Strategic Sim City 2000 PROBLEMS

terry

Nov 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/20/95
Dave McIver (macg...@ihug.co.nz) wrote:
: Could someone out there please help me with the problems that I am having
: with this game.
: 1. How much is too much Industries?

Keep your industries=commercial. Keep (industries+commercial)=residential.

: 2. Is it possible to stay with a greater population than your neighbours?

Yes.

: 3. How?

Build your roads as a grid of 4x4 unit squares. Remember to keep the ratios
of industrial/commercial/residential to 1-1-2. Keep the industrial zones
away from the residential zones. For each 4x4 block you make residential,
make sure you put in 1 industrial and one commercial square. For every
block you make commercial, put in one industrial square. For every block
you make industrial, put in one commercial square. With this setup, you
dont need public transportation. It offers about the fastes growth and
great population density. I have had several cities with populations in
the millions this way. Also, always follow the messages that appear like
citizens demand fire protection etc.

: 4. What should your taxes etc in the budget be set at?

Until you build up tons of money, set the income tax to 7 or 8 percent.
Turn off all of the city service choices that cost money and turn on all
of the revenue generating options (like legalized gambling, parking
tickets, etc). After you are rich, reverse it (as long as you are still
making money) so you arent charging any of those taxes and you are
offering all of the city services possible. THis will attract a lot of
residents.

: 5. If the bars on the small coloured bar graph under the main buttons get
: into the "-" zone, what should be done

Make sure your overall balance of industrial-commercial-residential is 1-1-2.
If it isnt, begin demolishing whichever buildings are needed to maintain
that balance.

: 6. Should "Abandoned Buildings" be demolished?

Only if the break the 1-1-2 balance or are more than 3 squares from a
road and you cant reach the building with a road.

: 7. Any other hints on how to get a great city going

See everything above.

: 8. Who out there has got the largest population?

I have no idea. I have had one over 2 million.

-terry

Dave McIver

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
Could someone out there please help me with the problems that I am having
with this game.
1. How much is too much Industries?
2. Is it possible to stay with a greater population than your neighbours?
3. How?

4. What should your taxes etc in the budget be set at?
5. If the bars on the small coloured bar graph under the main buttons get
into the "-" zone, what should be done
6. Should "Abandoned Buildings" be demolished?
7. Any other hints on how to get a great city going
8. Who out there has got the largest population?
Thats all the questions for now...
Thanx in advance

Dave

PS. E-Mail if possible

Okie D. Okie

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95

Dave,

Answering all of your questions will take the fun out of playing Sim
City 2000. What you can do though is to set your speed to fastest,
unsubscribe from the newspapers, set your budget to auto, get your
city to where you are making money instead of losing, then you can
just keep your PC running. This will help you accumulate a lot of
money to where you can do a lot of things without having to worry
about going bankrupt.
I've got my city budget right now at $14 Billion and I've demolished 3
cities already, started from scratch with a lot of money, to do and
build whatever I want.
Good luck!

Doc

Jerry Moore

Nov 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/22/95
Dave McIver <macg...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>Could someone out there please help me with the problems that I am having
>with this game.
>1. How much is too much Industries?
When your city is small, a good ratio is 50% residential, 30%
industrial and 20% commercial. As the city grows past around
50,000, switch to 50% residential, 20% industrial and 30%
commercial. If you have placed a city hall, you can use the
query tool and analysis to check these numbers. Always watch
the demand indicator and only add more zones when the demand is
on the plus side

>2. Is it possible to stay with a greater population than your neighbours?
Absolutely. Your city population can exceed your neighbors by
a factor of ten.
>3. How?
Good city design, arcos and judicious use of the magic eraser.

>4. What should your taxes etc in the budget be set at?
8-9% when the city is small and you need the cash then keep
dropping the rate to the lowest that will still give you a
positive annual cash flow.

>5. If the bars on the small coloured bar graph under the main buttons get
> into the "-" zone, what should be done
Look for reasons why demand is dropping off by using the query
tool, reading the newspaper and checking with the mayor's
advisors. Crime, traffic, schools, power, etc?

>6. Should "Abandoned Buildings" be demolished?
Not necissarily. Find out what is wrong with your city that is
causing the buildings to be abandoned and then correct the
problem.

>7. Any other hints on how to get a great city going
Check out http://www/vcnet.com/simstuff.htm and the link at the
bottom to ClubOpolis

>8. Who out there has got the largest population?
Depends on the software version and if you used SCURK.
Population records range from 9.4 million to over 24 million
depending on the groundrules.

Philip Dearmore

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
I've been stuck at one part for a while now. I can't get any
of the doors in the nexus open, and I have the power back on, and
I've put all of the locks in the combination on the rod. I've even
pried the panel off with the tusk and run the power back in there.
Thanks for the help. Please reply by e-mail, I don't keep up with
these groups.
- Philip (mor...@eskimo.com)

Curt

Nov 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/25/95
In article <repomanD...@netcom.com>, rep...@netcom.com says...

>Build your roads as a grid of 4x4 unit squares. Remember to keep the ratios
>of industrial/commercial/residential to 1-1-2. Keep the industrial zones
>away from the residential zones. For each 4x4 block you make residential,
>make sure you put in 1 industrial and one commercial square. For every
>block you make commercial, put in one industrial square. For every block
>you make industrial, put in one commercial square. With this setup, you
>dont need public transportation. It offers about the fastes growth and
>great population density. I have had several cities with populations in
>the millions this way. Also, always follow the messages that appear like
>citizens demand fire protection etc.

actually that would mean that you have tons and tons of your city as roads
(useless roads I might add) The best is 6X6 squares. That is the largest you
can have where people still move in the middle. Or you can build them
larger and put a park or a lake in the middle, keeps the sims very happy!
The best design ive seen however is one road going in a spiral from the
center out. It was a city called Spiralopolis, made by someone else. Ive
never tried it but its pop. was like millions without a single archology

>Until you build up tons of money, set the income tax to 7 or 8 percent.
>Turn off all of the city service choices that cost money and turn on all
>of the revenue generating options (like legalized gambling, parking
>tickets, etc). After you are rich, reverse it (as long as you are still
>making money) so you arent charging any of those taxes and you are
>offering all of the city services possible. THis will attract a lot of
>residents.

i keep the revenue generating options on the whole game and people always
move in. I also keep the ones you pay for on except energy conservation and
volunteer fire dept. Most of the time its in negative numbers but towards
the end when my city takes up the whole square it goes into the plus.

Curt
d...@tiac.net

JML

Nov 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/28/95
Just use a hex editor and give yourself $1,000,000...
then you can do whatever you want and you will never run
out of money...

Todd Short

Nov 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/29/95
to macg...@ihug.co.nz
Dave McIver <macg...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>Could someone out there please help me with the problems that I am having
>with this game.
>1. How much is too much Industries?

As said else where, Industrial/Comercial/Residential should be kept to
a 1/1/2 ratio. When your city matures, you should be able to remove some
of the pollution-creating industrial, and replace them with comercial.

>2. Is it possible to stay with a greater population than your neighbours?

Yes.

>3. How?

Zone, Zone, Zone. Lower taxes, create programs people will like. Design
the city well.

>4. What should your taxes etc in the budget be set at?

You can set them at 0%, see below.

>5. If the bars on the small coloured bar graph under the main buttons get
> into the "-" zone, what should be done

Stop making zones of that type, and start to make zones of a different type.
Clicking on your Town Hall will tell you how your land is used.

>6. Should "Abandoned Buildings" be demolished?

Maybe, sometimes "abandoned buildings" are actually growing. If you have a lot
of abandoned buildings in an area, it's time for urban rejuvination: bulldoze!
Make it the kind of place someone would want to work or live.

>7. Any other hints on how to get a great city going

How to make lots, and lots and lots of money (with nothing down!).

This works in the DOS version, I'm not sure about the Windows version.

1. Type "FUND" while playing. You will be asked to take out a bond at 25%
interest. Accept it.
2. Type "FUND" again while playing. You will be asked to take out another
bond at 25% interest. Accept it.
3. Go to the advisors screen, and take out a bond the normal way. It will
give you a bogus interest rate of someting like ".%" (that's period-percent).
Accept it.
4. Pay off the first two bonds immediately after taking out the third bond.
5. Wait a year or so. You will have $2 BILLION at the end of the fiscal year.
And the money just keeps coming in. You can now set your taxes to 0% and
build away! You can be a capital in only a year or so!

>8. Who out there has got the largest population?

Can't remember the largest population: haven't played in a while.

--
-Todd Short
// tsh...@baynetworks.com

- N -

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
On Thu, 30 Nov 95 02:25:13 GMT, be...@accessnv.com (Ben Violette)
wrote:

>That's for cheaters. Build a simple city that is making money. Turn disasters
>off. And leave it running while you sleep (save first though). The people will
>whine and cry for new stuff but you'll keep making money all night and in the
>morning your city will be the same as you left it but have lots of cash. Not
>really a cheat since you could play without cheating all night just looking
>around your city and make the same amount.

Interesting idea.... but it will not work.

Your power planets will explode after a time, when they have reached
their lifespan.... and then the city dies.

Try just playing the game over and over till you get the hang of it.

How much fun is winning a game that you have to cheat to win...
...real lame approach to playing games.

- N -

Ben Violette

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95

terry

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
: wrote:

: Interesting idea.... but it will not work.

: Your power planets will explode after a time, when they have reached
: their lifespan.... and then the city dies.

That doesn't happen if you turn the disasters off. It will automatically
replace the powerplant.

: Try just playing the game over and over till you get the hang of it.

: How much fun is winning a game that you have to cheat to win...
: ...real lame approach to playing games.

Perhaps it would be a real lame approach to *life*, but the reson people
buy software (ESPECIALLY software like Maxis' where there is no real "win")
is to have fun. if you just want to build a big nice city and want lots
of money who's to say that it is lame? I would feel real sorry for a person
who sat their not having fun watching their city struggle when all they
really wanted to do was build up a big city and then watch it.

-terry

Chris Purdye

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95
- N - wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Nov 95 02:25:13 GMT, be...@accessnv.com (Ben Violette)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <49dufu$k...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, JML <jla...@vt.edu> wrote:
> >>Just use a hex editor and give yourself $1,000,000...
> >>then you can do whatever you want and you will never run
> >>out of money...
> >>
> >That's for cheaters. Build a simple city that is making money. Turn disasters
> >off. And leave it running while you sleep (save first though). The people will
> >whine and cry for new stuff but you'll keep making money all night and in the
> >morning your city will be the same as you left it but have lots of cash. Not
> >really a cheat since you could play without cheating all night just looking
> >around your city and make the same amount.
>
> Interesting idea.... but it will not work.
>
> Your power planets will explode after a time, when they have reached
> their lifespan.... and then the city dies.
> Power plants are automatically replaced when Disasters are turned off.

Chris Purdye

Ben Violette

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95

>>That's for cheaters. Build a simple city that is making money. Turn
disasters
>>off. And leave it running while you sleep (save first though). The people
will
>>whine and cry for new stuff but you'll keep making money all night and in
the
>>morning your city will be the same as you left it but have lots of cash. Not
>>really a cheat since you could play without cheating all night just looking
>>around your city and make the same amount.
>

>Interesting idea.... but it will not work.
>
>Your power planets will explode after a time, when they have reached
>their lifespan.... and then the city dies.

Actually when you turn disasters off and your powerplant dies the game will
build a new one of the same type and take the money out of your bank. I don't
consider this as cheating since you're just doing the same thing you could do
if you were sitting in front of the game all night and letting it make cash.
Nothing wrong with that. I've left it for a few hours before and let it make
cash. But not all night. I got the idea off of Maxis' home page.

-Ben

{<-><->}

Dec 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/2/95
Simon Cobcroft <sim...@hutch.com.au> wrote:

>You need to examine the Purple Rod - I can't remember where
>this is found but you should have it if you've done all of
>those things. It has the codes to the doors. Go to the door
>second to the right of the Column and enter that code.

>I bought the game today and have been playing it all day. I am
>currently at the Spire and was getting the mechanism in the
>lightbridge control box going when the program inexplicably
>crashed. Take note Lucasarts testers!
Whats the Code for the doors??

dsc...@alaska.net

Dec 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/5/95
OKAY--

After several hours of this seemingly easy game.... Anyways.
Purple rod is located in the ROOM know as "Nexus" or the room you
continue to walk in circles in. With all the doors. Should be right
next to the Power COLUMN, (Nicely carved patterns). And near the hole
in the floor. (Small, not like the ramp)

The codes are the size of objects on the rod. IE: Red Square, Blue
Circle, Green Triangle... whatever. Just make the door panel look
like the rod. And I believe the Purple rod only opens the door near
the ramp? Then go check out the neat little RIDE....

-Deric
mailto:dsc...@alaska.net

BTW> Anyone know how to get the SECOND Tram working?

>>You need to examine the Purple Rod - I can't remember where
>>this is found but you should have it if you've done all of
>>those things. It has the codes to the doors. Go to the door
>>second to the right of the Column and enter that code.

>Whats the Code for the doors??

Greg Gantzer

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95

> Your power planets will explode after a time, when they have reached
> their lifespan.... and then the city dies.
>
> Try just playing the game over and over till you get the hang of it.
>
> How much fun is winning a game that you have to cheat to win...
> ...real lame approach to playing games.

The easiest "legal" cheat is to take a city with hillsides (or build up
some hillsides), put water squares on the hillsides, and then build hydro
plants on those water squares for power. Hydro plants are cheap, they
NEVER blow up (you don't have to waste money out of your budget replacing
them), and you can build one at a time and have your power needs grow
along with your city. Hydro plants are the best way to power any city,
and help you save the cash you need to win.
_/_/_/_/_/ Greg Gantzer
_/ ggan...@en.com
_/ _/_/_/_/_/_/
_/ _/ _/
_/_/_/_/_/ _/_/
_/ _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/

Scott Rosendahl

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95
In article <49dufu$k...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, jla...@vt.edu says...

>Just use a hex editor and give yourself $1,000,000...
>then you can do whatever you want and you will never run
>out of money...

How do you get this "hex editor", and is this really for Sim City 2000?
Here is another question, do the Launch Arcos really launch?

Chris Williams

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95
Yes they do. It's kind of disappointing. No fancy animation or
anything. They disappear leaving behind residue. I filled up most of
the land with the Arcos before this happened.

In article <4a5psq$i...@news.coastnet.com>, farm...@coastnet.com says...

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.

calvez yann

Dec 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/7/95
Hi
does anyone has seen the end of simcity?
thanx

nelson jeffrey dale

Dec 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/8/95
yann...@ix.netcom.com(calvez yann ) writes:

There is no end. You set your own goals and when you achieve them, you're
done. That's when you "win".

Matt Anderson

Dec 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/9/95
>In article <4a5psq$i...@news.coastnet.com>, farm...@coastnet.com says...
>>
>>In article <49dufu$k...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, jla...@vt.edu says...
>>>
>>>Just use a hex editor and give yourself $1,000,000...
>>>then you can do whatever you want and you will never run
>>>out of money...
>>>
>>How do you get this "hex editor", and is this really for Sim City 2000?
>> Here is another question, do the Launch Arcos really launch?

There are many hex editors around, they are general use programs to modify
files in hexadecimal, I've used them many times to remove copy protection from
a game. You can find a hex editor from Games Domain at
http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/directd/pc/dos/tools/index.html and choose Hex
Editor. I don't know what offset it is to change the money (in fact I don't
even have SimCity 2000) so I can't help you there.

Andreas Asheim

Dec 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/9/95
to mand...@wyoming.com
with my editor-program I found a kind of cheat menu in SC 2000.
can u people tell me how to get the hand of it.
DucRic

Vlad the Impaler

Dec 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/9/95
farm...@coastnet.com (Scott Rosendahl) wrote:

-=>In article <49dufu$k...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>, jla...@vt.edu says...
-=>>
-=>>Just use a hex editor and give yourself $1,000,000...
-=>>then you can do whatever you want and you will never run
-=>>out of money...
-=>>
-=>How do you get this "hex editor", and is this really for Sim City 2000?
-=> Here is another question, do the Launch Arcos really launch?
you can find hex editors like this on the Maxis WWW page, if I'm not mistaken. And no, they don't
really launch

wyatt_earp

Dec 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/10/95

>yann...@ix.netcom.com(calvez yann ) writes:

Why does everybody look for the end, a way out. The only way out of
SimCity 2000 or any other Sim is to DIE!! Reaching goals does not
even end it, it should keep you going to stive for more excellence!

Jerry Moore

Dec 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/12/95
You can download ALL the Sim hex editors (SimCity 2000, SimCity
Classic, SimFarm, SimTower and SimIsle) from
http://www.vcnet.com/jmoore/simstuff.htm

You will also find a discussion about launch arcos on this page

ROGERN611

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
on aol if you go to file search and type in simcity 2000, there is an
editor that gives you over 842 million dollars.

Unregistered

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
to roge...@aol.com
a got one and a will give this one

cya

Unregistered

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
to roge...@aol.com

WJG

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
In article <ggantzer-061...@l2-9.en.net>,

ggan...@en.com (Greg Gantzer) wrote:

>> Your power planets will explode after a time, when they have reached
>> their lifespan.... and then the city dies.
>>
>> Try just playing the game over and over till you get the hang of it.
>>
>> How much fun is winning a game that you have to cheat to win...
>> ...real lame approach to playing games.
>

>The easiest "legal" cheat is to take a city with hillsides (or build up
>some hillsides), put water squares on the hillsides, and then build hydro
>plants on those water squares for power. Hydro plants are cheap, they
>NEVER blow up (you don't have to waste money out of your budget replacing
>them), and you can build one at a time and have your power needs grow
>along with your city. Hydro plants are the best way to power any city,
>and help you save the cash you need to win.

My instruction manual says that if the No Disasters option is set when the
power plant life-span ends, the plant will explode, otherwise, it will
harmlessly crumble.

Harry Healer

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96

I played and played, but never saw those UFO's that are on cover of
the game package.

Do they ever appeare ????

KILL

"Invincible, abashed the devil stood, and felt how awful goodness is."