HOMM3 - FIX THIS BUG ALREADY, NEW WORLD!!!

Snapster

Oct 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/6/99
Ok, this is about the third time I've left 3DO this bug report for HoMM3
since the day it first hit the shelves! I purchased the expansion pack, and
noticed this SIMPLY-FIXED bug is STILL in the game!

BUG:

The Berserk spell does NOT work against a hero that possesses the Badge of
Courage! The spell is SUPPOSED to work, since the badge only confers a
bonus to morale, NOT immunity to the Berserk spell!

PLEASE FIX THIS ANNOYING BUG!!!

(And if it's not a bug, please tell us and correct the description for the
Badge of Courage.)

- Dan

Gus Smedstad

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99

Snapster wrote:

> The Berserk spell does NOT work against a hero that possesses the Badge of
> Courage! The spell is SUPPOSED to work, since the badge only confers a
> bonus to morale, NOT immunity to the Berserk spell!
>
> PLEASE FIX THIS ANNOYING BUG!!!
>
> (And if it's not a bug, please tell us and correct the description for the
> Badge of Courage.)

It's not a bug. The Badge of Courage has an interesting history;
originally it made you immune to the Fear spell. The Fear spell, as you
may know, got dropped as being unbalancing. The Badge of Courage then
got changed to "+1 Morale and immunity to all Mind spells". Berserk is
a mind spell. Unfortunately, the help text wasn't updated.

- Gus

Bruno Wolff III

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
From article <37FCFA76...@nwcomputing.com>, by Gus Smedstad <g...@nwcomputing.com>:

> It's not a bug. The Badge of Courage has an interesting history;
> originally it made you immune to the Fear spell. The Fear spell, as you
> may know, got dropped as being unbalancing. The Badge of Courage then
> got changed to "+1 Morale and immunity to all Mind spells". Berserk is
> a mind spell. Unfortunately, the help text wasn't updated.

I have got to make a note of that. I had thought it was a pretty worthless
object. Now I will be a lot more likely to keep one active.

Christoph Nahr

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:54:30 -0700, Gus Smedstad <g...@nwcomputing.com>
wrote:

>It's not a bug. The Badge of Courage has an interesting history;
>originally it made you immune to the Fear spell. The Fear spell, as you
>may know, got dropped as being unbalancing. The Badge of Courage then
>got changed to "+1 Morale and immunity to all Mind spells". Berserk is
>a mind spell. Unfortunately, the help text wasn't updated.

Thanks for all the posts, I'll add it to my Manual Addenda page! :-)
--
Chris Nahr (christo...@uumail.xxde, remove xx to reply by e-mail)
Please reply either on Usenet or by e-mail but not both!

Snapster

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
Thank you very much for clarifying that, Gus! I appreciate it!

- Dan, who's always a stickler for details ;-)

Gus Smedstad <g...@nwcomputing.com> wrote in message

> It's not a bug. The Badge of Courage has an interesting history;
> originally it made you immune to the Fear spell. The Fear spell, as you
> may know, got dropped as being unbalancing. The Badge of Courage then
> got changed to "+1 Morale and immunity to all Mind spells". Berserk is
> a mind spell. Unfortunately, the help text wasn't updated.
>

> - Gus

Snapster

Oct 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/7/99
BTW, Gus...are there any other artifacts in the game that do not function as
indicated in their help text, or have undocumented functions?

Thanks!

- Dan

Gus Smedstad

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
Snapster wrote:

> BTW, Gus...are there any other artifacts in the game that do not function as
> indicated in their help text, or have undocumented functions?

No, but there are a creature special abilities that aren't well
understood, because the help text, while technically correct, doesn't
give enough detail.

Example: The behemoth special ability (massive defense skill reduction)
isn't cumulative. It only affects the damage calculation for the
behemoth's attack. The Rust Dragon attack, on the other hand, IS
cumulative, which is why it has a seperate animation.

- Gus

Christoph Nahr

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
On Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:32:34 -0700, Gus Smedstad <g...@nwcomputing.com>
wrote:

>Example: The behemoth special ability (massive defense skill reduction)

>isn't cumulative. It only affects the damage calculation for the
>behemoth's attack. The Rust Dragon attack, on the other hand, IS
>cumulative, which is why it has a seperate animation.

Keep talking, it all goes straight to my web site! :-)

Great work on the random map generator, btw. I wouldn't have thought
that balanced random maps were possible for a game such as Heroes that
heavily depends on resource locations. The halflings are cute, too!

Truthseel<er

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99
On Thu, 07 Oct 1999 12:54:30 -0700, Gus Smedstad <g...@nwcomputing.com> wrote
these exquisite 19 lines of text:
:===============:

>It's not a bug. The Badge of Courage has an interesting history;
>originally it made you immune to the Fear spell. The Fear spell, as you
>may know, got dropped as being unbalancing. The Badge of Courage then
>got changed to "+1 Morale and immunity to all Mind spells". Berserk is
>a mind spell. Unfortunately, the help text wasn't updated.

Wow, that makes that artifact incredibly powerful. I hope it was put in the
MAJOR artifact category instead of the same category as the other minor +1
morale only artifacts. Also, when you right-click on the Badge of Courage, does
it tell you that it gives immunity to all mind spells (like Blind, Hypnotize,
Forgetfulness, Berserk, and probably a number of others... anything that a Titan
is immune to I guess).

truthseeker