Sid Speaks

Jeff Vitous

Aug 11, 2002, 8:08:52 PM8/11/02
Make of this what you will:

Today Sid Meier addressed a crowd at GenCon with two questions:

"Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
"Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"

He then smiled and declined to comment, saying only that the big
announcement concerning their next project is probably at least a month away
(he told another writer that it might not be announced until PTW ships).

--
Jeff Vitous
Director, Special Project Development

Hank

Aug 11, 2002, 8:30:57 PM8/11/02
On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:08:52 -0500, "Jeff Vitous" <je...@wargamer.com>
wrote:

I was never a MoM guy ( though I did buy it, thus discovering
I was not a MoM guy ) ... but a new Pirates would be cool provided
it's not like that other sequel Firaxis did named ... well, no comment

Mike Webster

Aug 11, 2002, 8:34:47 PM8/11/02
On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:08:52 -0500, Jeff Vitous <je...@wargamer.com> wrote:
>Make of this what you will:
>
>Today Sid Meier addressed a crowd at GenCon with two questions:
>
>"Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
>"Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"
>
>He then smiled and declined to comment, saying only that the big
>announcement concerning their next project is probably at least a month away
>(he told another writer that it might not be announced until PTW ships).

I knew it!!! My lifelong fantasy will come to life!!!

Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!

A great new TBS based in the Caribbean during the 1500's disembarking from
the tired old historical-based treatment and given a hefty dose of fantasy!

Flying Galleons! Spell-slinging cannons!! Vorpal-blade wielding captains!!!
Mighty whirlpools and sea monsters to challenge you at sea!
Mystic shaman and chupacabra to thwart your overland marches!

I'm giddy just thinking about it ... :)

Mike

Fruitcake

Aug 11, 2002, 9:35:09 PM8/11/02
wrote:

>He then smiled and declined to comment, saying only that the big

>announcement concerning their next project is probably at least a month away
>(he told another writer that it might not be announced until PTW ships).

What a tease!

John Beaderstadt

Aug 12, 2002, 7:49:39 AM8/12/02
Mike Webster wrote:

>"Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
>"Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"

> I knew it!!! My lifelong fantasy will come to life!!!
>
> Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!

How do you know it's not a computerized "Peter Pan"?

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

--
Beady's Seventh Law of Social Harmonics: "Before you begin, pee."

Christoph Nahr

Aug 12, 2002, 9:44:12 AM8/12/02
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:49:39 GMT, John Beaderstadt
<be...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>How do you know it's not a computerized "Peter Pan"?

Or a game about one-eyed magical dinosaurs.
--
http://www.kynosarges.de

Game Player No. 1058

Aug 12, 2002, 9:52:11 AM8/12/02

"John Beaderstadt" <be...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Mike Webster wrote:
>
> >"Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
> >"Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"
>
> > I knew it!!! My lifelong fantasy will come to life!!!
> >
> > Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!
>
> How do you know it's not a computerized "Peter Pan"?
>
> Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Dont forget it's Sid Meiers, so it's got to be good and people will buy
*anything* that has Sid's name on it.
//*said tongue in cheek

Jeff Vitous

Aug 12, 2002, 10:23:32 AM8/12/02

"Christoph Nahr" <s...@reply-to.invalid> wrote in message

> Or a game about one-eyed magical dinosaurs.

Sure, the Cyclopsosaur theme has been very underdone recently.

I did ask what books he's been reading, but he wasn't specific. Perhaps
someone can hack into the Maryland library system and see if he's checked
out any encyclopspoedias recently?

John DiFool

Aug 12, 2002, 11:32:55 AM8/12/02
Mike Webster wrote:

All joking aside, that actually seems like it would be fun. At least it is
better
than the usual unimaginative preprocessed strategy product we have been
getting lately...

John DiFool

depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw-

Richard Hutnik

Aug 12, 2002, 11:40:42 AM8/12/02
"Jeff Vitous" <je...@wargamer.com> wrote in message news:<uldv6hb...@corp.supernews.com>...

> Make of this what you will:
>
> Today Sid Meier addressed a crowd at GenCon with two questions:
>
> "Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
> "Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"
>
> He then smiled and declined to comment, saying only that the big
> announcement concerning their next project is probably at least a month away
> (he told another writer that it might not be announced until PTW ships).

What if it actually TWO projects, sequels to both pirates and MoM?

I am wondering if they will use the "Bobblehead doll" style graphics
for the characters in either games that was prevalent in Civ3.

- Richard Hutnik :-)

jas...@spock.peak.org

Aug 12, 2002, 12:44:03 PM8/12/02
In article <3D57D5A7...@earthlink.net>,
John DiFool <jdi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Mike Webster wrote:
>> I knew it!!! My lifelong fantasy will come to life!!!
>>
>> Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!
>>
>> A great new TBS based in the Caribbean during the 1500's disembarking from
>> the tired old historical-based treatment and given a hefty dose of fantasy!
>>
>> Flying Galleons! Spell-slinging cannons!! Vorpal-blade wielding captains!!!
>> Mighty whirlpools and sea monsters to challenge you at sea!
>> Mystic shaman and chupacabra to thwart your overland marches!
>>
>> I'm giddy just thinking about it ... :)
>
> All joking aside, that actually seems like it would be fun. At least it is
>better
>than the usual unimaginative preprocessed strategy product we have been
>getting lately...

Set in a middle eastern theme, and call it Sinbad! Giant monsters, dastardly
wizards, sly viziers, and drunken crews. I'd buy that. :-)

-Jasper

Knight37

Aug 12, 2002, 12:52:37 PM8/12/02
It's elementary, my dear mdwn...@ntrnet.net (Mike Webster):

> I knew it!!! My lifelong fantasy will come to life!!!
>
> Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!
>
> A great new TBS based in the Caribbean during the 1500's disembarking
> from the tired old historical-based treatment and given a hefty dose
> of fantasy!
>
> Flying Galleons! Spell-slinging cannons!! Vorpal-blade wielding
> captains!!! Mighty whirlpools and sea monsters to challenge you at
> sea! Mystic shaman and chupacabra to thwart your overland marches!
>
> I'm giddy just thinking about it ... :)

Hey, I'd play it.

--

Knight37

Now you're standing there tongue tied
You'd better learn your lesson well
Hide what you have to hide
And tell what you have to tell
-- Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Jeff Vitous

Aug 12, 2002, 1:27:54 PM8/12/02
"Richard Hutnik" <richar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I am wondering if they will use the "Bobblehead doll" style graphics
> for the characters in either games that was prevalent in Civ3.

I now have this silly image in my brain of 2 bobble-head dolls sparring with
sabers. Then one of the heads comes off and goes rolling away.

Richard Hutnik

Aug 12, 2002, 8:44:15 PM8/12/02
"Jeff Vitous" <je...@wargamer.com> wrote in message news:<ulfs2pa...@corp.supernews.com>...

> "Richard Hutnik" <richar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > I am wondering if they will use the "Bobblehead doll" style graphics
> > for the characters in either games that was prevalent in Civ3.
> >

> I now have this silly image in my brain of 2 bobble-head dolls sparring with
> sabers. Then one of the heads comes off and goes rolling away.

Someone pass this onto Sid. Perhaps he could cross-merchandise the
new Pirates game with Hasbro, and they could do a Rockem-Saber Pirates
game.

- Richard Hutnik :-)

Fruitcake

Aug 12, 2002, 9:45:37 PM8/12/02
On 12 Aug 2002 17:44:15 -0700, richar...@hotmail.com (Richard
Hutnik) wrote:

>Someone pass this onto Sid. Perhaps he could cross-merchandise the
>new Pirates game with Hasbro, and they could do a Rockem-Saber Pirates
>game.

Hey! He chopped my block off!

(Are we showing our age here?)

Mike Webster

Aug 12, 2002, 10:27:17 PM8/12/02
On 12 Aug 2002 16:52:37 GMT, Knight37 <knig...@email.com> wrote:
>It's elementary, my dear mdwn...@ntrnet.net (Mike Webster):
>
>> I knew it!!! My lifelong fantasy will come to life!!!
>>
>> Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!
>>
>> A great new TBS based in the Caribbean during the 1500's disembarking
>> from the tired old historical-based treatment and given a hefty dose
>> of fantasy!
>>
>> Flying Galleons! Spell-slinging cannons!! Vorpal-blade wielding
>> captains!!! Mighty whirlpools and sea monsters to challenge you at
>> sea! Mystic shaman and chupacabra to thwart your overland marches!
>>
>> I'm giddy just thinking about it ... :)
>
>Hey, I'd play it.

I knew it, I should have been a game designer ... :)

Mike

Jeff Vitous

Aug 12, 2002, 11:53:40 PM8/12/02
"Fruitcake" <ad...@metatus.com> wrote in message

> >Someone pass this onto Sid. Perhaps he could cross-merchandise the
> >new Pirates game with Hasbro, and they could do a Rockem-Saber Pirates
> >game.
>
> Hey! He chopped my block off!
>
> (Are we showing our age here?)

Well, Mattel owns the Rockem Sockem Robots franchise, so that isn't likely
to happen. They actually released a console game on it a few years ago,
produced by a former wargame designer filched from SSI while they all shared
the same roof (he seemed as if he wanted to punch himself when we talked to
him about the current affairs).

Actually, I could do with a simple shooter where you blast the hell out of
those bobble-head abominations.

Joe Marques

Aug 13, 2002, 12:27:28 AM8/13/02
"Mike Webster" <mdwn...@ntrnet.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 19:08:52 -0500, Jeff Vitous <je...@wargamer.com> wrote:
> >Make of this what you will:
> >
> >Today Sid Meier addressed a crowd at GenCon with two questions:
> >
> >"Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
> >"Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"
> >
> >He then smiled and declined to comment, saying only that the big
> >announcement concerning their next project is probably at least a month
away
> >(he told another writer that it might not be announced until PTW ships).
>
> I knew it!!! My lifelong fantasy will come to life!!!
>
> Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!

How about this for a title: Pirates of Prestidigitation. ;0)

--
Joe Marques

Fruitcake

Aug 13, 2002, 12:53:35 AM8/13/02
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:53:40 -0500, "Jeff Vitous" <je...@wargamer.com>
wrote:

>Actually, I could do with a simple shooter where you blast the hell out of
>those bobble-head abominations.

This sounds like a job for Croteam.

Richard Hutnik

Aug 13, 2002, 9:16:55 AM8/13/02
Fruitcake <ad...@metatus.com> wrote in message news:<vc4hlu0527rq6lm6v...@4ax.com>...

And we finally learn a the true identity of the Mental(s?). They are
a bunch of bobble-head abominations.

- Richard

Knight37

Aug 13, 2002, 11:51:19 AM8/13/02

I meant I would play it if Sid made it. ;p

--

Knight37

Things could be so different now
It used to be so civilised
You will always wonder how
It could have been if you'd only lied

James Dusek

Aug 13, 2002, 4:48:10 PM8/13/02
In article <slrnale0r8.p...@shell.ntrnet.net>,
mdwn...@ntrnet.net says...

> Masters of Magic Pirates!!!!
>
> A great new TBS based in the Caribbean during the 1500's disembarking from
> the tired old historical-based treatment and given a hefty dose of fantasy!

RTS not TB.

James Dusek

Mike Webster

Aug 13, 2002, 5:00:56 PM8/13/02

Hey, it's my fantasy game design, not yours!!! ;)

Anyway, I figure it needed a bit more of a MOM splash than just being magic'y ... :)

Maybe we could compromise with a turn-based strategic layer linked to a real-time
tactical layer for the combat? :)

Mike

Hartmut Schmider

Aug 15, 2002, 4:16:43 PM8/15/02
Knight37 <knig...@email.com> writes:

> Hey, I'd play it.

No! You don't say!

--
Hartmut Schmider | Morality is a venereal disease.
Queen's University | Its primary stage is called virtue;

Knight37

Aug 15, 2002, 5:49:47 PM8/15/02
It's elementary, my dear Hartmut Schmider <h...@post.queensu.ca>:

> Knight37 <knig...@email.com> writes:
>
>> Hey, I'd play it.
>
> No! You don't say!

Hey, I won't play just any old Sid Meiers game. I gave that golf game a
skip. Oh, and I haven't gotten Civ3 yet either.

--

Knight37

"I-I-I just, uh, I just uh, wanted to use the uh, heh, ah-AND SO HE SAYS,
EVIL'S OKAY IN MY BOOK, WHAT ABOUT YOURS? AND I GO YEAH BABY YEAH! YEAH!
I... I... uh, just wanted to, uh, wash my hands."
-- The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight, The Tick

Olaf

Aug 19, 2002, 6:39:40 PM8/19/02
"Jeff Vitous" <je...@wargamer.com> wrote in message

> Make of this what you will:
>
> Today Sid Meier addressed a crowd at GenCon with two questions:
>
> "Does anyone here like Pirates!?"
> "Does anyone here like Masters of Magic?"
>
> He then smiled and declined to comment, saying only that the big
> announcement concerning their next project is probably at least a
month away
> (he told another writer that it might not be announced until PTW
ships).

Wow, two awesome games right there. I am not sure how a game trying to
fuse them together would play, however.

olaf

Jeff Vitous

Aug 19, 2002, 8:03:44 PM8/19/02
I'm fairly certain individual followups would be the result (assuming they
are indeed being considered, and Sid wasn't just yanking our chains). The
scales of the two games aren't exactly conducive to fusion, much less the
subject matters.

--
Jeff Vitous
Director, Special Project Development
The Wargamer
www.wargamer.com

"Olaf" <ola...@swbell.net> wrote in message

zParticle

Aug 20, 2002, 5:16:14 AM8/20/02
mdwn...@ntrnet.net (Mike Webster) wrote:
>>> A great new TBS based in the Caribbean during the 1500's disembarking from
>>> the tired old historical-based treatment and given a hefty dose of fantasy!

Cool. I liked Jasper's spin on this... go with an Arabian Nights
theme. Still high fantasy, but at least the human units don't have
that annoying English accent. ;)

>Maybe we could compromise with a turn-based strategic layer linked to a real-time
>tactical layer for the combat? :)

You know... that's brilliant. Shades of Archon. I think I could get
into that.

zParticle