Power supply requirements?

John Oliver

May 6, 2003, 4:51:27 PM5/6/03
I have a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard with an AMD 2100+
"boxed" CPU. Looking for answers for a problem with stability when
running a 266MHz FSB led me to my power supply which, it turns out, is a
300W (and probably a "cheapie" to boot). What, realistically, does this
mobo/CPU require? 350W? More? I don't want to spend $100+ unless it's
really necessary. This box has 256MB RAM, one hard disk, and a CD
burner. I could see adding memory and maybe one more hard disk in the
future.

--
John Oliver, CCNA http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/

Ed Light

May 6, 2003, 5:14:25 PM5/6/03
Cheap power supplies make less amps than good ones, though they are both
rated 300w (somehow).
newegg.com has images of the power supply label for all their power supplies
and powered cases. You can compare them there.

AMD specifies:
Volt Rail / Amps

+3.3 28

5 30

12 15

5 2

But, that's more than most people need, which is why many cheap cases work
ok if their power is stable.

The good, standard, review-recommended power supplies will meet those specs.

Antec, Enermax, and, I'm sure, the new quiet Thermaltakes.

newegg has lots of customer reviews on their site, so you can see how an
item is working, though they do purge _some_ of the negative ones.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

"John Oliver" <jol...@john-oliver.net> wrote in message

Frank Hagan

May 6, 2003, 5:32:03 PM5/6/03
For around $100 you should be able to pick up an Antec case with a 350watt
P.S. I got my SX-835II on sale at Best Buy for $70 :-) Works great with:

SY-KT400 DUB
XP2100 T'bred FSB166 x 13 (2158MHz) Core voltage 1.7
512MB PC3200 (set as PC2700)
WIN98SE
Antec SX-835
Vantec Aeroflow 7040 and of course ASIII ;-)
Maxtor 40GB
ASUS GeForce4 MX440 AGP8x
On Board LAN and C-Media sound
USR 56k voice fax modem
2x 80cm intake / 2x 80cm exhaust
1x 80 cm side panel
3x 40 cm HD cooler

Antec makes decent power supplies. I'm using two now with no problems.

FRH

Neil

May 6, 2003, 5:52:23 PM5/6/03
John Oliver wrote:

> I have a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard with an AMD 2100+
> "boxed" CPU. Looking for answers for a problem with stability when
> running a 266MHz FSB led me to my power supply which, it turns out, is a
> 300W (and probably a "cheapie" to boot). What, realistically, does this
> mobo/CPU require? 350W? More? I don't want to spend $100+ unless it's
> really necessary. This box has 256MB RAM, one hard disk, and a CD
> burner. I could see adding memory and maybe one more hard disk in the
> future.

I bought a 430 watt a few years back enermax and have never looked back or
had any problems power supply wise, have soldered my connectors on the
molex's back together a few times, after countless board changes and 5 or
more case changes though, she is still going. No point in nickle and
dimming as far as power supply is concerned. If I was to buy a new one
today would grab an antec true power of at least 430 watt or there abouts.
--
Neil
http://members.rogers.com/nasrott

Helge Johnsen

May 6, 2003, 6:07:19 PM5/6/03

"John Oliver" <jol...@john-oliver.net> skrev i melding

ABIT KX7-333, XP2100+@2210MHz, 256M RAM, DVD, CD-RW

Changed the noname 300W to a Q-Tec 450W. No more hangs and reboots.
But I think a "high end" 350W will do.

Helge

Ted

May 6, 2003, 6:31:15 PM5/6/03
On 06 May 2003 20:51:27 GMT, jol...@john-oliver.net (John Oliver)
wrote:

>I have a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard with an AMD 2100+
>"boxed" CPU. Looking for answers for a problem with stability when
>running a 266MHz FSB led me to my power supply which, it turns out, is a
>300W (and probably a "cheapie" to boot). What, realistically, does this
>mobo/CPU require? 350W? More? I don't want to spend $100+ unless it's
>really necessary. This box has 256MB RAM, one hard disk, and a CD
>burner. I could see adding memory and maybe one more hard disk in the
>future.

I think Id get a decent 350.
A friend is running a XP 1600 two hard disks and a MX400 graphics card
, a CD rom and burner with a 250 watt compusa PS. Ive run a XP 1700
with 4 hard disks and two burners , TV card with a 300 watt compusa
PS. Had a Antec 300 watt with the new case but switched to a 400
Compusa PS and am runniing 3 HDs , DVD burner, CD burner, TV tuner,
music card.

Theres a codegen at Newegg 400watts for $35 AMD certified it says. And
a Antec for $62 400 watts.

kony

May 6, 2003, 7:19:36 PM5/6/03
wrote:

>I have a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard with an AMD 2100+

>"boxed" CPU. Looking for answers for a problem with stability when
>running a 266MHz FSB led me to my power supply which, it turns out, is a
>300W (and probably a "cheapie" to boot). What, realistically, does this
>mobo/CPU require? 350W? More? I don't want to spend $100+ unless it's
>really necessary. This box has 256MB RAM, one hard disk, and a CD
>burner. I could see adding memory and maybe one more hard disk in the
>future.

Consider the video card too, it's the second-largest consumer in a
higher-performance system if it's a modern gamer's card.

A good, name-brand 300W power supply should be enough, though if
that's the Palomino XP2100+ and/or you have a demanding video card too
you might prefer a 350W model. You certainly do not need to spend
anywhere near $100, but realize that if your current power supply is
junk it may underperform a good 235+W power supply... it's not that
you need high-end power, just that you started out with "too" low-end.

Adding the memory and another HDD wouldn't require a significantly
larger power supply, if (whichever) you use has reasonable reserve
capacity these additions won't matter.

Sparkle/Fortron and Antec Truepower are two commonly available brands,
you should be fine with either of those makes, 300-350W model. On any
power supply the the specs should list a combined 3V+5V rating, it'd
be good to have a minimum of 180W there, preferrably 200+W in
whichever you choose. The Antec Truepower is exception to this, I
think they still don't list the combined 3V+5V, but their total output
rating compares, can be used as the guidline.

Dave

John Oliver

May 6, 2003, 9:44:27 PM5/6/03

I just bought an Enermax 350W and aren't seeing any change at all. So
that wasn't my problem :-(

philo

May 7, 2003, 5:43:13 AM5/7/03

"John Oliver" <jol...@john-oliver.net> wrote in message
> I have a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard with an AMD 2100+
> "boxed" CPU. Looking for answers for a problem with stability when
> running a 266MHz FSB led me to my power supply which, it turns out, is a
> 300W (and probably a "cheapie" to boot). What, realistically, does this
> mobo/CPU require? 350W? More? I don't want to spend $100+ unless it's
> really necessary. This box has 256MB RAM, one hard disk, and a CD
> burner. I could see adding memory and maybe one more hard disk in the
> future.

i've been running an amd-1200 with a decent quality 200 watt supply
(one hd and one cd-dvd)
it's on about 12 hours a day and has been in steady use for over a year
now...
no problems
btw: the power supply replaced a cheapie 300 watt supply that lasted about
one day

although i certainly recommend more than a 200 watt supply
and also think even a "cheapie" supply would probably last more than a
day...
trying to save money can often be a more expensive way to go!

Hi - Adopt Me!

May 7, 2003, 6:59:31 AM5/7/03
300w should be plenty provided you don't have excessive peripherals
(multiple harddrives, cd-roms, fans and video cards). Biggest problem with
cheap PSUs isn't necessarily the total wattage, but how much they can supply
at any given time to the particular rails. The 12V rail is the most
frequently neglected. To keep yourself covered for an average system (2
optical drives, 2 hard drives, 2 fans, middle of the road processor and
video card, usual peripherals) you really want to make sure your 12v line is
getting at least 15a. Check your PSU and you'll probably find it's
considerably less than this - most generic PSUs are and it is a big cause of
instability. Have a look at
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/ for a crash course on
power requirements.

news-g32t...@spam-box.connectfree.co.uk

May 7, 2003, 2:56:43 PM5/7/03
jol...@john-oliver.net (John Oliver) wrote:

>I have a Soyo KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum motherboard with an AMD 2100+
>"boxed" CPU. Looking for answers for a problem with stability when
>running a 266MHz FSB led me to my power supply which, it turns out, is a
>300W (and probably a "cheapie" to boot). What, realistically, does this
>mobo/CPU require? 350W? More? I don't want to spend $100+ unless it's
>really necessary. This box has 256MB RAM, one hard disk, and a CD
>burner. I could see adding memory and maybe one more hard disk in the
>future.

At the price that PSUs sell at nowadays, just for for something like a
400W to 450W, if they exist.

For instance, when I upgraded the mo-bo, CPU and RAM ages ago I
overspecified the PSU. Glad I did as the repertoire of my PC has
grown. 2 USB v1.1 ports, 5 USB v2 ports, Usual hard disk, floppy and
as the keyboard port is always powered, that powers a KVM box.

That there are 2 SCSI CD drives and two IDE drives. Out of all the
USB ports in use, not all of them, but there is over an amp of power
required. The USB powered scanner itself reports 496mA required.

The PSU I put in from the start copes with the load without a single
problem.

Better over-specify from the start, just no need to go crazy to the
point that you ask the utility company to install a sub-station just
for your own use.

Gooey_GUI

May 7, 2003, 4:41:28 PM5/7/03

"John Oliver" <jol...@john-oliver.net> wrote in message

Choosing The Right Power Supply
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/

MaximumPC Power Supply Tips
http://www.maximumpc.com/reprints/reprint_2002-03-13.html#10power

21 Power Supplies Compared
http://www17.tomshardware.com/howto/02q4/021021/index.html

4-Way Power Supply Shootout: Vantec, Enermax, ThermalTake, Antec
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1774

Antec Truepower 430 watt
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/antectruepower430/

Antec - TruePower 430W PSU
http://www.modding.net/review.asp?ReviewID=59

Antec TrueBlue480 Power Supply
http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/trueblue/p1.html

Antec TruePower 550watt PSU Review
http://www.mikhailtech.com/modules.php?name=Articles&rop=showcontent&id=21

Antec True Power 550W
http://www.subzerotech.com/index.php?module=sz_reviews_display&id=84

Coolmax 470W "Taurus Series" Power Supply Review
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/coolmax_taurus_psu/index.shtml

CoolMax 470w Aluminum Triple LED Fan PSU
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/CoolMax_PSU/index.html

CoolMAX 550W Aluminum w/ Trilight LED fan
http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/coolmax550/p1.html

Enermax EG-365P-VE 350w Power Supply Review
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/enermax_330/index.shtml

Enermax EG451P-VE 431Watts Power Supply Review
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/enermax_psu/index.shtml

Enermax Custom EG465P-VE Power Supply
http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/enermax431w/p1.html

Enermax EG465P-VE 431W PSU
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/79/

iCute 420W PSU Review
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/frozencpu_icute_psu/index.shtml

I-Star TC-400R8A 400W+400W Mini Redundant Power Supply
http://www.voidedwarranty.com/reviews/63/index.shtml

Kingwin 450w Quad LED Fan PSU
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/Kingwin_QuadFan_PSU/index.htm

Kingwin Triple Fan 450 watt ATX PSU
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/Kingwin_450w_PSU/index.htm

KingWin KWI-450W Power Supply
http://www.pcabusers.com/reviews/kingwin450w/p1.html

Kingwin Aluminum Power Supply KWI-450WAS - 4 Fan
http://www.hitechmods.com/reviews/power_supply/kingwin_450_4fan/kingwinkwi_4
50_4fan.shtml

PCToys PowerMaxx 520W PSU Review
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/pctoys_power_maxx_520psu/index.shtml

Raidmax LP-6100D Blue Aluminum PSU
http://www.modthebox.com/review160_1.html

Skyhawk 400W PSU Review
http://www.subzerotech.com/index.php?module=sz_news_display&id=2053

Thermaltake Silent Purepower 420W PSU
http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/case_cool/thermaltake/misc/purepower/420w_1
.shtml

Thermaltake 420W Silent PurePower
http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/cases_psu/tt_420apd/page1.asp

leeper

May 7, 2003, 9:44:41 PM5/7/03
I would stick with 350Watt PSU. A good quality 300Watt will do for what
equipment you have now, but for upgrading purposes 350Watt should give you
enough room...

Ed Jr.

May 15, 2003, 11:32:51 PM5/15/03
Well, when in doubt, consult the processor website & the appropriate
recommended Power Supplies. But either way, with a 2100+, I would suggest
atleast a 400 or 450 watt PS. But take the effort to look at specs. You
really should be selective of voltage variations. (12v. ą 10%, 5v. ą 5%,
etc, etc.) The LOWEST variation or "ą" percentile, the more accurate & pure
your power will be. Well worth it in the long run. Line voltage variations
can make a world of difference regarding stability, component temps, &
performance.

Hope this helped.

Ed.