X-com Collectors Edition?

Mike Berdos

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99
I see EB has this listed for November. I wonder what's in it, everything?
It would be very nice if they made Xcom1 and TFTD run ok on modern
computers.

And maybe fix the damn 'Base wall' bug.....

Anyone know anything about this?

-MB

Gary White

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
to Mike Berdos
Base wall problem was "fixed" with Xcomutil. The only speed problem I
have with a 400MHz PII is when I spin the globe. I just use the "center
on" button for UFO's.

--
Gary White
Lansing, Michigan, USA

mailto:garywh...@att.net
ICQ# 575452

Tim

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Mike Berdos <ber...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I see EB has this listed for November. I wonder what's in it, everything?
> It would be very nice if they made Xcom1 and TFTD run ok on modern
> computers.
> And maybe fix the damn 'Base wall' bug.....
> Anyone know anything about this?

"Our studio just
finished up a conversion of the first two games to Windows 95/98 (solved all
the timing problems, installation quirks, etc.), and we got to examine them
closely. Oh yeah...I guess this is the first you've heard of that. We will
be releasing the X-COM Collector's Edition box set (UFO, TFTD, and
Apocalypse in one box) next month. I think it's being released world-wide,
but I'm not positive."

I pulled that off the alt.xcom ng. That was up yesterday. Supposedly some
(but *not* all) of the "nuisance" bugs got fixed. AFAIK, there isn't a
specific list of which ones were addressed. I do know that someone's said
that the XCommand web site posted that *all* bugs were fixed, but that
someone posted on alt.xcom that they were wrong and only "some" were.

Here's to X-Com--may it be followed by a conversion of MoM!!!!

owcoin

Detonate

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Mike wrote

> I see EB has this listed for November. I wonder what's in it, everything?
> It would be very nice if they made Xcom1 and TFTD run ok on modern
> computers.

UFO & TFTD converted to win 9x

Some bug fixes, but don't know the extent - read that to mean the most
obvious ones...

Enquiries should be sent to;

inter...@microprose.com

See what happens.

Hth

Detonate

Istvan

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99

> Detonate wrote:

> > UFO & TFTD converted to win 9x
> >
> > Some bug fixes, but don't know the extent - read that to mean the
> > most obvious ones...

Either way, X-COM UFO is waaaay up there in longevity. It regularly
sells on Ebay for about $7-$10 + shipping. (About 10 per week for
the past 3 years, hey! that's almost as much as <insert you favorite
sleeper hit here> sold) Never seen a game of it's age to do that.
The playstation version goes for $50! Geez.

Regarding the collectors edition I think we're in for some surprise,
probably some enchanced graphics, and if so just let me know where
to sign up...

Istvan.

Mike Berdos

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Jeez, if it were 640x480 I'd have died and gone to heaven.

I still think TFTD is the dumbest game ever made (how far CAN you throw a
grenade underwater?) but the original is Magic.

-MB

Istvan <ial...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Detonate

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
Istvan wrote

> Regarding the collectors edition I think we're in for some surprise,
> probably some enchanced graphics, and if so just let me know where
> to sign up...

From what I've been told by Dave Ellis, I feel the surprise you'll get is
that there are minimal patches to the games; they were basically converted
to win 9x, and some of the most glaring bugs patched [UFO &TFTD, not Apoc
obviously, cos it already runs under win].

Maybe things will change, but it seems odd to go to the trouble of
converting the originals without fixing the bugs;

"I can pretty much guarantee that there will be no patches unless a problem
is SPECIFICALLY Windows related. (Really--the only thing we did was the
conversion. Aside from the difficulty thing, we touched NOTHING--and the
original programmers on those games, the ones that actually know the code
and COULD probably fix the ancienet bugs, are long gone.)"

and further comments;

">And the Tasoth Commander bug?

>Or the reversed scout/small scout crew bug?

>Or....

Hey, now! We were only doing the Win 9x conversion, and our original game
plan said "no bug fixes on original game play". I brought up the save bug,
and it was easy to fix. A couple of other small things were fixed here and
there, but we didn't have access to the original bug lists. Therefore, stuff
like this probably fell through the cracks."

Hmm.

We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Det.

Mike Berdos

Sep 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/25/99
If they haven't fixed the 'base wall' bug and the 'alien commander bug' they
should hang their miserable heads in shame. It is infuriating as hell to
play a game for 40 hours and have that all thrown away because you a) can
NEVER get the alien commanders back which is necessary to win the game, or
b) you loose a base because of the base-wall problem.

These are NOT minor bugs. I'd love to replay this classic game, but if they
left in the classic bugs, well, forget it.

-MB

Detonate <deto...@NOSPAMdetonate.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Marcin Nowak

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
"Mike Berdos" <ber...@mindspring.com> writes:
> If they haven't fixed the 'base wall' bug and the 'alien commander bug' they
> should hang their miserable heads in shame.

What are these bugs? Please enlighten.

Marcin

Scott T Jones

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99

The "base wall" bug was one where part of your base is blocked in when you are
attacked by aliens. If you were lucky, you could burn your way through with
heavy weapons. If not, you had to lose the base. However, that bug is fixed
by my XCOMUTIL. As for the "alien commander" bug, I thought that was fixed
with one of MicroProse's patches. That was where you could capture one but he
either died or disappeared on the way back to your base.
You can get XCOMUTIL from my web page, below. Version 7.2 will probably be
released on Monday.
-------------------------------
Scott T Jones
Author of XCOMUTIL (current version 7.1)
Author of APOCUTIL (current version 1.0)
-------------------------------
http://members.aol.com/stjones/xcomutil/

Marcin Nowak

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99

Thanks Scott. I never had the base wall bug, although in the 1.0
version I often had some other nasty bugs when attacking alien bases.
As for the disappearing captives, I thought it was because there was
another bug that the researched specimens would not free the alien
containment and it would get full. I usually build another one then and it
would help. (But that is just my interpretation).

Marcin

Mike Berdos

Sep 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/30/99
I just hit your page and read the docs no xcomutil. I am very impressed. I
wouldn't want to mess around with this kinda stuff with old dos games
especially ones that need to be slowed down.

But with the win9/* version, I'm on board in a minute. 11/4, huh? I'll
have the Northgate EB hold one for me!

Oh, and the next time I buy something at Amazon, I'll be sure to link to it
thru your page.

-MB