Need server and server OS recommendations

Dr. Lorne Lavine

Nov 7, 2001, 4:47:00 PM11/7/01

Hi folks,

Looking for a few recommendations, here's my story:

I have a small dental office that started with about 4 workstations, using a
Win 98 peer-to-peer network. Over the past couple of years, I've added
workstations, and with the advent of digital images in dentistry, the need
for network bandwidth has increased dramatically. I'm currently up to 12
workstations and with plans to add a few more, I've begun to outgrow my
current network.

Yes, I've done the basics, such as switching to 10/100 NICs, replacing the
cheap hub with a switch, etc etc, but with need for increased security due
to increased personnel, it's time to upgrade.

So the basic questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a good server or company to use for servers? I'm
thinking that peer-to-peer is just too slow, and that I really need to move
to a client-server topology to allow for future growth.

2. What are the specs I should look for in a server? I've noticed in my
basic research so far that the servers *seem* to be less powerful than the
workstations ie many of the servers seem to only have 1 GHz processors at
most, 256 RAM...considerably less than my home computer! What makes a server
a server? Is it the SCSI drives, the RAID configuration, the ECC RAM? What
main points do I look for?

3. Finally, what's a good network OS for my relatively small office? I love
the new XP Pro on my home computer, but is it really designed as a
networking OS? If not, what is best for my needs?

Thanks for any and all help.

LL

--
Lorne Lavine, DMD, A+,N+
Dental Technology Consultants

Jason Thomas

Nov 7, 2001, 5:14:44 PM11/7/01
Dell has worked for me. SCSI hard drives are great if the server is going
to be the residing place for all the digital images because they are much
faster at transferring files. My 933 MHz dell server is way fast enough for
our 18 station network. Networking doesn't require that much processor
power... basically it is the programs you will be running on the server that
dictate how much power you need. If people will be running applications
from your server while you run programs then the more MHz the better.
Memory is the same.... applications run dictate amount needed, 256 should be
enough but more is always better, and it is cheap nowadays ECC is flashy and
usually standard on servers but not necessary. RAID is expensive and nice
if you are worried about hard drive failure, personally I think having an
effective backup strategy is good enough.
If Windows XP is good for you then go with that because it should be at
least as good as 2000 was at networking and that is pretty darn good (what I
use now) Although the server versions of Windows i.e. 2000 server and XP
server (i would guess that's what it's called) are expensive they are
excellent at administering your network, keeps everything nice neat and
secure
hope this helps
Jay

"Dr. Lorne Lavine" <lla...@att.net> wrote in message

MW

Nov 7, 2001, 8:17:11 PM11/7/01
> 1. Can anyone recommend a good server or company to use for servers? I'm
> thinking that peer-to-peer is just too slow, and that I really need to
move
> to a client-server topology to allow for future growth.

I agree with the earlier post....Dell has some kick butt products. I
personally LOVE their poweredge servers. They can be pricery, but they will
last for a long time!

> 2. What are the specs I should look for in a server? I've noticed in my
> basic research so far that the servers *seem* to be less powerful than the
> workstations ie many of the servers seem to only have 1 GHz processors at
> most, 256 RAM...considerably less than my home computer! What makes a
server
> a server? Is it the SCSI drives, the RAID configuration, the ECC RAM? What
> main points do I look for?

Well, you can use a "regular" computer to be a "server", but some servers
haven Xeon processors in them. These processors are meant to serve, and are
quite a bit faster. I would think 1ghz would be more than enough power to
serve your workstations. Scsi drives are really the best way to go if you
are going to have a lot of requests for your data. I suppose i would have
to know what you were storing on the server to know any more. RAID is not
only a pretty kewl thing, it can really save your butt if you find yourself
with a dead hard drive. If you take a look at a dell poweredge, even the
most basic one, has the capacity for 4GB of ram, gads of hard drive space,
hot swappable i might add, the option for a second processor and loads of
other goodies.

> 3. Finally, what's a good network OS for my relatively small office? I
love
> the new XP Pro on my home computer, but is it really designed as a
> networking OS? If not, what is best for my needs?

I havent seen XP in action, but I run 2000 and i couldnt be happier. its a
snap to put together a networking environment. I highly recomend it. I
have heard a few horror stories of XP already, i would probably just stick
with 2000 imho.

Sounds like you are going to have lots of fun! hehe Good Luck!

Mandy

Networkguy

Nov 8, 2001, 3:23:56 AM11/8/01
> 1. Can anyone recommend a good server or company to use for servers? I'm
> thinking that peer-to-peer is just too slow, and that I really need to
move
> to a client-server topology to allow for future growth.

First of all, remember that once you have a server, you will quickly become
very dependant on it. If it goes down, it will cause you major headaches. As
such, going for the cheap option may cost you more in the long run.

Different people have their own opinions but the likes of Compaq, Dell, HP &
IBM all offer decent smallish servers that will all meet your needs.

> 2. What are the specs I should look for in a server? I've noticed in my
> basic research so far that the servers *seem* to be less powerful than the
> workstations ie many of the servers seem to only have 1 GHz processors at
> most, 256 RAM...considerably less than my home computer!

This is true but on your workstations, you are running various applications
AS WELL AS the operating system. You may also be running graphics packages
which demand loads of power. A server however is there to serve files (and
perhaps do email) and as such doesn't need as much raw CPU power. What it
does need however is good throughout so decent HDDs (SCSI would be nice) and
a good NIC ARE important.

What makes a server a server?

Is it the SCSI drives, the RAID configuration, the ECC RAM? What
> main points do I look for?

Look at Compaq/ Dell/ IBM/HPs web sites. You will also see that a lot of
these also come with various EXTRAs that you don't get on a desktop.

eg

ECC memory means that if the DIMM partially fails (ie one chip out of 8
fails), the system will keep on going (ECC stands for error checking &
correcting).
A nice feature on the Compaqs is that if the OS freezes, the server will
automatically reboot itself unattended after a set amount of time (very
useful on some Microsoft products).

> 3. Finally, what's a good network OS for my relatively small office? I
love
> the new XP Pro on my home computer, but is it really designed as a
> networking OS? If not, what is best for my needs?

Yes XP Pro is designed for networking but you will need to run a server OS
not a desktop one.

So you could wait for XP Server (next year sometime)
Windows 2000 server - I know a lot of enterprise customers running this who
are over the moon that an MS OS can be this stable. On top of that, it will
be a familiar GUI.
Linux is free (well almost) but the learning curve may be steeper.

Finally, whatever you choose, DO NOT use the server as a workstation as
well. This is a common mistake which will only lead to trouble.

Get your new server, set it up, switch the monitor off and lock it away.

i/o

Nov 8, 2001, 10:28:34 PM11/8/01

"Dr. Lorne Lavine" <lla...@att.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
tujavu...@corp.supernews.com...

> Hi folks,
>
> Looking for a few recommendations, here's my story:
>
> I have a small dental office that started with about 4 workstations, using
> Win 98 peer-to-peer network. Over the past couple of years, I've added
> workstations, and with the advent of digital images in dentistry, the need
> for network bandwidth has increased dramatically. I'm currently up to 12
> workstations and with plans to add a few more, I've begun to outgrow my
> current network.
>
> Yes, I've done the basics, such as switching to 10/100 NICs, replacing the
> cheap hub with a switch, etc etc, but with need for increased security due
> to increased personnel, it's time to upgrade.
>
> So the basic questions are:
>
> 1. Can anyone recommend a good server or company to use for servers? I'm
> thinking that peer-to-peer is just too slow, and that I really need to
move
> to a client-server topology to allow for future growth.

I don't have an opinion on that

> 2. What are the specs I should look for in a server? I've noticed in my
> basic research so far that the servers *seem* to be less powerful than the
> workstations ie many of the servers seem to only have 1 GHz processors at
> most, 256 RAM...considerably less than my home computer! What makes a
server
> a server? Is it the SCSI drives, the RAID configuration, the ECC RAM? What
> main points do I look for?

What do you want to do with your server? This is the first answer to get. I
assume File/Print sharing.
If I'm right, any new server will be powerful enough, even with growth. As
mentionned networkguy, you need a Reliable machine, first. That means:
backups, simple, proven, good quality components. Good procedures, also.
You can perform RAID with your OS. Pretty simple to do mirroring in any
Microsoft server OS, even in linux.
Just to give you an idea of how performance is not the same game than in
workstation world, the server where I work was performing these tasks:
Exchange server for 115 users, File/print sharing for 40 workstation.
What kind of machine ? Single Penthium Pro 200 MMX, 64 RAM EDO, 4.3 Gig SCSI
HDD, Mirror. Seagate external tape drive. Windows NT 4.0 server. We changed
it now, because of the Exchange server mailboxes taking too much disk space,
but we still use it in another workgroup. It was a clone (I don't suggest
you to get a clone, though.

One thing is sure, get scsi hard drives... SCSI frees your CPU from disk
management tasks... Since memory is cheap now, buy a lot, and use ECC,
since it reduces the probality of errors.

> 3. Finally, what's a good network OS for my relatively small office? I
love
> the new XP Pro on my home computer, but is it really designed as a
> networking OS? If not, what is best for my needs?

I recommend the simplest OS (as long as you don't foresee a drastic change
in the role of the server)
We use NT4 server everywhere where I work (5 servers) low resources use,
simple, reliable, proven (just make sure you install the most recent service
pack)
I would also suggest Linux, but it is not as easy as Microsoft's
But it is cheaper... free in fact. Excellent machine for file/print
sharing. Even better as a firewall/NAT Router. A 486 running linux can be
a good firewall for 70 workstations!

Microsoft is expensive. I'm in canada, so in Can$ 200$ for the OS and 30 $
for every client using server's services.

Hope this helps.

--
Ugo

Unknown

Nov 9, 2001, 9:52:21 AM11/9/01
>1. Can anyone recommend a good server or company to use for servers? I'm
>thinking that peer-to-peer is just too slow, and that I really need to move
>to a client-server topology to allow for future growth.

Yep. You need a true server OS. NT or W2K will be less confusing for
you, but Netware and even a Unix/Linux is a possibility.

>2. What are the specs I should look for in a server? I've noticed in my
>basic research so far that the servers *seem* to be less powerful than the
>workstations ie many of the servers seem to only have 1 GHz processors at
>most, 256 RAM...considerably less than my home computer! What makes a server
>a server? Is it the SCSI drives, the RAID configuration, the ECC RAM? What
>main points do I look for?

Servers have better hardware redundancy, things like RAID controllers,
hot-swap drives, redundant power supplies and the like. They also
have standard, approved hardware without the hoe gimmicks such as DVD,
3D Video, Dolby Surround Sound, etc. Servers usually have stable
processors, often dual, and though you can get the cutting edge speeds
it's not usually needed or even smart. Many come with 256 MB
expandable to multi-Gigabyte capacity of RAM, max them out.

Look for RAID, decent memory amounts, dual 100Base NIC's (Intels are
popular and can be joined for redundnacy or throughput), dual
processors and redundant power supplies. Make sure you have an
adequate backup capability, likely a DLT drive.

Manufacturers? Stick with the biggies, Compaq, Dell, HP, Gateway.

>3. Finally, what's a good network OS for my relatively small office? I love
>the new XP Pro on my home computer, but is it really designed as a
>networking OS? If not, what is best for my needs?

XP's server version isn't shipping yet and it's way too new to trust
as a network OS. W2K Server is a good choice, NT4 as a solid and
reliable performer. Netware 5.x is also stable, if you're inclined to
move to the dark side... :)

Best for your need? W2K Server on a dual 1 GHz Pentium III system
with 3 40GB drives on an array controller. 1 GB of RAM and a 20/40 GB
DLT backup drive. Dual Intel Pro100 server NIC's and an HP 24 port
100BaseT switch.

Jeff

i/o

Nov 9, 2001, 10:03:48 PM11/9/01
And the bill is ? 10,000$

--
Ugo

<Jeff Cochran> a écrit dans le message de news:
3beee6ad....@news.supernews.com...

Network Guy

Nov 10, 2001, 4:19:41 AM11/10/01

: And the bill is ? 10,000$

Just shoved this through IBMs web site:

Base Model Features and Specifications Part No Unit Price* Quantity
Price*
xSeries 220
Form factor Tower
Processor type Pentium III
Processor speed 1000 MHz
Processor cache 256 KB
Maximum storage 293 GB
Memory 128 MB
Maximum memory 4096 MB
Optical drive 48X-20X CD-ROM
Part number 864621X
864621X $849.00 USD 1 $849.00 USD

Accessories and Options Selected Part No Unit Price* Quantity Price*
ServeRAID-4Lx Ultra160 SCSI Controller 06P5740 $659.00 USD 1 $659.00
USD
RAID 5 - Primary Array - minimum of 3 HDDs required 32P9660 $0.00
USD 1 $0.00 USD
36.4GB 10000 rpm Ultra160 SCSI Hard Drive 00N8209 $499.00 USD
4 $1,996.00 USD
IBM 12/24GB DDS/3 4-mm Internal SCSI Tape Drive (HH) 09N4041 $699.00
USD 1 $699.00 USD
IBM 512MB PC133 ECC SDRAM RDIMM 10K0022 $499.00 USD 2 $998.00 USD
Media Bay Tray and LVD Cable Kit 10K2340 $69.00 USD 1 $69.00 USD
G78 17in CRT 16v BLK w/Select System Purchase Only 17MONGB $210.00 USD
1 $210.00 USD
3 YR Onsite repair 9x5 NBD warranty service upgrade 21P2021 $192.85
USD 1 $192.85 USD
Microsoft Small Business Server 2000, 5 CAL and IBM Director
(Preloaded) 32P9303 $1,299.00 USD 1 $1,299.00 USD
Internal RAID - Cabled and Setup 32P9667 $0.00 USD 1 $0.00 USD
Smart-UPS 1000 94G3135 $475.00 USD 1 $475.00 USD

----------------------------------

Total cost $7447 plus add about $200 for extra licenses and $600 for
installation.

THey do give a lease cost of $264 a month which makes it easier.

So your estimate of $10k isn't far off. But then again, if you want a decent
server which your business can rely on, is worth it.

i/o

Nov 10, 2001, 9:16:22 AM11/10/01
My estimate was for a dual processor system, as the guy before me suggested.
Nice from you to get the real numbers. One thing... what was the difference
in price for a 15 inches monitor instead? I don't think you need a 17" for
a server... if it is stable... Or get a good monitor for the server and
swap it with the worst monitor of the workstations.

My overall comment is that he won't see the difference from a powerfull
machine... he has only 12 clients, maybe 15... Whad will they do? probably
file sharing, since they do peer-to-peer now. I am convince that a single
Penthium II would do the job... with 128 megs of ram.

Just to give you an idea of how performance is not the same game than in
workstation world, the server where I work was performing these tasks:
Exchange server for 115 users, File/print sharing for 40 workstation.
What kind of machine ? Single Penthium Pro 200 MMX, 64 RAM EDO, 4.3 Gig SCSI
HDD, Mirror. Seagate external tape drive. Windows NT 4.0 server. We changed
it now, because of the Exchange server mailboxes taking too much disk space,

but we still use it in another workgroup, working for 30 users in file
sharing. It was a clone (I don't suggest you to get a clone, though.

I'll go to ibm's site see what I can find.
xSeries 220
Print this for your records

Base Model Features and Specifications Part No Unit Price* Quantity
Price*
xSeries 220
Form factor Tower
Processor type Pentium III
Processor speed 1000 MHz
Processor cache 256 KB
Maximum storage 293 GB
Memory 128 MB
Maximum memory 4096 MB
Optical drive 48X-20X CD-ROM
Part number 864621X
864621X $849.00 USD 1 $849.00 USD

Accessories and Options Selected Part No Unit Price* Quantity
Price*

18.2GB 10000 rpm Ultra160 SCSI Hard Drive 00N8208 $249.00 USD 2
$498.00 USD
Windows NT Server 4.0, 1-4 CPU, 10 CAL and IBM Director
(Preloaded) 01N0982 $799.00 USD 1 $799.00 USD
IBM 512MB PC133 ECC SDRAM RDIMM 10K0022 $499.00 USD 1 $499.00

USD
3 YR Onsite repair 9x5 NBD warranty service upgrade 21P2021

$203.00 USD 1 $203.00 USD
PRO/1000XT Server Adapter by Intel (option w/ software/manuals
CD) 22P6801 $185.00 USD 1 $185.00 USD
E54 15 inch Black CRT Monitor (13.8 inch viewable) MPRII 6331N2N
$149.00 USD 1 $149.00 USD
Smart-UPS 700 94G3134 $319.00 USD 1 $319.00 USD
Promotional 10/20NS Tape Drive (SL) SQ4TD01 $351.00 USD 1
$351.00 USD

Total: 3852$
The raid will be done by the OS, and he got 10 cals instead of 5. He could
get out with it under 5000$!
And I'm convince that it will do the job just as well!!!

--
Ugo

"Network Guy" <newsgroup@network##NOSPAM##guy.co.uk> a écrit dans le message
de news: 10053839...@eos.uk.clara.net...

Yousuf Khan

Nov 10, 2001, 7:41:43 PM11/10/01
"Dr. Lorne Lavine" <lla...@att.net> wrote in message
> So the basic questions are:
>
> 1. Can anyone recommend a good server or company to use for servers? I'm
> thinking that peer-to-peer is just too slow, and that I really need to
move
> to a client-server topology to allow for future growth.

You know, judging by your small network, I think the best solution for you
would be a Cobalt Networks "server-appliance". Take a look at the products
here:

http://www.cobalt.com/index.html

A server appliance is a relatively new product segment that are just coming
out these days. Their entire purpose in life is to make setting up a server
as easy as setting up a VCR (I assume your VCR isn't flashing "12:00"). :-)

There is no special software to learn with these things, they are completely
configured through a web-based interface -- just fire up your browser from
one of your workstations, and supply the password, and you are configuring a
server.

In your case, I'd say that the Cobalt Cube 3 would be the best appliance for
your purposes:

http://www.cobalt.com/products/qube/index.html

But you should check out their other products too, like their higher-end RaQ
appliances. The difference between the Cube and the various RaQ's is simply
powerfulness. They all seem to be able to do similar things. I think the
Cube servers start at $1100.

Cobalt is a division of Sun Microsystems Inc. You may have heard about Sun,
they are the manufacturers of some extremely high-end servers that are used
in big businesses and government to run such things as relational databases,
scientific/engineering applications, huge corporate websites, and rendering
feature films like "Toy Story" and "Monster, Inc.", etc. They are known for
some very kick-ass service and support. Cobalt is their low-end server
appliance division.

I really don't know what kind of a server you're looking at, that is what
kind of stuff are you going to want to "serve"? Is it simply going to be a
file server, or are you going to be using it to do some Internet-based
serving. Like for example these servers can be configured to be your email
server, a web server, a file server, an Internet firewall, etc. All of it
is configured through a simple web-interface.

> 2. What are the specs I should look for in a server? I've noticed in my
> basic research so far that the servers *seem* to be less powerful than the
> workstations ie many of the servers seem to only have 1 GHz processors at
> most, 256 RAM...considerably less than my home computer! What makes a
server
> a server? Is it the SCSI drives, the RAID configuration, the ECC RAM? What
> main points do I look for?

In most cases, yes, you don't really need very powerful processors to be a
server. What you need more often are fast and large hard disk systems. Also
you need some reliability features, so you will often see these things have
ECC RAM, and RAID-based hard disks. Servers are usually "I/O bound" rather
than "CPU bound".

> 3. Finally, what's a good network OS for my relatively small office? I
love
> the new XP Pro on my home computer, but is it really designed as a
> networking OS? If not, what is best for my needs?

If you've absolutely got your mind set on setting up your own servers using
a PC as a starting point, then you can use an OS like XP Pro, yes. However,
much more designed for these purposes is Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I
don't think an Advanced Server version of XP has come out yet, so you'll
have to stick to 2000.

Also, there is various packagings of Linux available, like those from Red
Hat, and Caldera, SUSE, etc. I don't think they are too difficult to
configure, and might fill the bill. If you buy the copies of the software
direct from the software maker rather than downloading it direct off of the
Internet, then you can usually get 90 days of free support from them.

But I'd really say, you should investigate the server appliance option.
Another server appliance maker that you might want to take a look at is the
Netapp family of "filers".

http://www.netapp.com/

Unlike the Cobalt appliances, these things are a little more specialized.
They only do file serving, rather than all of the other things like email,
firewall, webserving, etc. But they can be configured to hold a ton of
disks. For example, their entry-level F85 filer:

http://www.netapp.com/products/filer/f85_ds.html

Can be configured to hold upto 684GB of storage!!! And this is just their
entry-level filer. And again, it's all just configured through a web-based
interface like the Cobalts. These appliances are some really cool stuff.

Yousuf Khan

Network Guy

Nov 11, 2001, 12:18:10 PM11/11/01
: My estimate was for a dual processor system, as the guy before me

suggested.
: Nice from you to get the real numbers. One thing... what was the
difference
: in price for a 15 inches monitor instead? I don't think you need a 17"
for
: a server... if it is stable...

Agreed although for some strange reason, 17" was the smallest screen
offered!

: Just to give you an idea of how performance is not the same game than in

: workstation world, the server where I work was performing these tasks:
: Exchange server for 115 users, File/print sharing for 40 workstation.
: What kind of machine ? Single Penthium Pro 200 MMX, 64 RAM EDO, 4.3 Gig
SCSI
: HDD, Mirror. Seagate external tape drive. Windows NT 4.0 server. We
changed
: it now, because of the Exchange server mailboxes taking too much disk
space,
: but we still use it in another workgroup, working for 30 users in file
: sharing. It was a clone (I don't suggest you to get a clone, though.

I can second this also. At my old company our Exchange server (for 300
users) was an AST Bravo with a similar spec although we did stick a storage
array on it.

Evan R. Battle

Nov 26, 2001, 8:46:17 PM11/26/01

"Dr. Lorne Lavine" <lla...@att.net> wrote in message

> Hi folks,
>
> Looking for a few recommendations, here's my story:
>
> I have a small dental office that started with about 4 workstations, using
> Win 98 peer-to-peer network. Over the past couple of years, I've added
> workstations, and with the advent of digital images in dentistry, the need
> for network bandwidth has increased dramatically. I'm currently up to 12
> workstations and with plans to add a few more, I've begun to outgrow my
> current network.
>
> Yes, I've done the basics, such as switching to 10/100 NICs, replacing the
> cheap hub with a switch, etc etc, but with need for increased security due
> to increased personnel, it's time to upgrade.
>
> So the basic questions are:
>
> 1. Can anyone recommend a good server or company to use for servers? I'm
> thinking that peer-to-peer is just too slow, and that I really need to
move
> to a client-server topology to allow for future growth.

Stick to major manufacturers, for ease of support. Client server topology
would be best for ease of administration.

> 2. What are the specs I should look for in a server? I've noticed in my
> basic research so far that the servers *seem* to be less powerful than the
> workstations ie many of the servers seem to only have 1 GHz processors at
> most, 256 RAM...considerably less than my home computer! What makes a
server
> a server? Is it the SCSI drives, the RAID configuration, the ECC RAM? What
> main points do I look for?

Specs are entirely based upon what you use it for. If you will run a 120GB
Oracle DB used by 1500 users you may want to go w/ a 4 or 8 way server w/
3GB RAM and a multi controller RAID array w/ multiple hot-swap drives. If
you want to serve Files which is the likely scenario you will need minimum
processor(probably 900 MHz in this market) 256 MB minimum RAM but the most
important thing will be your disk subsystem and network connectivity. You
may want to consider a larger array of Hard Disks as well as a load balanced
NIC.

> 3. Finally, what's a good network OS for my relatively small office? I
love
> the new XP Pro on my home computer, but is it really designed as a
> networking OS? If not, what is best for my needs?

Yes, XP pro is designed for network use. It is based on the NT kernel and
from my experience is extremely stable as long as your apps. support it. If
such a new OS makes you nervous go w/ 2000pro.

> Thanks for any and all help.

Any Time.

> LL
>
> --
> Lorne Lavine, DMD, A+,N+
> Dental Technology Consultants
> 99 Swift Street #115
> S.Burlington, VT 05403
> 877-851-0297
> lla...@att.net
> www.dtc4u.com

Evan Battle MCSE(2k),CCNA,CNA,N+,A+

Ridgo

Nov 27, 2001, 6:28:18 PM11/27/01
I administer a dental system across 5 (2 surgeries and a reception on
each)sites connected via kilostreams to a single server.
The OS is NT Terminal Server running Citrix Metaframe.
Each dental practice has its own appointment book etc but it is possible to
book patients into other practices.
The Dental Software used is by a company called "Software Of Excellence" and
is called "Exact".
This system has been up and running for approx 1 year and touch wood has had
no major problems.
I recommend it, it is very flexible as far as adding new clients go, is
secure and you do not need expensive workstations as all the work is done on
the server.

The server spec is a single 933mhz Pentium with a gig of ram, raid
controller etc etc.
This has a second slot available for a cpu should it need it in the future

kakuman

Dec 12, 2001, 11:25:13 AM12/12/01
Hello Everyone,

I need some help please,

1) How does Internet Telephone work? I mean what is a theory beyond it.

2) Is there any special hardware needs for it or it just the piece of
software?

3) How much does it cast to run this program?

4) Where is this program stored?

5) What connection dos it need? I mean bandwidth.

6) If this program stored on server what server, need to run this program?

Please reply to my email and to the group.
Thank you very much for time.

Kaku

Halfton

Dec 12, 2001, 1:25:28 PM12/12/01
here's how it works
http://www.protocols.com/voip.htm

for more on cost and features contact a supplier/provider
a quick search at google will find a local source

sorry, I don't do email support
hth
Joe

"kakuman" <kak...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

edi

Dec 14, 2001, 1:05:30 AM12/14/01
Hardware: speakers and a microphone
Software: I use yahoo messenger which is free. Need to be installed on
both sides, you need to register with them as a user and get an ID, publish
your ID and your friends can see when you are online and connect to you and
vice versa.

Great if you have friends overseas

Edi

"kakuman" <kak...@ntlworld.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

George Jefferson

Dec 14, 2001, 11:47:33 AM12/14/01
:Software: I use yahoo messenger which is free. Need to be installed on

maybe not the place, but has anyone else had the porblem with the yahoo
setup software reporting massivly high feedback "your speakers may be too
close to the micriphone". I get this result no matter if
I use headphones or even no speakers at all.

Craig Reilly

Dec 20, 2001, 6:49:18 PM12/20/01
I use a Linksys Router with Voice Enabler (VoIP)... Now you can connect a
regular phone to this device (ie: a cordless phone) so you can roam the
house.

This system is supported by Net2Phone and the per minute rate is cheap and
connects to an actual phone number/telephone.

Just an option/thought...

"kakuman" <kak...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

---

somuchdumbinhere

Sep 3, 2015, 1:56:30 PM9/3/15
I can't believe these questions. I realize this is 15 years old, but there's no statute of limitations on this level of retard... You've gone full retard here. You never go full retard!

I think you should be ashamed of yourself for slapping that "prestigious" Network+ certifications in your sig, and seriously asking the group some of the most basic questions anyone with half a brain and a mere smidgen of actual experience with networks and computers would be able to answer for themselves. The fact that you somehow managed to cram for and pass your A+ and Network+ tests, is a dark stain on the credibility and value of the certs if you ask me.

XP Pro a good networking OS?
What makes a server a server?

Really? REALLY?

Jesus, man.