heatsink/fan for lga 775 cpu

dilbert firestorm

Jul 29, 2015, 9:55:23 AM7/29/15
anyone recommend a heatsink/fan combo or heatsink for a lga775 based
cpu, Intel QX6850.

there are a bunch of em on newegg & amazon.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me

SC Tom

Jul 29, 2015, 11:44:51 AM7/29/15

"dilbert firestorm" <sca...@bytemei-55.com> wrote in message
> anyone recommend a heatsink/fan combo or heatsink for a lga775 based cpu,
> Intel QX6850.
>
> there are a bunch of em on newegg & amazon.

I'd go through the reviews on the best-ranked ones and narrow it down that
way. Although someone here will say the XYZ-123 is the best ever made,
someone else may say it's the biggest POS they've ever owned. Reviewing
reviews has worked for me more often than not.
--
SC Tom

John Weiss

Jul 29, 2015, 2:38:48 PM7/29/15
Depends on your needs...

If you don't overclock, virtually any cooler - including the stock one
- will do. If quiet and efficiency are your priorities, go to Noctua.
If price is paramount, pick an Arctic Cooling, Thermaltake,
CoolerMaster, or Zalman that looks good at the price point you need.

dilbert firestorm

Jul 30, 2015, 5:57:08 AM7/30/15
good advice on reading the reviews.
I've looked at the heat sink fans and some of them are insane!!! lol!

SC Tom

Jul 30, 2015, 7:50:16 AM7/30/15

"dilbert firestorm" <sca...@bytemei-55.com> wrote in message
If you mean design and size, I certainly agree. I had my eye on a
highly-rated one a few years back when I got my AMD Phenom II 3.4GHz, and
after reading the measurements, I would have to cut a 5" square hole in the
side of my mid-tower for it to fit :-) And I'm not too sure I wouldn't have
needed a truss bar to keep it from ripping itself off my MB. A bit too much
work for me LOL!
--
SC Tom

Anssi Saari

Aug 5, 2015, 6:26:24 AM8/5/15
dilbert firestorm <sca...@bytemei-55.com> writes:

> anyone recommend a heatsink/fan combo or heatsink for a lga775 based
> cpu, Intel QX6850.
>
> there are a bunch of em on newegg & amazon.

I really liked the fact that the Noctua I bought back in 2009 for LGA
775 had a mounting kit available for LGA 1150 in 2012 when I
upgraded. The specific Noctua model is NH-C12P but they don't make those
any more.

Anyways, looks like these days Noctua has a "SecuFirm2™ mounting system"
which fits multiple sockets.

dilbert firestorm

Aug 14, 2015, 11:39:04 PM8/14/15
wow, checked out that fan, that would certainly clear any obstacles on
the mobo.

John Weiss

Aug 17, 2015, 4:57:59 PM8/17/15
dilbert firestorm wrote:

>>> anyone recommend a heatsink/fan combo or heatsink for a lga775
>>> based cpu, Intel QX6850.
>>>
>> I really liked the fact that the Noctua I bought back in 2009 for
>> LGA 775 had a mounting kit available for LGA 1150 in 2012 when I
>> upgraded. The specific Noctua model is NH-C12P but they don't make
>> those any more.
>>
>> Anyways, looks like these days Noctua has a "SecuFirm2™ mounting
>> system" which fits multiple sockets.
>
> wow, checked out that fan, that would certainly clear any obstacles
> on the mobo.

The NH-L12 is available on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608025

It appears they figured out how to fit dual fans (120 and 92mm) on the
cooler, and it is half the price of the superceded NH-C12P SE14, which
is still available:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2JZ3494

Both will fit the LGA775.

I had the NH-C12P on my old QX6850 rig several years ago. It did not
have the 140mm fan, though. it was more like the NH-L12 without the
added 92mm fan. I suspect that for a non-overclocked 6850, you could
try it either with a single fan or both fans with the LNA (low noise
adapter).