Teac 2.88MB Floppy - Won't work!

Lester Paul Vecsey

Jan 2, 1995, 10:33:26 AM1/2/95
I have a 2.88MB Teac Floppy, and my CMOS is configured as 2.88MB - when I
try to format a floppy, 1.44mb or 2.88mb, it doesn't work! I get a
general failure error. I'm using a 1.44MB floppy, but that shouldn't
matter.. the drive should at least format it to 1.44MB when I force
format.com to that setting.

I've tried it the drive on two computers, both with CMOS's set to 2.88MB...
In fact the one motherboard has the IO controller built in, so thats not
the problem.

--
_______________________________
| |

Gerry Hickford

Jan 4, 1995, 12:04:23 AM1/4/95

Join the clan I have the same problem, only mine is a 1.44Mb Dvr. mounted
externaly in a Mini Tower case and power supply, connected to a Compaq
Presario Computer, it will read,write, diskcopy, xcopy, copy, Etc. but
will not format a disk of any format. If you find out what is wrong let
me know as maybe it will fix mine as well,and vise-versa, please Email me
hi...@hakatac.almanac.bc.ca.
Regards; Gerry

Marty Maidelis

Jan 6, 1995, 9:04:14 PM1/6/95
In <D1sB7...@maple.nis.net> lve...@maple.nis.net (Lester Paul Vecsey) writes:

>I have a 2.88MB Teac Floppy, and my CMOS is configured as 2.88MB - when I
>try to format a floppy, 1.44mb or 2.88mb, it doesn't work! I get a
>general failure error. I'm using a 1.44MB floppy, but that shouldn't
>matter.. the drive should at least format it to 1.44MB when I force
>format.com to that setting.
>
>I've tried it the drive on two computers, both with CMOS's set to 2.88MB...
>In fact the one motherboard has the IO controller built in, so thats not
>the problem.

1. Make sure the controller is 2.88MB capable, ie, supports 1000KBps Xfers
in addition to 500KB (1.44) and 250KBps (720).
2. The Teacs have jumper settings. Teac Fax back # is (213) 727-7629
You'll need the model number eg, 235J-3631. The last four numbers are
crucial!!!
3. Need to know what the jumpers on the TEAC should be set to for YOUR
controller!!! They are different. For example, the Intel FDC chipset
would use one set of settings, the SMC chipset another, etc.
Proably the best way is to call the controller manufacturer to get the jumper
settings for the TEAC 235J-xxxx. They have them, since the manufacturers
test the controllers with the TEAC drives.
4. I should know - I went through hell to get my TEAC to work. Then it
stopped working in DOS. I can do everything except use 2.88MB floppies.
My controller has the SMC FDC chipset, which is $#@!. Get a controller
with an Intel or NS FDC ASIC.
5. If I want to read/write/format 2.88MB diskettes, I use OS/2 Warp.
(My machine is dual boot and I almost always use Warp, so the floppy
not working in DOS is no big deal.)
6. Don't be surprised if the controller manufacturer is not much help.
When I called mine (Tyan and then Promise, both controllers used the
SMC FDC ASIC), the tech support was terrible. Tyan didn't know the
answers, Promise ignored my calls.

GOOD LUCK!

Marty Maidelis

Jan 7, 1995, 12:07:02 PM1/7/95

I failed to mention something in the previous post. -- I don't know
why, but the TEAC's are sent from the factory with jumper settings
that won't work with any controller (as far as I know). GSI, SMC, etc
all need different jumper settings from the default.
Go figure!