Gender Wars Demo: CDROM Installed?

Two Legs

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

Hey Kids,

I've installed the Gender Wars demo. Here's the problem: whenever
I start the game up I'm informed that the CD Rom isn't installed. The
game then defaults back to the C:.

Any advice from the pros out there?

Thanks

Two Legs

Chris Kintz

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

On Mon, 24 Jun 1996 00:27:38 GMT, Pica...@Worldnet.ATT.Net (Two
Legs) wrote:

>Hey Kids,
>
> I've installed the Gender Wars demo. Here's the problem: whenever
>I start the game up I'm informed that the CD Rom isn't installed. The
>game then defaults back to the C:.

I've had the same problem. E-mail sent to the folks who made the demo
went un-answered.

Oh well.. looked like an interesting game. Too bad I won't be buying
it.

-Chris

Christopher Kintz (cki...@aloha.com) (http://www.aloha.com/~ckintz)
Orbital Death Ray Strike Coordinates - Lat:21.343N, Lng:157.908W, Hgt:167ft.

ADVERTISEMENT: Use Chris' Email Archiving Service! Any unsolicited
commercial email sent to 'cki...@aloha.com' will be put into storage
on my hard-drive. Fulfill all of your storage needs! A charge of
$200 will be charged for every 5k stored. I accept VISA, MASTERCARD,
CHECK, and MONEY ORDERS. By sending me commercial email, you
signal understanding and acceptance of these terms.

Glenn Jones

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96

Chris Kintz wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 1996 00:27:38 GMT, Pica...@Worldnet.ATT.Net (Two
> Legs) wrote:
>
> >Hey Kids,
> >
> > I've installed the Gender Wars demo. Here's the problem: whenever
> >I start the game up I'm informed that the CD Rom isn't installed. The
> >game then defaults back to the C:.
>
> I've had the same problem. E-mail sent to the folks who made the demo
> went un-answered.
>
> Oh well.. looked like an interesting game. Too bad I won't be buying
> it.
>
> -Chris

Where do you find the Gender Wars demo? I could not find it on SCI's web
site.

Thanks,
Glenn Jones
gjone...@mail.unch.unc.edu

Rob McKnight

Jun 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/25/96
to Two Legs

> I've installed the Gender Wars demo. Here's the problem: whenever
> I start the game up I'm informed that the CD Rom isn't installed. The
> game then defaults back to the C:.

I asked the company tech reps about this over email, and the answer was that
demo was not supposed to be released onto the net, it is for demo CD's only
(CGW, etc.) and there was nothing one could do to get it to run. He asked
for my address and promised to mail me a CD, so you can try that.

Rob McKnight

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

In article <31D00B...@mail.unch.unc.edu>, Glenn Jones <gjone...@mail.unch.unc.edu> wrote:

>> > I've installed the Gender Wars demo. Here's the problem: whenever
>> >I start the game up I'm informed that the CD Rom isn't installed. The
>> >game then defaults back to the C:.
>>

>> I've had the same problem. E-mail sent to the folks who made the demo
>> went un-answered.

>Where do you find the Gender Wars demo? I could not find it on SCI's web
>site.

You haven't been paying attention :-)

The Gender Wars demo that could be found on several of the game demo web pages
was not intended to be uploaded anywhere. It WILL NOT RUN, because the
executable looks for the CDROM. When it doesn't find it, it quits.

I did have a conversation with the company about it via email, and they say
they can't do anything about it, and offered to send me a CD.

Rob McKnight

Matthias Rauhut

Jun 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/26/96

In article <4qq2c0$s...@doc.zippo.com>, mckn...@pacific.net.sg (Rob

McKnight) writes:

>The Gender Wars demo that could be found on several of the game demo web
>pages
>was not intended to be uploaded anywhere. It WILL NOT RUN, because the
>executable looks for the CDROM. When it doesn't find it, it quits.
>
>I did have a conversation with the company about it via email, and they
>say
>they can't do anything about it, and offered to send me a CD.

Just for those who want more info on Gender wars:
their webpage is http://www.sci.co.uk
Visit it and vote for the males! We will win the war! :)
I'm interested in a CD as well. I saw the demo on last years ECTS and it
was
totally cool.
Matthias
--