Jill of the Jungle REVIEW...

George Dolbier

Jun 23, 1992, 2:01:15 PM6/23/92
I just downloaded Jill of the Jungle last night...

I rate it up there with commander keen and wolf3d.

Story:
Jill of the jungle is shareware released from Epic MegaGames. It looks like
Epic MegaGames is attempting to break into the shareware market opened up
by Apogee. The game is the first part of 3, so you could consider it an
"evaluation copy".

The game also comes with a fun add on. One of the options from the main menu
called "noisemaker" which turns the keyboard into an sound effect generator.
Most keys make a different sound effect that appears in the game (maybe some
foreshadowing!!)

>(bits from the docs used out of order and without permission:)
>
>Requirements:
> CGA, EGA, or VGA graphics (supports high-quality 256-color graphics.)
> 80286 or faster processor recommended
> 512K memory and DOS 3.0 or later
>
>Also supports:
> Sound Blaster & compatible music cards
> Joystick
>
>Jill of the Jungle is a Nintendo-style arcade adventure game with 256-color
>VGA graphics, great sound effects, and a Sound Blaster-compatible musical
>sound track. This immense game world, Volume I in the Jill series,
>challenges both your mind and your arcade reflexes -- fun for the whole
>family!
>
>If you enjoy Jill, you can continue your adventure by buying Jill Volumes
>II and III (Jill Goes Underground and Jill Saves the Prince). These action-
>packed games contain loads of new action, excitement, graphics, and music!

This game is COOL!!! I downloaded it from ftp.ulowell.edu (129.63.32.1)
in msdos/Games/Epic/jill.zip. ( you may have seen the post in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives ) Epic MegaGames bbs(RunWay):
215-623-6209 (2400 Baud)
215-623-6103 (38.4K HST)
215-622-7663 (38.4K V.32)

I am in no way associated with Epic MegaGames.

George Dolbier Sequent Computer Systems Inc.
UUCP: uunet!sequent!georged 15450 S.W. Koll Parkway
Internet: geo...@sequent.com Phone: (503) 578-5776
Maintainer's Motto: If we can't fix it, it ain't broke.
Disclaimer: The comments listed above are my own and do not reflect the
opinions of my employer, Sequent Computer Systems Inc.

brian david gilbert

Jun 23, 1992, 5:40:41 PM6/23/92
In article <1992Jun23.1...@sequent.com> geo...@sequent.com (George Dolbier) writes:
>I just downloaded Jill of the Jungle last night...
>
>I rate it up there with commander keen and wolf3d.
>
>This game is COOL!!! I downloaded it from ftp.ulowell.edu (129.63.32.1)
>in msdos/Games/Epic/jill.zip. ( you may have seen the post in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives ) Epic MegaGames bbs(RunWay):

I also downloaded the game to try it out and had problems
with the screen breaking up and the PC locking up. Anyone
else run into these problems. I have a 386SX with a VGA
monitor and 4 Mb of memory.

Brian

--
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
* Email: gil...@cs.colostate.edu | Yes my life is better left to chance *

Donald Burden

Jun 23, 1992, 6:55:01 PM6/23/92
In article <Jun23.214...@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU> gil...@CS.ColoState.EDU (brian david gilbert) writes:

>I also downloaded the game to try it out and had problems
>with the screen breaking up and the PC locking up. Anyone
>else run into these problems. I have a 386SX with a VGA
>monitor and 4 Mb of memory.
>
>Brian

I tried it out on a PS/2 with MCGA graphics (MCGA is usually compatible
with VGA mode 200 x 320 x 256 colors). When I tried it in VGA mode, the
screen breaks up into little screens images along the top half or the bottom
half of the screen - two rows of four tiny screen images are displayed -
really looks wierd.

Dave Pottinger

Jun 23, 1992, 8:07:14 PM6/23/92

I also tried the game. The screen, when I can see it, looks fine. My problem
is that after 3 or 4 seconds of inactivity, the screen keeps blanking out. If
I press a key, it comes right back. This makes the quite definitely
unplayable. I've got a 386-25 with VGA and 4 MB; there are no offending TSRs
running either.

* Dave Pottinger * "You're perfect, yes, it's true, *
* da...@evax2.engr.arizona.edu * But without me, you're only you." *
* * -- "MidLife Crisis" Faith No More *

Jason White

Jun 24, 1992, 4:38:10 AM6/24/92
The game is good. The animation is pretty smooth, but I have one complaint.

It is WAY. WAY to short. I played from about 5am to 7am and won. And it wasn't
a mortal struggle to do, either.

--
Jason White | I am Amiga
ja...@edsi.plexus.COM | hear me roar!
| /
SYSOP of Computer Continent | \/

Jeff Bangert

Jun 24, 1992, 7:56:47 AM6/24/92
In article <1992Jun23....@arizona.edu>, da...@evax2.engr.arizona.edu (Dave Pottinger) writes:

> I also tried the game. The screen, when I can see it, looks fine. My problem
> is that after 3 or 4 seconds of inactivity, the screen keeps blanking out. If
> I press a key, it comes right back. This makes the quite definitely
> unplayable. I've got a 386-25 with VGA and 4 MB; there are no offending TSRs
> running either.

My screen is OK, but after playing for a few minutes I get a hard
lockup.

386SX with 8 meg, Ethernet card, AppleTalk card, nothing else in
memory.

--
Jeff Bangert je...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Computer Center je...@ukanvax.bitnet

Khan

Jun 24, 1992, 8:28:23 AM6/24/92

In article <1992Jun23....@arizona.edu> da...@evax2.engr.arizona.edu (Dave Pottinger) writes:
>In article <1992Jun23.2...@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, dro...@hal.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Donald Burden) writes:
>>In article <Jun23.214...@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU> gil...@CS.ColoState.EDU (brian david gilbert) writes:
>>>
>>>I also downloaded the game to try it out and had problems
>>>with the screen breaking up and the PC locking up.
>>>
>>I tried it out on a PS/2 with MCGA graphics (MCGA is usually compatible
>>with VGA mode 200 x 320 x 256 colors). When I tried it in VGA mode, the
>>screen breaks up into little screens images along the top half or the bottom
>>half of the screen - two rows of four tiny screen images are displayed -
>>really looks wierd.
>
>I also tried the game. The screen, when I can see it, looks fine. My problem
>is that after 3 or 4 seconds of inactivity, the screen keeps blanking out. If
>I press a key, it comes right back. This makes the quite definitely
>unplayable. I've got a 386-25 with VGA and 4 MB; there are no offending TSRs
>running either.

What kind of VGA cards do you have? Jill runs fine on my '486 with Tseng
ET4000-based SVGA card.

psc...@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu

Jun 24, 1992, 12:02:00 PM6/24/92

Well, here's my .02.
a) the game runs fine on my machine, a ps/2 model 30-286 with no add-ons,

except that the animation is not that smooth, but not particularly bothersome.

b) Like another poster, I found it not terribly challenging, although who knows
if I missed many wonderful secrets.

c) Mild aggravation: it won't play completely silently. SInce I don't have
a sound board, I usually run with sound off. Jill still beeps almost
constantly even with sound fx off. On the other hand the noise generator
is fun.

d)On the whole, IMHO, about on the level of Crystal Caves or Secret Agent
(or whatever those games are called) not nearly up to Keen. Unless
I hear something interesting that I missed, I doubt I'll play it again.
If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered down loading it.

That said, I appreciate the effort of the programmers and the commitment
to shareware.

Chas

stee...@stat.appstate.edu

Jun 24, 1992, 3:24:20 PM6/24/92
In article <1992Jun23.1...@sequent.com>, geo...@sequent.com (George Dolbier) writes:
> I just downloaded Jill of the Jungle last night...
>
> I rate it up there with commander keen and wolf3d.
>
>>VGA graphics, great sound effects, and a Sound Blaster-compatible musical
>>sound track. This immense game world, Volume I in the Jill series,
>>challenges both your mind and your arcade reflexes -- fun for the whole
>>family!
>>
> This game is COOL!!! I downloaded it from ftp.ulowell.edu (129.63.32.1)
> in msdos/Games/Epic/jill.zip. ( you may have seen the post in

The game does look like fun. And I have had no problems running
it with my 386-16, 1-meg RAM, BOCA VGA controller, DOS 5.0 system.

But I don't think that the game engine is up to the quality
of that used by Id Software (writers of Keen and Wolf). If you
try to move Jill a step or two then she often ends up hanging
in mid-air rather than completing the step. The movement distance
and speed of jumping with Jill is pretty constant, whereas both
show much more variation in Keen and Wolf (and are under control
by the player).

I rate Jill as being more like Crystal Caves or Secret Agent
in its arcade-game quality.

Ken Steele stee...@conrad.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University stee...@appstate.bitnet

Kevin Patt

Jun 24, 1992, 9:24:01 PM6/24/92
je...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Jeff Bangert) writes:

>In article <1992Jun23....@arizona.edu>, da...@evax2.engr.arizona.edu (Dave Pottinger) writes:

>My screen is OK, but after playing for a few minutes I get a hard
>lockup.
>386SX with 8 meg, Ethernet card, AppleTalk card, nothing else in
>memory.

Same here. My screen looks ok. However, from time to time I do get this bomb;
It goes something like :

Error code <1>.

I am to inform Mega Epic (sp?> about it. Besides that everything works
fine. I managed to play as far as level 11 (I think).

I have a 386DX-25 with 2Meg, Tseng Labs ET4000-1MB card, Future Domain SCSI
card with Syquest Removable HDs, 120MB HD ..

>Jeff Bangert je...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>Computer Center je...@ukanvax.bitnet
>University of Kansas
>Lawrence, KS 66045
>(913)864-0466

Kevin Patt Information Technology Institute
Associate Member of Technical Staff National Computer Board Building
Tel: (065) 772-0471 71 Science Park Drive

Andre Arianto Nurwono

Jun 25, 1992, 2:45:28 AM6/25/92
Does anybody w/ a Soundblaster ver 1 had any lockups lately ?
It seems the digitized sound driver also locks up this game
a lot on my machine.

And yes, it's a great game !

Robert W. Igo

Jun 26, 1992, 1:22:31 AM6/26/92
It was too easy, though. I finished in 2 hours. I also felt that the VGA
graphics weren't exploited as much as they should have been. Commander
Keen 4 looks a *lot* better in EGA than Jill did in VGA....hmm, that didn't
sound right. I mean Keen 4 filled the entire EGA potential, while Jill
filled only a fraction of the VGA potential. I *did* like it when Jill
looked down, though. ;)

[******************************** Bob Igo ********************************]
"Make it sew." --Captain Jean-Luc Picard | "I'm very dangerous when I don't
"It ACTUALLY worked...." | know what I'm doing...."
--Colin Baker as Dr. Who | --Tom Baker as Dr. Who
"Like I've always said: There's nothing an agnostic can't do if he really
doesn't know whether he believes in anything or not." --Monty Python
[************************** ri...@andrew.cmu.edu *************************]

Robert W. Igo

Jun 27, 1992, 2:44:04 AM6/27/92
That windy castle game thing was easy, too. "based heavily on Norse
mythology." (Wayne's world style 'yeah') It is Moria with graphics and
windows, people. But Moria is harder to solve. The odd thing is, they seem
to have good people working in certain areas, but whoever is in charge of
making it difficult is not doing their job. Apogee has nothing to fear yet.

Rick Saada

Jun 29, 1992, 8:16:13 PM6/29/92
Actually, Castle of the Winds was written by 1 guy, me (Epic just
handles the marketing), so I get all the credit/blame if you think
it's too easy. Getting the balance right for the game was difficult,
and I didn't expect that I'd please everybody. I did have a lot of
people play test it, and the general consensus was that the balance
was about right. A lot depends on how you play the game. If
you try to make it through without ever dying, it can be really
challenging. On the other hand you can make it easy by saving before
every encounter.
You can do the same think with the Apogee games by saving a lot,
that's up to you. The second game is quite a bit harder, as all the
monsters are tougher (devils, dragons, more undead, etc), and you have
to be more careful about running around blindly. I didn't want to make
the game so difficult that people without a ton of gaming experience
wouldn't know what to do with it.

While it's similar to Moria/Hack/Larn/Rogue in some ways (the movement
is grid based, the vi keys work, etc) it's a lot different in others.
The magic system is quite a bit more developed than any of the above,
I tried to do some basic animation (as much as you can do under windows),
and there is certainly more of a plot running behind the game.

I was trying to strike a balance between games like rogue, where there is
no plot at all and the game is completely random every time, and games
like Ultima, where there is a very strong plot, but the monsters are
in the same place very time you play, so you can really only play once.
On the other hand, as a single developer, it's a lot easier to create
a randomly generated kind of game than to hire a team of 30 artists to do
all your work for you!

Most of the comments I've gotten back have been to the effect that its
an addictive "light" adventure, not up to the level of the Origin games
or EOB (obviously), but something that's fun to play when you don't want
to immerse yourself in the game for weeks. I'd say that's a pretty fair
assessment. Besides, you can't toggle from EOB to Word or Excel when your
boss walks in :) .

If you want to send me mail about it, either bugs, suggestions, comments,
etc. please direct them to my Compuserve account 70702,3316 , rather than
to work, so Bill doesn't get pissed at me...

rick saada

BECKY LYNN CHAPMAN

Jul 2, 1992, 9:50:38 AM7/2/92

A friend at work let me make a copy of this game to try out and
it does have some very good features. I *like* being able to
play role-playing games in windows. I like being able to
drag the icon along a road at a decent speed, and the commands
and menus are pretty self explanatory.

But I do have a complaint, and this just struck a nerve, and it
isn't just this game.

******FLAME ON*********

Why is it that every female character must always, ALWAYS, **ALWAYS**
be portrayed with hardly any clothes on when the male characters
are always fully protected? In this game, I *know* one can
edit the character icons, but why must the scantily-clothed one
be the default. If I were really adventuring out to bash up on
monsters, I wouldn't be running around hoping the monster isn't
goint to slash me in my midriff.

And it's not just this game either -- this one just happened to strike
a nerve. But just being honest, it made me angry.

******FLAME OFF*********

Otherwise, I have no other major complaints about the game.
But please, game designers, use a little tact/reality in designing
your player characters. We females want to wear armor in battle
too.

Bekki Lyn

"All's well at the midnight hour; you're ready to fly
Don't think about the darkness, or the rumbling in the sky.
Somewhere on the morning road just waiting for you
Some things that just could never be are calling up a
spell so you can see..
Dream Evil, the dark that you find in the back of your mind
Dream Evil Dream Evil -- DIO --

Tom Koziatek

Jul 2, 1992, 12:04:04 PM7/2/92
In article <710085...@c00313-11pa.eos.ncsu.edu> blch...@c00313-11pa.eos.ncsu.edu (BECKY LYNN CHAPMAN) writes:

>******FLAME ON*********
>
>Why is it that every female character must always, ALWAYS, **ALWAYS**
>be portrayed with hardly any clothes on when the male characters
>are always fully protected? In this game, I *know* one can
>edit the character icons, but why must the scantily-clothed one
>be the default. If I were really adventuring out to bash up on
>monsters, I wouldn't be running around hoping the monster isn't
>goint to slash me in my midriff.
>
>Bekki Lyn

Well, if your sword breaks, you can take your top off and have an emergency
double barrelled sling. :{)

Actually, I somewhat agree. Probably this occurs because you are in a male
dominated area. But the female cover art on Curse of the Azure Bonds had a
fairly sexy armor outfit.

Death is the Ultimate Victor............
-Tom

Note : I don't care that my location shows .se, I'm in Dallas !!

Ira C. Smith

Jul 2, 1992, 1:44:31 PM7/2/92

I think the answer to this is quite frankly, sex sells. It's
unfortunate that these ideals pervert every aspect of our society,
even down to windows icons. This is indeed sad, but what Tom said
is true. Artist and Designers cater to thier primary market,
(i.e. males).

Bekkie Lyn. I kinda like that name.

BTW. To Tom,
Double barreled sling shot?????? Geez!!! :-)

-Chris

Nathaniel W Guyton

Jul 2, 1992, 1:32:28 PM7/2/92
In article <710085...@c00313-11pa.eos.ncsu.edu> blch...@c00313-11pa.eos.ncsu.edu (BECKY LYNN CHAPMAN) writes:

>A friend at work let me make a copy of this game to try out and
>it does have some very good features. I *like* being able to
>play role-playing games in windows. I like being able to
>drag the icon along a road at a decent speed, and the commands
>and menus are pretty self explanatory.

Me too. It's not a bad game.

>But I do have a complaint, and this just struck a nerve, and it
>isn't just this game.
>
>******FLAME ON*********
>
>Why is it that every female character must always, ALWAYS, **ALWAYS**
>be portrayed with hardly any clothes on when the male characters
>are always fully protected? In this game, I *know* one can
>edit the character icons, but why must the scantily-clothed one
>be the default. If I were really adventuring out to bash up on
>monsters, I wouldn't be running around hoping the monster isn't
>goint to slash me in my midriff.

This is because, as with most comic books nowadays, it seems, the program/
icon was written by a guy (I'm assuming). People will put in a game or
whatever what they like, and sometimes this will even be a subconscious
occurance. As you stated above, *Always* points to a stereotype, one
which is probably in the mind of most programmers these days. ie: the usual
superhero is a strong one, whether or not his or her "powers" are dependent
in such strength. Anyway, before the above incident changes too much, the
stereotype must change, and since, in my experience, primarily guys are more
into frpg and comic books, that will probably not happen too soon.

--
Nat Guyton -- n...@owlnet.rice.edu | Repeat 5 times: Computers are just a
Mech E/English/Premed 5yrs minimum | hobby, NOT a way of life.

Robert W. Igo

Jul 2, 1992, 4:36:27 PM7/2/92
Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.games: 2-Jul-92 Re: Castle of the
Winds BECKY LYNN CHAPMAN@c0031 (1643)

> ******FLAME ON*********

> Why is it that every female character must always, ALWAYS, **ALWAYS**
> be portrayed with hardly any clothes on when the male characters
> are always fully protected? In this game, I *know* one can
> edit the character icons, but why must the scantily-clothed one
> be the default. If I were really adventuring out to bash up on
> monsters, I wouldn't be running around hoping the monster isn't
> goint to slash me in my midriff.

> And it's not just this game either -- this one just happened to strike
> a nerve. But just being honest, it made me angry.

> ******FLAME OFF*********

Yeah, it's silly to assume an adventurer would be scantily-clad, but,
had you decided to play a male character, you'd see that he had no shirt
on. So, don't go screaming equal rights for icons just yet. I would
have preferred the icon to change along with armament of the character,
but that's just me.

Ben Goetter

Jul 2, 1992, 7:50:40 PM7/2/92
The honorable blch...@c00313-11pa.eos.ncsu.edu (BECKY LYNN CHAPMAN) writes:

| Why is it that every female character must always, ALWAYS, **ALWAYS**
| be portrayed with hardly any clothes on when the male characters
| are always fully protected? In this game, I *know* one can
| edit the character icons, but why must the scantily-clothed one
| be the default.

Good question. If you look at the male Castle character, though, you'll see
that he's wearing even fewer clothes than the female. Call it the "Frazetta
Standard." Impractical, I agree - what about spiders!? falling from the
ceiling, and Cohen the Boybarian wearing nothing but that bondage-video
leather harness of his, the better to display his lovely lats - but traditional.

I think those icons should have looked a bit more Viking: you know, Erik and
Brunnhilde instead of Conan and Red Sonja. But I always customize my icon
anyway....

--
Ben Goetter, be...@microsoft.com

Terry Henning

Jul 3, 1992, 11:41:09 AM7/3/92

I'll have to agree here. I played for about two hours and finished it also.
It does have it's good points - the sound is really cool, and I like using
the knife. When you throw the knife you can alter its trajectory by moving
Jill around. Also, when Jill turns into a firebird is cool.

Overall, I don't think you can compare it to Keen, but it has potential.
Just look at the first keen compared to the fourth.

kl...@vms.huji.ac.il

Jul 3, 1992, 7:13:55 AM7/3/92
In article <710085...@c00313-11pa.eos.ncsu.edu>, blch...@c00313-11pa.eos.ncsu.edu (BECKY LYNN CHAPMAN) writes:

> A friend at work let me make a copy of this game to try out and
> it does have some very good features. I *like* being able to
> play role-playing games in windows. I like being able to
> drag the icon along a road at a decent speed, and the commands
> and menus are pretty self explanatory.
>
> But I do have a complaint, and this just struck a nerve, and it
> isn't just this game.
>
> ******FLAME ON*********
>
> Why is it that every female character must always, ALWAYS, **ALWAYS**
> be portrayed with hardly any clothes on when the male characters
> are always fully protected? In this game, I *know* one can
> edit the character icons, but why must the scantily-clothed one
> be the default. If I were really adventuring out to bash up on
> monsters, I wouldn't be running around hoping the monster isn't
> goint to slash me in my midriff.
>
> And it's not just this game either -- this one just happened to strike
> a nerve. But just being honest, it made me angry.
>
> ******FLAME OFF*********

I'm not arguing with you, I would like to point out, however that the male Icon
is STARK NAKED! I sure as hell wouldn't like to go into combat like that.
(circumcision was bad enough the first time around ;-) )

- Michael

Daniel D. Miller

Jul 12, 1992, 12:59:27 AM7/12/92
I have a question for all you Castle of the Winds players
out there... does the shareware release REALLY end after
level 4 ??? Perhaps I've been spoiled by NETHACK/MORIA,
but four levels before running out hardly is enouggh for
me to determine whether I'm interested enough to buy the game....
Even Crystal Caves (Apogee software) had a dozen or two
levels before the shareware version was exhausted (BTW,
I _DID_ register Crystal Caves... it was a MONDO COOL game!!)...
or am I just doing something wrong and failing to find the
stairs to level 5??? I've restarted the game twice with
the same result, and have never gotten any further....

If that IS the end for the shareware release, just for my
curiousity, how many of you think that's too little to
examine before registering??? If you all (or many) think
I've got my tail between my legs, I'll leave it there
and retreat... 8-{)

the derelict

DAVID ANDREW BICE

Jul 12, 1992, 7:44:35 PM7/12/92

In article <bf!m#+a.der...@netcom.com>, dere...@netcom.com
(Daniel D. Miller) writes:

>I have a question for all you Castle of the Winds players
>out there... does the shareware release REALLY end after
>level 4 ??? Perhaps I've been spoiled by NETHACK/MORIA,
>but four levels before running out hardly is enouggh for
>me to determine whether I'm interested enough to buy the game....

[...]

>or am I just doing something wrong and failing to find the
>stairs to level 5??? I've restarted the game twice with
>the same result, and have never gotten any further....

I've finished the Castle of the Winds game, and I can tell you
that there are DEFINITELY more than 4 levels in the game! Right
now, you are probably a little less than 1/4 of the way through.

I'm not absolutely sure what your problem might be, but I'd guess
there might be some secret doors you haven't found on level 4.
key.

Overall, I thought the game was quite good, certainly the best
Windows game I've ever played, given the graphics limitations.
I'm sure it wouldn't compare to Ultima 7, but it's not a bad game
if you're stuck with a lowly 286/12MHz like myself. ;)

--
David Bice | "The Blue-white planet smiles upon you. The
dab...@eos.ncsu.edu | sun, it warms you and gleams. The two moons

Robert W. Igo

Jul 12, 1992, 11:25:38 PM7/12/92
I, too, thought that there was insufficient game to conclude that it was much
different than Moria with graphics. It had some nice features, but you really
couldn't get your character developed enough before it ended. Also, there was
waaay too much money to be found.

Ben Goetter

Jul 14, 1992, 11:54:11 AM7/14/92
In article <bf!m#+a.der...@netcom.com> dere...@netcom.com (Daniel D. Miller) writes:
| I have a question for all you Castle of the Winds players
| out there... does the shareware release REALLY end after
| level 4 ???

No; you have many levels remaining. Did you find anything unusual at
the bottom of level 4?
Say, a
[minute spoiler follows]

scrap of parchment? If so, take it back to the hamlet with you. If
not, get back down there and find it - it contains an essential clue -
before trekking back to the hamlet.

I agree, four levels would have been pretty stingy....

--
Ben Goetter, be...@microsoft.com

Rick Saada

Jul 14, 1992, 1:03:37 PM7/14/92
>I have a question for all you Castle of the Winds players
>out there... does the shareware release REALLY end after
>level 4 ???

Unlike Hack/Moria, there is more than one dungeon in Castle
of the Winds. There are only 4 levels in the mine, but that's
not the entire game. After you've cleared out the bottom of
the mine (and examined everything you've found), go back to town
and the story will continue. I certainly agree that 4 levels would
be a bit chincy for a shareware version, but there's another 10 or
11 to go, plus another village with better stuff in game 1.

Game 2 has a bigger town, 25 levels of dungeons, plus tons more
other stuff.

New monsters include: fire/cold/lightning/poison breathing dragons,
boulder lobbing giants, savage undead, wizards, necromancers,
elementals, devils, and animated statues.

There are more spells (including fireball, heal, transmogrify monster),
more enchanted objects (including some killer weapons) and other fun stuff.
It's also harder than the first game, as you have to be a lot more careful
about just running around blindly when there are dragons waiting to roast
you!

rick saada (author of castle).

Ross Ridge

Jul 14, 1992, 4:35:47 PM7/14/92
dere...@netcom.com (Daniel D. Miller) writes:
>I have a question for all you Castle of the Winds players
>out there... does the shareware release REALLY end after
>level 4 ???

No. First you need to find and read the scrap piece of parchment on
the 4th level. Then go back to the hamlet, which you'll discover has
been burned to the ground. You'll then be able to go to the fortress
which has many more levels.

Ross Ridge

--
Ross Ridge - The Great HTMU l/ //
[OO][oo]

Kate Wilson

Jul 15, 1992, 9:29:32 AM7/15/92
Where can I find the shareware version of this game? I checked ftp.ulowell.
edu but didn't see anything that sounded like it...