?
>
>> Not sure what you are asking. Do you want to chain routers together?
>> Cables don't connect to networks. They connect devices. "... cables
>> connect to guest network ...". Guest network WHAT? Another router? A
>> switch? A gateway?
>
> Like wireless guest AP for guests to join, but with network cables. I
> want to keep the network separated for network cable users.

Does the router let you subnet its port and wifi connects? It does
subnetting, it may also provide a choice if the subnet is private or
shared. Another possibility are the virtual networks that Char
mentioned -- oops just read your reply and your router doesn't do VLANs
so it probably doesn't do subnetting, either. The router has its own
subnet mask specified but I'm talking about putting ports and wifi into
their own subnets (aka segments).

I haven't played with enough wifi routers to know if some routers let
you subnet them differently than subnets for the wired ports. I had a
DLink ages ago (it died from heat after a little over 2 years) that let
me isolate each wired port. Didn't even have to bother with subnetting
which probably means it was a feature of the router's built-in firewall.
I missed that feature when I had to replace with a Linksys. Just
because the family shared the router didn't mean I wanted their traffic
on my network [subnet]. Basically it looked like 4 routers similarly
configured for each wired network. Didn't see a similar firewall
feature in the manual to which you linked.

Ant

Jul 11, 2016, 8:53:51 PM7/11/16

> >> Not sure what you are asking. Do you want to chain routers together?
> >> Cables don't connect to networks. They connect devices. "... cables
> >> connect to guest network ...". Guest network WHAT? Another router? A
> >> switch? A gateway?
> >
> > Like wireless guest AP for guests to join, but with network cables. I
> > want to keep the network separated for network cable users.

> Does the router let you subnet its port and wifi connects? It does
> subnetting, it may also provide a choice if the subnet is private or
> shared. Another possibility are the virtual networks that Char
> mentioned -- oops just read your reply and your router doesn't do VLANs
> so it probably doesn't do subnetting, either. The router has its own
> subnet mask specified but I'm talking about putting ports and wifi into
> their own subnets (aka segments).

I have no idea, but then I am not a network expert.
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300_UM_1Jun12.pdf
mentions maskings though.

> I haven't played with enough wifi routers to know if some routers let
> you subnet them differently than subnets for the wired ports. I had a
> DLink ages ago (it died from heat after a little over 2 years) that let
> me isolate each wired port. Didn't even have to bother with subnetting
> which probably means it was a feature of the router's built-in firewall.
> I missed that feature when I had to replace with a Linksys. Just
> because the family shared the router didn't mean I wanted their traffic
> on my network [subnet]. Basically it looked like 4 routers similarly
> configured for each wired network. Didn't see a similar firewall
> feature in the manual to which you linked.

Wow, died from heat? How hot was the room temperatures? My rooms got up
to 90F degrees during the crazy heat waves. :(
--
Quote of the Week: "... then bury them up to their necks in a huge mound
of fire ants..." "... She's like an ant, man..." --Breaking Bad S2E7
(Peekaboo)

VanguardLH

Jul 11, 2016, 9:28:16 PM7/11/16
Ant wrote:

> Wow, died from heat? How hot was the room temperatures? My rooms got up
> to 90F degrees during the crazy heat waves. :(

Except for rack mounted routers, they use passive cooling. Just an
undersized heatsink trying to dissipate heated air through tiny holes in
the case. That is why they recommend against stacking their units
despite they even provide case recesses to allow stacking. Over time,
and with no active cooling (e.g., fan), the dust collects on the
heatsink (and other PCB components) which is a thermal insulator. They
die after 2-5 years simply because their brains got cooked. Consumer
grade Dlinks last around 2-3 years. Linksys lasts longer but I've had
to replace those, too. Look at LCD TVs or monitors and routers. The
monitors are vertically oriented, have more dead space inside, and the
heated air gets to rise and escape through larger vents. In contrast,
routers have their PCB horizontally oriented, the dead space is maybe an
inch high, if that, and the air cannot get through those tiny case holes
(so so flow is established by the movement of heated air out the top
bringing in cool air at the bottom). If you want better air flow, you
have to drill out the case holes in the router to enlarge them and also
be sure to include holes at the bottom so outside air can be drawn but
assumes the air can get around the PCB since the case probably comes
right up to the PCB.

Having an air conditioned room only procrastinates death from bad air
flow design. No, I do not operate my house rooms at the frigid
temperatures of a computer room; however, there is enough air
conditioning so temps and humidity are within a range that is
comfortable for me. In comparison, my computers never die due to
overheating because I design them with decent air flow plus they are
monitored unlike routers that bake away without any alert.

Typically you'll notice flaky connections. You think there is a problem
with your ISP but that's not it since a direct connection from computer
to modem (bypassing the router) works just fine. The flaky outages
start increasing in occurence and duration until one day you'll be damn
lucky to get any connection.