Medieval 2 Total War - Dang Timurids!

Sheldon England

Mar 26, 2008, 2:56:09 PM3/26/08
Hi everybody!

<rant>

Good lord, these Timurids are truly men of steel.

My campaign was going well as England. All the lands west of Poland are
English -- only Rome remains untouched as a courtesy. North Africa is
English all the way to Alexandria. I've been nestled in Jerusalem since
the first crusade and now control most of Turkey as I continue my
eastern advance. All the oceans and seas have been English for many
years. The Mongols have come, trashed the Egyptians but were no match
for my armies and have been eroded to just a half dozen territories. I
have just discovered a new world to the west.

I have 'won' but want to complete the victory by taking every region.
I'm stubborn that way.

Then the Timurids arrive from Asia. A little party of ten or so armies
wandered across Baghdad and made their way to the Mediterranean without
bothering to attack any of the Mongols or Egyptians they passed. They
reach the coast and take Antioch from me and, dang, they are truly
invincible. I have a stream of 'modern' armies flowing into the region
across the Mediterranean but they seem useless. Somehow ALL Timurid
armies get to join in each battle and five-to-one odds with my 5 star
general against their 7 star leader are futile. Massive casualties.

After four years of fighting, the Timurids have decimated my forces and
heretics abound in the middle east. The second crusade is not coming
together and my men are all deserting. No exaggeration, I have now lost
20+ full-strength armies to these guys and reduced them to three
indestructible armies. They clearly have laser guided gauss weapons or
something. My experienced assassins have turned into kittens or
something. I am inclined to just encircle their one territory and wait
until their leader dies of old age or something. More armies are
streaming in but they all lack experience.

Why don't the Timurids rule the world if they were so damn potent?

</rant>

Every time I end the session I cuss and swear that I'll just start over
... but now it's personal and I'm gonna grind their Timurid bones to
dust!

- Sheldon

MJB

Mar 26, 2008, 4:03:19 PM3/26/08

"Sheldon England" <sheldon...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Why don't the Timurids rule the world if they were so damn potent?

Because even Timur couldn't conquer death? If I recall correctly, he was
planning his campaign against China when he died of the plague shortly after
defeating the Ottomans and executing Bayazid? And his sons could only
manage to run the Mogul empire and the Persian empire he had conquererd?

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

Sheldon England

Mar 26, 2008, 7:18:37 PM3/26/08
MJB wrote:

> Sheldon England wrote:
> >
> > Why don't the Timurids rule the world if they were so
> > damn potent?
>
> Because even Timur couldn't conquer death? If I recall
> correctly, he was planning his campaign against China
> when he died of the plague shortly after defeating the
> Ottomans and executing Bayazid?

The plague has already come and gone ... but what you write makes it
seem like my cunning plan of just waiting until the leader dies may
actually be a good strategy. :)

- Sheldon, shaking his fist at Timur!

MJB

Mar 26, 2008, 7:43:34 PM3/26/08

> The plague has already come and gone ... but what you write makes it
> seem like my cunning plan of just waiting until the leader dies may
> actually be a good strategy. :)

In Timur's case, it was the only actual strategy that ever worked - I have
little doubt that if had lived, China would have suffered the same fate as
Persia, India and present-day Afganistan. And his direct decendants ruled
the Mogul Empire of India up until the middle of the 19th century.

> - Sheldon, shaking his fist at Timur!

Better a poisoned crossbow quarrel! Or a circassian slave girl with a fatal
veneral disease...

Zank Frappa

Mar 30, 2008, 11:17:46 AM3/30/08
"MJB" wrote

> "Sheldon England"

>> The plague has already come and gone ... but what you write makes
>> it seem like my cunning plan of just waiting until the leader dies may
>> actually be a good strategy. :)
>
> In Timur's case, it was the only actual strategy that ever worked - I
> have little doubt that if had lived, China would have suffered the same
> fate as Persia, India and present-day Afganistan. And his direct
> decendants ruled the Mogul Empire of India up until the middle of the 19th
> century.

"When Timur conquered Persia, Iraq and Syria, the civilian population was
decimated. In the city of Isfahan, he ordered the building of a pyramid of
70,000 human skulls, from those that his army had beheaded, and a pyramid of
some 20,000 skulls was erected outside of Aleppo. Timur herded thousands of
citizens of Damascus into the Cathedral Mosque before setting it aflame, and
had 70,000 people beheaded in Tikrit and 90,000 more in Baghdad. As many as
17 million people may have died from his conquests."

Be afwaid, be vewy afwaid :)

Sheldon England

Apr 1, 2008, 6:40:44 PM4/1/08

Egad. I will have to do some reading on this fellow. Regret I knew
nothing of the Timurids until they attacked me in the campaign game.
(Shame on me.)

In any case, last Sunday my king drank his wine from Tumur's skull.

I beat down on all Tiumr's forces with repetative battles that
eventually wore him down to just three small but potent armies (leader
and two sons) each with less than 100 men and elephants. Then my king
plus two carefully built armies (all over 1000 men and horses) took them
each on, in turn. In the battle screen I hunted down my foes one by one
until they were no more.

With the Timurids gone and many armies in the region, Egypt fell next,
then the last of the Mongols was killed and I called the game there.

Take that, Timur!

- Sheldon

MJB

Apr 1, 2008, 11:22:52 PM4/1/08

> Zank Frappa wrote:
>
> Egad. I will have to do some reading on this fellow. Regret I knew
> nothing of the Timurids until they attacked me in the campaign game.
> (Shame on me.)

He had a lot of names - Timur the lame, Tamberlane, Tamur the great. The
empire he conqurered and leaders he over-threw were notables themselves. He
did pretty well for a Turcic-Mongol warlord.

> In any case, last Sunday my king drank his wine from Tumur's skull.

A lot of names indeed...

> I beat down on all Tiumr's forces with repetative battles that
> eventually wore him down to just three small but potent armies (leader
> and two sons) each with less than 100 men and elephants. Then my king
> plus two carefully built armies (all over 1000 men and horses) took them
> each on, in turn. In the battle screen I hunted down my foes one by one
> until they were no more.

Sounds like you learned to use mongol tactics on the mongols.

> With the Timurids gone and many armies in the region, Egypt fell next,
> then the last of the Mongols was killed and I called the game there.

Rule Britannia!

> Take that, Timur!

The only good mongol is dead mongol.

Abdussalom Muhiddinov

Jan 29, 2024, 9:11:29 PMJan 29
Well they did demolish many united Christian Ottoman Egyption coalitions so...yea quite ruthless.