Who has had trouble with Jaz 1GB/2GB (Survey)?

Dan Star

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

After using a Jaz 2GB (in Win95B) for about 4 months with sporadic use
for imaging hard drives, the 2GB disk just went while being written to.
It could be the disk or maybe the drive; it doesn't really matter
which. The bottom-line is it failed with very important information.
Luckily, I could get most off the disk. I am disturbed that this
happened though and am questioning its reliability. Therefore, I would
like to find out from other users of the Jaz drive what experience they
have had with Jaz Drive reliability. Please respond to this post (cc
email if you can) and I will compile the statistics.

Regards,
Dan

Michael O'Malley

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
to dan...@execpc.com
I was going to buy a Jaz drive about 6 months ago - but I didn't for the
exact reason your experiences highlight. Numerous people I emailed on the
net who had Jaz drives or other removable drives had had problems -
normally with the disks.

As a result, I didn't buy one of these drives. It is a shame to see the
problems are still occuring - as I was thinking of buying a removable
harddrive again - my new work PC is under lease and I cannot crack the case
and install my internal HDD like I diud with my old PC.

You would think that IOMega would sort problems like this out pretty
sharpish.

Mike O'Malley

Dezzmond

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Michael O'Malley wrote in message <37B8DC07...@my-deja.com>...

>I was going to buy a Jaz drive about 6 months ago - but I didn't for the
>exact reason your experiences highlight. Numerous people I emailed on the
>net who had Jaz drives or other removable drives had had problems -
>normally with the disks.
*snip*

I recommended one to my father just over a year ago as a good idea for
data/large pic file storage, and found the 1Gb cartridges somewhat 'flaky'.
At the time their site listed various batches with certain faults, but I
don't remember whether the ones we had fell into them, but we sure had
problems. We also had major problems convincing the UK supplier to replace
them (Dabs direct - slate slate slate ;))

Andy.

Matt Chiglinsky

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
We have a Jaz 1GB with two cartridges where I work. I've never had a problem
with either of them, but I only use it for backups every few months so they
don't get stressed much.

Charlie Lang

Aug 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/23/99
I have had Jaz drives for a couple of years now. I have five 1Gig drives
and one 2 Gig drives. Every single drive has had to be replaced, four
of the one Gigs have been replace/repaired 2 times or more. The 2
Gig drive would not even format 1 month after purchase (I did not need
to try formatting until a cartridge started giving me problems.)

I constantly have had problems writting more than 650Mb or more data
onto the 1Gig drives. They constantly get failures out of no where (i.e.
one day they are fine then I try to retrieve data the next day and I cannot
read from the disk.

Over the weekend, I started having formatting problems again on one
of my 1Gig drives at home. Today I came into work and tried to format
on a drive at work which worked okay last week. Well today it constantly
gives me a loud click like the head is seeking to far (several cartridges
do the same).

Well I GUESS TWO MORE JAZ FAILURES HAVE OCCURRED.

My opinion is that (well I really cannot say what I feel) that Jaz drives
are
totally unrealible and should not be used. I never had problems like this
with 270Mb Syquest drives.

Charlie Lang

Matt Chiglinsky

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:59:44 -0400, "Charlie Lang" <Chas...@email.msn.com>
wrote:

>My opinion is that (well I really cannot say what I feel) that Jaz drives
>are
>totally unrealible and should not be used. I never had problems like this
>with 270Mb Syquest drives.

You ever slide the sleeve of a Jaz cartridge open? You can see right inside
to the metal platters. Aren't normal hard drives sealed tight at the factory
so no dust can get in? I've always wondered how a Jaz cartridge could last
longer than a week in this vulnerable state.

Paul Conway

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
I'd so many returns of my 1GB Jaz the retailer would almost try to hide when
I arrived, it had endless problems throughout its warranty period once the
warranty period was up it failed again and I took to it with a hammer in a
fit of rage (which gave me the most user satisfaction I had ever got from
the product, seeing it fly to pieces.), needless to say I wouldn't go near
one again although I have a External SCSI Zip 100 and have never had the
slightest problem, totally pleased with it.

Dan Star <dan...@execpc.com> wrote in message

Bryan Sutton

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
My 1GB Jazz just stopped working. Won't power on, no light, nothing.
Tested powersupply and its fine. I am well past warranty so I guess
it is a paper weight. Now I have a sinking feeling when ever I use
my internal 2GB in my work box.
B.Sutton

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:58:42 +1200, "Paul Conway" <pa...@ihug.co.nz>

quasi

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
Since this is a survey, I will add I have just gone through 3 jaz drives and
all have the same problem, 'Error writing to drive-d'.
Changed jaz disks ( 3 ), changed jaz drives ( 3 ), changed SCSI controller ( 3
), changed ribbon cables ( 50 pin simple SCSI ), manually removed drivers (
Win32 ), fresh install, changed machines!.
Spent 1 hour on horn to Iomega with level 3 tech, bitched out Supervisor, got
no answers to my dilemma, not even suggestions as to what to do next. < sigh >.

Anyone want some jaz drives, they're goin' cheap, cheap, cheap!!!

Steve

Peter McMorran

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
[courtesy copy sent to original poster]

In <7p9v73$9...@newsops.execpc.com>, on 08/16/99

at 04:18 PM, Dan Star <dan...@execpc.com> said:

>Hi,

>After using a Jaz 2GB (in Win95B) for about 4 months with
>sporadic use for imaging hard drives, the 2GB disk just went
>while being written to. It could be the disk or maybe the
>drive; it doesn't really matter which. The bottom-line is it
>failed with very important information. Luckily, I could get
>most off the disk. I am disturbed that this happened though and
>am questioning its reliability. Therefore, I would like to find
>out from other users of the Jaz drive what experience they have
>had with Jaz Drive reliability. Please respond to this post (cc
>email if you can) and I will compile the statistics.

I got my Jaz 1 Gb in Nov 1996, with two disks. The system is a
notebook running OS/2, with the Jaz mounted in an external SCSI
housing with a CDROM drive. The SCSI housing is only powered up
about once a month, to back up data to the Jaz (talk about light
use!). One disk had the original FAT format, the other was
formatted with IBM's HPFS (short format only). Used them
intermittantly until Nov 1998 when it became impossible to add
any files to either disk. The HPFS disk had 344 Mb free (about
66% full), while the FAT disk was pretty full, about 950 Mb used.

I got TIP, installed it and Win95 on an old hard drive, and ran
it on both disks. Took over 24 hours per disk; stalled at 44%
complete and crawled from there to the end.

Got a CDRW in July 1999 and managed to pull all the data off the
disks -- had to delete the files that were being created the
various times it locked up previously. Tried a couple of times to
long format the FAT disk, using Iomega DOS tools (running real
DOS 6.2.2). Hung both times about 45-46%, and crawled to about
50% before the timer ran out -- similar to the TIP result.

Exchanged the FAT disk, tried Iomega long format on new disk; bad
idea (disk cannot be accessed/formatted/nothing). Exchanged the
new disk, tried Iomega short format on the replacement; bad idea.
Exchanged the replacement, tried HPFS short format; not bad idea,
but failed. Went back to FAT (IBM short format), tried to fill
disk, failed at 67% (hmmm). And _now_ the original HPFS disk,
which was pretty good, will not go beyond 67% either.

Conclusion: My Jaz appears to have partially failed after 2 years
including maybe 50 hours power-on time; less than that with disk
loaded. Jaz may be OK for short term scratch space, but anything
of value should go to CDR as soon as possible. At a dollar for a
650 Mb disk, that's cheap insurance.

Cheers,
Peter

mcmo...@norfolk.infi.net (Peter McMorran)

James E

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Our company has got through about 20 faulty 2GB internal drives in the last
8 months - pathetic!!!.

Charlie Lang <Chas...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

> I have had Jaz drives for a couple of years now. I have five 1Gig drives
> and one 2 Gig drives. Every single drive has had to be replaced, four
> of the one Gigs have been replace/repaired 2 times or more. The 2
> Gig drive would not even format 1 month after purchase (I did not need
> to try formatting until a cartridge started giving me problems.)
>
> I constantly have had problems writting more than 650Mb or more data
> onto the 1Gig drives. They constantly get failures out of no where (i.e.
> one day they are fine then I try to retrieve data the next day and I
cannot
> read from the disk.
>
> Over the weekend, I started having formatting problems again on one
> of my 1Gig drives at home. Today I came into work and tried to format
> on a drive at work which worked okay last week. Well today it constantly
> gives me a loud click like the head is seeking to far (several cartridges
> do the same).
>
> Well I GUESS TWO MORE JAZ FAILURES HAVE OCCURRED.
>

> My opinion is that (well I really cannot say what I feel) that Jaz drives
> are
> totally unrealible and should not be used. I never had problems like this
> with 270Mb Syquest drives.
>

> Charlie Lang
>
> Dan Star wrote in message <7p9v73$9...@newsops.execpc.com>...

> >Hi,
> >
> >After using a Jaz 2GB (in Win95B) for about 4 months with sporadic use
> >for imaging hard drives, the 2GB disk just went while being written to.
> >It could be the disk or maybe the drive; it doesn't really matter
> >which. The bottom-line is it failed with very important information.
> >Luckily, I could get most off the disk. I am disturbed that this
> >happened though and am questioning its reliability. Therefore, I would
> >like to find out from other users of the Jaz drive what experience they
> >have had with Jaz Drive reliability. Please respond to this post (cc
> >email if you can) and I will compile the statistics.
> >

> >Regards,
> >Dan

Dan Star

Aug 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/26/99
Matt Chiglinsky wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:59:44 -0400, "Charlie Lang" <Chas...@email.msn.com>
> wrote:
>
> >My opinion is that (well I really cannot say what I feel) that Jaz drives
> >are
> >totally unrealible and should not be used. I never had problems like this
> >with 270Mb Syquest drives.
>
> You ever slide the sleeve of a Jaz cartridge open? You can see right inside
> to the metal platters. Aren't normal hard drives sealed tight at the factory
> so no dust can get in? I've always wondered how a Jaz cartridge could last
> longer than a week in this vulnerable state.

Sounds like potential for a problem. I don't know how fast the drive
spins but I am sure it is fast enough that a dust particle would become
a "boulder" as far as impact on the disk. It is also strange that the
disks seem to fail at around 63%; probably an inherent design flaw.

Regards,

Dan

Gary Morrison

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
> We have a Jaz 1GB with two cartridges where I work. I've never had a problem
> with either of them, but I only use it for backups every few months so they
> don't get stressed much.

After a couple years or so of using my Jaz2 for backups only, I'm having
possible hardware problems.

Leo Sun

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
two jaz drives in one week. All failed!!! Now I have a reason to sing "Jaz
is dead"!!!

quasi

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
OK, the determination now is that Jaz sucks! Fine! Good! Now then, what IS the
alternative? I don't need to burn. Already use tape backups, but those aren't too
swift for data transport and database surgery by my software support. I still NEED
(RELIABLE!!!) and simple data backup ( copy ) to a removeable medium 1 gig and
larger. What are the alternatives? How is Orb gearing up? Any word on their
products?

Steve

Bill Condie

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
Go for the new Iomega CD-RW.

My earlier non-critical UDF problem posted here has vanished, it uses
QuikSync -- and I got 4 CD-RWs and 16 CD-Rs in CompUSA today for TWENTY
BUCKS.

It's not a gig+, of course, but at $1 a pop . . .

Orb has a nice price and sounds fast. I heard it's being produced by a
former Syquest honcho, or founder, or something. That would frighten me off
until it became more mainstream.

quasi <qu...@cusave.com> wrote in message

Dee...@ix.netcom.com

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
quasi <qu...@cusave.com> wrote:

>OK, the determination now is that Jaz sucks! Fine! Good! Now then, what IS the
>alternative? I don't need to burn. Already use tape backups, but those aren't too
>swift for data transport and database surgery by my software support. I still NEED
>(RELIABLE!!!) and simple data backup ( copy ) to a removeable medium 1 gig and
>larger. What are the alternatives?

Go to www.fcpa.com, and check out Fujitsu's 1.3GB magneto-optical
drive (MCD3130SS). I don't think you can do better than that for
anywhere near its price ($485 at www.necx.com). It is an internal
drive though, so the drive itself wouldn't be portable. However,
they're supposed to be releasing a FireWire version in October (the
DynaMO 1300FE).

Dane

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
quasi wrote:

> OK, the determination now is that Jaz sucks! Fine! Good!
> Now then, what IS the alternative? I don't need to burn.
> Already use tape backups, but those aren't too swift for
> data transport & database surgery by my software support

> I still NEED (RELIABLE!!!) and simple data backup (copy)
> to a removeable medium 1 gig and larger. What are the
> alternatives? How is Orb gearing up? Any word on their
> products?
>
> Steve

Ever since I had some problems with my Jaz Drive/Disks, I
have been using a rather different approach for backing up
data at home. I purchased a Removable HDD Rack & Cartridge
(Model RH-17 made by Lian-Li, http://www.lian-li.com). The
cartride houses a Maxtor 8.4GB ($96 current selling price)
and is seen by my system as drive H: (I: is the Zip Drive,
J: is the Jaz Drive). I recently installed an RH-17 rack
on my system at work and now use the 8.4GB Maxtor in it's
(Lian-Li) cartridge to exchange (transport) large amounts
of data between work and home.

The rack comes with a cartridge and is slightly longer in
length than a CD-ROM, and installs quickly (even includes
a small fan which draws air in from the front of the case
to cool the hard drive). The rack/cartridge sells for $20.
Spare cartridges sell for $10.

When you think about it, a pair of racks for $20 and 8.4GB
of storage for $96 (total cost is $116), it's has been a
good alternative for me. The 8.4GB (based on powers of 10)
formats to 7.82 GB, & the cost is under $15/GB of storage.
This works for me, and it may or may not work for you, but
it is an alternative and extremely fast.

--
Anti-Spamming measures. To reply to me, remove nospam.
and ROT-13 my email address: qn...@nospam.fbhguynaq.arg

quasi

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Thank you Dane, I will check out their web site and probably try this
solution.

Steve

Cinda Balog

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
I've had my internal 1GB Jaz drive for about 3 years. I didn't have any
problems with up until recently.

The first thing is that I am not able to format any disk. The formating
process (long format) stops at 18% and after what seems like a couple hours,
says the format failed. I have used MS Dos to format to no avail. Says it
cannot write to boot table. Using the Dos SCSI utilities to diagnose the
disk, it says to remove write protection. The Iomega protection utility
says that it is unprotected.

The second problem that came up is when ejecting the disk and inserting a
second one, the unit will not power up, and the amber light just keeps
blinking in its slow manor. The only way I can get it to power back up is
by turning the computer off.

Fortunately, I don't keep anything vital on the disks. Just programs to
keep some of my hard drive free.

I also have an external Zip drive, aprox. 3 years old now. No problems with
that at all. Only had one bad Maxell zip disk. Seems the Zips are more
reliable then the jaz.

Peter McMorran <mcmo...@norfolk.infi.net> wrote in message

> [courtesy copy sent to original poster]
>
> In <7p9v73$9...@newsops.execpc.com>, on 08/16/99
> at 04:18 PM, Dan Star <dan...@execpc.com> said:
>

> >Hi,
>
> >After using a Jaz 2GB (in Win95B) for about 4 months with
> >sporadic use for imaging hard drives, the 2GB disk just went
> >while being written to. It could be the disk or maybe the
> >drive; it doesn't really matter which. The bottom-line is it
> >failed with very important information. Luckily, I could get
> >most off the disk. I am disturbed that this happened though and
> >am questioning its reliability. Therefore, I would like to find
> >out from other users of the Jaz drive what experience they have
> >had with Jaz Drive reliability. Please respond to this post (cc
> >email if you can) and I will compile the statistics.

Steve Rowe

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
In the last 11 months, I have had 4 internal 1GB Jaz drives that have
all expired. The fourth drive lasted the longest, a record 6 months of
being used for 5 minutes a week to run a simple backup! after losing
important data the first time I learned not to rely on Iomega products.
I think I'll buy a CD writer, but it won't be from Iomega...

Steve Rowe
adolfb...@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk

In article <7p9v73$9...@newsops.execpc.com>,

dan...@execpc.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After using a Jaz 2GB (in Win95B) for about 4 months with sporadic use
> for imaging hard drives, the 2GB disk just went while being written
to.
> It could be the disk or maybe the drive; it doesn't really matter
> which. The bottom-line is it failed with very important information.
> Luckily, I could get most off the disk. I am disturbed that this
> happened though and am questioning its reliability. Therefore, I
would
> like to find out from other users of the Jaz drive what experience
they
> have had with Jaz Drive reliability. Please respond to this post (cc
> email if you can) and I will compile the statistics.
>

> Regards,
> Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Terminus Nord

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
In article <7qle9i$4bp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Steve Rowe
<awol...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> In the last 11 months, I have had 4 internal 1GB Jaz drives that have
> all expired. The fourth drive lasted the longest, a record 6 months of
> being used for 5 minutes a week to run a simple backup! after losing
> important data the first time I learned not to rely on Iomega products.
> I think I'll buy a CD writer, but it won't be from Iomega...

My external JAZ drive lasted a marathon 9 months! What a super f***** deal
for only $399! My ZIPdrive longevity was even better, a whole 15 months
before total click death failure. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the new 10 gig
removable Iomega SHITdrive due out sometime this fall, 'cause losing 1 GB
at a time just isn't good enough--my need for unrecoverable data loss is
insatiable!

On a more serious note, get a CD-RW burner with a Yamaha 4416 mechanism.
You will not be disappointed.

-Adam
e-name: adamsmith
domain: mediaone.net
You supply the @

kc8adu

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
many repeat failures of the 1gb jaz.
my conclusion-they are all JUNK!

--
remove ns. to reply.
too much spam!

* * Chasman

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

There are other "hot swapable" drives on the market also.

At a nearby college that teaches computer graphics, some of the students
don't even own a computer, just a HDD for the Macs at school.

Chas.

James E

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
Yup - plenty of trouble - about 20 drives worth!!!

* * Chasman <dna...@aol.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

blinking...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2018, 2:25:32 AM8/31/18
>Anyone want some jaz drives, they're goin' cheap, cheap, cheap!!!

I've been looking for something to shoot into confetti besides clay pigeons.