CGW and CD-ROM's

'Fulcrum' PJ Ocampo

Aug 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/28/95

Did anybody else read Johhny L. Wilson's editorial in the September
issue (please, I've read the flame wars so let's keep jaybird,
Emrich, and Co. out of this thread).

A few snippets...

"We want our readers, both on the newstand and when you subscribe,
to be able (to)* have that same opportunity."

* I had to add that "to", horrible copy editing, I write for a daily
newspaper and have some friends CGW could hire about this.

Anyways...

"We're working on ways to provide the same enchanced CD to subscribers"

Acht mein Lieber! Has CGW seen the light??? I may just renew my
subscription after all. I let it expire after the CD-ROM debacle
earlier this year. I've been happily shelling out cash at the newstand
for CGW and getting the disk instead. But now...

Philip Jason Ocampo
University of Washington

Old Salt

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
Jay...@en.com wrote:
>Hmmm...you talking about Sept.1995 issue #134? All I see is
>a "Truth in Labeling" editorial. Oh, and far as the
>"same opportunity" goes, subscribers will be paying more
>for those CD's just like the newstand buyers. Newstand
>buyers are now paying $4.95 for CGW instead of $3.95...which
>is quite odd, since that Sept CD says its a "free CD".

Yes and for this reason I will never buy a CGW mag again. I long ago drop
there subscription, now I will no longer get it from the newsstand.

___ ___
| | | |
______ ______ | | | | ______
=====[______] =====[______] | | | | [______]======
****************old-...@li.net**************************************
*"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" as sung by *
* But even if I am unskilled in speech, J. Joplin *
* I am not in knowledge....... 2 Co 11:6 *
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
><Canter & Siegel the Bottom feeders of "Green Card" spammers>

Jay...@en.com

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
old-...@li.net (Old Salt) wrote:

> Yes and for this reason I will never buy a CGW mag again. I long ago drop
>there subscription, now I will no longer get it from the newsstand.
>

> ___ ___
> | | | |
> ______ ______ | | | | ______
> =====[______] =====[______] | | | | [______]======
>****************old-...@li.net**************************************

Say, you the same "old salt" who used to be on Genie? If so, a big
hello!! Just like CGW, your not missing much either on Genie...dead as
a doorknob there.

Jay...@en.com

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
'Fulcrum' PJ Ocampo <ful...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>Did anybody else read Johhny L. Wilson's editorial in the September
>issue (please, I've read the flame wars so let's keep jaybird,
>Emrich, and Co. out of this thread).
>
>A few snippets...
>
>"We want our readers, both on the newstand and when you subscribe,
>to be able (to)* have that same opportunity."
>
>* I had to add that "to", horrible copy editing, I write for a daily
>newspaper and have some friends CGW could hire about this.

MSU Corey

Aug 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/29/95
CGW isn't the only mag that uses the phrase "free CD". It's common
practice that a mag comes with a CD and mysteriously costs one or two
bucks more that month.

Robert v Luthardt jr

Aug 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/30/95

Can you _read_?

>'Fulcrum' PJ Ocampo <ful...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Did anybody else read Johhny L. Wilson's editorial in the September
>>issue (please, I've read the flame wars so let's keep jaybird,
>>Emrich, and Co. out of this thread).

Did you _miss_ that part?

Robert v Luthardt jr*luth...@clark.net*http://www.clark.net/pub/luthardt
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation
has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more
efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler,passing of the German Weapons Act, 1935.

Jay...@en.com

Aug 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/31/95
luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr) wrote:

>Can you _read_?

>Did you _miss_ that part?

Yeah, I can read, So what?, its a free country last time I checked,
so KISS OFF!

JEFF LACKEY

Sep 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/3/95
JD>Yeah, I can read, So what?, its a free country last time I checked,
>so KISS OFF!

I've got to tell ya, even if you have any legitimate points to make,
your on-line demeanor comes across like some of the kids on-line. All
of the comments like the one above, the highly emotive insults to
everyone associated with CGW, the "yah yah" comments. It would be a
lot easier to take your side of the issues seriously if your post were
a bit more calm and adult in nature. As it is, you really are losing
credibility with your over the top flames, you sound like the many kids
that run around the various newsgroups flaming everyone in sight.

-+jeff+-

* 1st 2.00 #8118 * I came close to seeing Elvis once but I broke my shovel

Jay...@en.com

Sep 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/5/95
jeff....@swcbbs.com (JEFF LACKEY) wrote:
>blah, blah, blah<

I've got to tell ya Jeff, even if you have any legitimate points to make,

your on-line demeanor comes across like some of the kids on-line. All
of the comments like the one above, the highly emotive insults to
everyone associated with CGW, the "yah yah" comments. It would be a
lot easier to take your side of the issues seriously if your post were
a bit more calm and adult in nature. As it is, you really are losing
credibility with your over the top flames, you sound like the many kids
that run around the various newsgroups flaming everyone in sight.

Jaybird

JEFF LACKEY

Sep 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/5/95
JD>I've got to tell ya Jeff, even if you have any legitimate points to make,

>your on-line demeanor comes across like some of the kids on-line. All
>of the comments like the one above, the highly emotive insults to
>everyone associated with CGW, the "yah yah" comments. It would be a
>lot easier to take your side of the issues seriously if your post were
>a bit more calm and adult in nature. As it is, you really are losing
>credibility with your over the top flames, you sound like the many kids
>that run around the various newsgroups flaming everyone in sight.

JD>Jaybird

Huh? I suppose quoting my message to you and substituting my name for
yours is, uh, clever? Kinda like when I was twelve and my little
brother would try to irritate me by copying everythng I said, I guess.
Oh, well.

-+jeff+-

* 1st 2.00 #8118 * Great Games Make You Sweat!

uabbr...@cc.memphis.edu

Sep 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/6/95
In article <42hn37$f...@antares.en.com>, Jay...@en.com writes:
> jeff....@swcbbs.com (JEFF LACKEY) wrote:
>>blah, blah, blah<
>

> I've got to tell ya Jeff, even if you have any legitimate points to make,
> your on-line demeanor comes across like some of the kids on-line. All
> of the comments like the one above, the highly emotive insults to
> everyone associated with CGW, the "yah yah" comments. It would be a
> lot easier to take your side of the issues seriously if your post were
> a bit more calm and adult in nature. As it is, you really are losing
> credibility with your over the top flames, you sound like the many kids

As opposed to your case where you have previously lost your credibility?

> that run around the various newsgroups flaming everyone in sight.

Kind of sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

> Jaybird

-Tony

Old Salt

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95
Well I know I said I was not going to buy another CGW mag, well I did. So
sue me. Anyway, what I find really strange about the the "Free, pay the
extra dollar" disk I got. Was you needed Windows to run it. Just so you
could read a few text files about the demos that were on the CD. Now the
text files on the CD said about the demos on the CD "install and run from
DOS" Why the hell did I need to go in to Windows to read text files that
tell me to do every thing from DOS. Come on guys, you can tell me. Does
Bill Gates own Ziff-Davis Publishing?

Robert v Luthardt jr

Sep 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/7/95
In article <42hn37$f...@antares.en.com>, Jay...@en.com wrote:
>jeff....@swcbbs.com (JEFF LACKEY) wrote:
>>blah, blah, blah<
>

>I've got to tell ya Jeff, even if you have any legitimate points to make,
>your on-line demeanor comes across like some of the kids on-line. All
>of the comments like the one above, the highly emotive insults to
>everyone associated with CGW, the "yah yah" comments. It would be a
>lot easier to take your side of the issues seriously if your post were
>a bit more calm and adult in nature. As it is, you really are losing
>credibility with your over the top flames, you sound like the many kids
>that run around the various newsgroups flaming everyone in sight.
>
>Jaybird

Wow.
Now he plagiarizes for FREE!
Used to get paid for it, once upon a time.

Jay...@en.com

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95

Well, as the old saying goes, fool me once CGW, shame on you, fool
me twice, shame on me :) Real scam by CGW, paying the extra dollar to CGW
for a "free" CD.

Robert v Luthardt jr

Sep 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/11/95
In article <42tpfr$s...@antares.en.com>, Jay...@en.com wrote:
>From: Jay...@en.com
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
>Subject: Re: CGW and CD-ROM's
>Date: 10 Sep 1995 04:27:39 GMT

To anyone _else_ who didn't read the explanation of the CD inside the issue of
CGW, (and to anyone who simply looks for every loose thread to pull apart!),
Here is what was said:

(reprinted without permission. sue me, please.)

"...we thought about what we'd like in a Computer Gaming World CD-ROM and came
up with a lot of ideas which you'll see over the next year. As a newsstand
reader, this issue offers a mere glimpse of _some_ of the types of material we
plan to provide, in addition to computer game demos provided by game
publishers. So, think of the Computer Gaming World material on this CD as a
combination teaser/technology demo and let us know if you liked the idea."

For those of you who _still_ don't get it, (or still have a personal need to
nit-pick at every stupid little thing to advance your own, pathetic
insecurities)...

The CD-ROM in this issue of CGW is a _DEMO_ in and of itself! The idea
is to take this tiny sampling of the _proposed_ technology, and give feedback
to CGW about it.
This CD is _NOT_ the final product. It is simply a test CD.

For myself, I thought it was great, even with the need to shell to DOS in
order to play any of the "included" demos.

The far-away BEST feature was the inclusion of the patches. I'd like to see
_ALL_ of them included, and not just a select few. Take the entire patch list
page from the back of the magazine, and put all the current patches on the
CD-ROM.

THAT would be a service WELL WORTH THE EXTRA DOLLAR!

Jay...@en.com

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr) wrote:

>For those of you who _still_ don't get it, (or still have a personal need to
>nit-pick at every stupid little thing to advance your own, pathetic
>insecurities)...
>
> The CD-ROM in this issue of CGW is a _DEMO_ in and of itself! The idea
>is to take this tiny sampling of the _proposed_ technology, and give feedback
>to CGW about it.
>This CD is _NOT_ the final product. It is simply a test CD.
>
>For myself, I thought it was great, even with the need to shell to DOS in
>order to play any of the "included" demos.
>
>The far-away BEST feature was the inclusion of the patches. I'd like to see
>_ALL_ of them included, and not just a select few. Take the entire patch list
>page from the back of the magazine, and put all the current patches on the
>CD-ROM.
>
>THAT would be a service WELL WORTH THE EXTRA DOLLAR!

Hmmm....think its you Robert who _still_ doesnt get it! Folks who
thought that demo was a rip due to the fact they paid extra for that
"free test"CD demo. Not some future fanstasy nit picks of _real_ CD demos
by CGW that might "well be worth the extra dollar"

Old Salt

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr) wrote:

>To anyone _else_ who didn't read the explanation of the CD inside the issue of
>CGW, (and to anyone who simply looks for every loose thread to pull apart!),
>Here is what was said:

I read it!

>(reprinted without permission. sue me, please.)
>
>"...we thought about what we'd like in a Computer Gaming World CD-ROM and came
>up with a lot of ideas which you'll see over the next year. As a newsstand
>reader, this issue offers a mere glimpse of _some_ of the types of material we
>plan to provide, in addition to computer game demos provided by game
>publishers. So, think of the Computer Gaming World material on this CD as a
>combination teaser/technology demo and let us know if you liked the idea."
>

>For those of you who _still_ don't get it, (or still have a personal need to
>nit-pick at every stupid little thing to advance your own, pathetic
>insecurities)...
>
> The CD-ROM in this issue of CGW is a _DEMO_ in and of itself! The idea
>is to take this tiny sampling of the _proposed_ technology, and give feedback
>to CGW about it.
>This CD is _NOT_ the final product. It is simply a test CD.

What demo? All it was, was a shell to access the text files! A pretty menu
that you needed Windows to use. Period!!! Now if it was a real demo, that
did more. Sure, I would agree with you. But it was NOT that.

>For myself, I thought it was great, even with the need to shell to DOS in
>order to play any of the "included" demos.

Well if you thought that was great, then I can understand your view.
Personally I like the fact I can shell out of windows when I need to run a
DOS program to get info on something I am using windows for. But I never
run Windows just so I can run a Dos program. Why bother?

>The far-away BEST feature was the inclusion of the patches. I'd like to see
>_ALL_ of them included, and not just a select few. Take the entire patch list
>page from the back of the magazine, and put all the current patches on the
>CD-ROM.
>
>THAT would be a service WELL WORTH THE EXTRA DOLLAR!

On this point I will agree with you 100%

___ ___

| | | |
=====[______] =====[______] | | | | [______]======

****************old-...@li.net**********SEAS*P-38*CK****************

Old Salt

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Jay...@en.com wrote:

>Hmmm....think its you Robert who _still_ doesnt get it! Folks who
>thought that demo was a rip due to the fact they paid extra for that
>"free test"CD demo. Not some future fanstasy nit picks of _real_ CD demos
>by CGW that might "well be worth the extra dollar"

Yes, thanks for bring it up. My bitch about the $1 was for the Windows 95
CD only!!!! My bitch about about Sept issue was the need to run Windows
just to read text files that tells me everything should be done from DOS.
It was not a demo, just a damn menu. That I needed windows to use.

Robert v Luthardt jr

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
From: Jay...@en.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 23:00:12 -0400
To: luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr)

Subject: Re: CGW and CD-ROM's
Hi..thanks but no thanks to your own personal need to nit pick at every
stupid little thing that you love about CGW that advances your own pathetic
insecurities. Fact is, that FREE "test CD" was a rip off in the present, and
has zippo to do with your future fantasies
of their CD's. Love and Kisses

-------------

Hollywood taught us that in space, nobody can hear you scream.
Jaybird taught me that in email, nobody can hear you act like a moron.

Your many childish email "taunts" are not appreciated, Levine.

And they will _not_ frighten me away from usenet.
I'm a grown up, you see.

chris

Sep 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/12/95
Instead of whining about how bad CGW's mag is/was, why don't you go to the
newstand and pick up a current copy of PC Gamer (CD edition). They've been CD
for awhile now and everything works great! FYI, I picked up the Sept. issue
of CGW for the Magic Carpet 2 demo (it also had High Octane - and that's ALL
it had!). 1 week later I get my Oct. issue of PC Gamer in the mail and on the
CD it had:

* Magic Carpet 2
* Hi-Octane
* Primal Rage
* Entomorph
* Powerhouse
* FX Fighter
* Need for Speed
* Skyborg
* Apache Longbow
* Prisoner of Ice
* Witchaven
* Pinball Illusions
* Ultimate Football '95

...it also had AOL software (woohoo), Imagination, genie and dwango stuff
on it. But I thought the games included with the CD were quite impressive.
Check 'em out! Itsa good mag. (the reviews are great, too....but that's a
whole nuther topic...)

Chris

Jay...@en.com

Sep 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/13/95
Robert v Luthardt wrote:

>Hollywood taught us that in space, nobody can hear you scream.
>Jaybird taught me that in email, nobody can hear you act like a moron.

>Your many childish email "taunts" are not appreciated, Levine.

>And they will _not_ frighten me away from usenet.
>I'm a grown up, you see.

Ah, lets just see who is the child...recieved an e-mail
from you:

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 17:13:43 -0400
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
From: luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr)
To: Jay...@en.com

>....For those of you who _still_ don't get it, (or still have a personal

>need to nit-pick at every stupid little thing to advance your own, pathetic
>insecurities)...

Robert v Luthardt jr*luth...@clark.net*http://www.clark.net/pub/luthardt

So you see Robbie, my similar e-mail reply to you was to tell YOU
Robert Luthardt, that in e-mail or public, everybody can hear you as
a moron. You childish e-mail taunts to me are not appreciated
either, Luthardt. Nor frighten me from the Usenet. If you dont
like getting childish e-mail, then dont send it in the first place!

Robert v Luthardt jr

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
In article <437mek$4...@antares.en.com>, Jay...@en.com wrote:
>From: Jay...@en.com
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic

>Subject: Re: CGW and CD-ROM's
>Date: 13 Sep 1995 22:37:08 GMT

It's called a RECIEPT you internet inept prodigy graduate.

In some circles, it's considered polite to reciept any followups to the
mailbox of the original author, thus saving them the need to glean the
newsgroup to read any replies/responses to thier own articles.

In case you've not noticed, there was not reciept in your mailbox for this
post.

It's obvious they confuse the hell out of you. I don't want the Internet to
become so difficult for a codger like yourself to keep track of, that you drop
offline, and return to your daily game of checkers at the local barber shop as
your only means of social interaction.

The Child,

Robert v Luthardt jr*luth...@clark.net*http://www.clark.net/pub/luthardt

Jay...@en.com

Sep 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/15/95
luth...@clark.net wrote:

>It's called a RECIEPT you internet inept prodigy graduate.
>In some circles, it's considered polite to reciept any followups to the
>mailbox of the original author, thus saving them the need to glean the
>newsgroup to read any replies/responses to thier own articles.
>In case you've not noticed, there was not reciept in your mailbox for this
>post.
>It's obvious they confuse the hell out of you. I don't want the Internet to
>become so difficult for a codger like yourself to keep track of, that you

>dropoffline, and return to your daily game of checkers at the local barber

>shop as your only means of social interaction.

>The Child,

>Robert v Luthardt jr http://www.total.loser

Who is inept? You posted a personal attack to me on this Newsgroup
CGW CD ROM thread and then at the same tine had the same low class of
e-mailing me the same note! As I said before, Child, you dont like
receiving the same, now do you?...wah, wah, wah, wah!
Its you who is confused and needs to return to your daily game
of hanging cheap wallpaper to support your low class Intenet
posting habit and low class social interaction.
A CGW CD R.I.P. to you, as I now return you to your sandbox.

Robert Trifts

Sep 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/18/95
luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr) wrote:

>The far-away BEST feature was the inclusion of the patches. I'd like to see
>_ALL_ of them included, and not just a select few. Take the entire patch list
>page from the back of the magazine, and put all the current patches on the
>CD-ROM.

>THAT would be a service WELL WORTH THE EXTRA DOLLAR!

Agreed. The entire patch file ought to be on the disc, monthly.

This would be of inestimable value to CGW's readers.

.Robert

rtr...@idirect.com

Buddy Knight

Sep 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/19/95
In article <ragnaroek1995Se...@news2.compulink.com>,
rtr...@idirect.com says...

>luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr) wrote:
>
>>The far-away BEST feature was the inclusion of the patches. I'd like to see
>>_ALL_ of them included, and not just a select few. Take the entire patch
list
>>page from the back of the magazine, and put all the current patches on the
>>CD-ROM.
>
>>THAT would be a service WELL WORTH THE EXTRA DOLLAR!
>
>Agreed. The entire patch file ought to be on the disc, monthly.

Or, you can d/l patches from the CGW web site. Go to

http://www.zdnet.com/~gaming/

Regards,
Buddy Knight
Paveway Programs "One Bomb - One Target"
Texas Instruments
fm...@msg.ti.com (W) Live the Golden Rule!
haw...@texoma.com (H)
Opinions expressed are mine & not my employer's or my wife's.

Robert v Luthardt jr

Sep 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/23/95
With the assistance of an infinite number of monkeys, <d...@rahul.net>
wrote:

>i.com>
>Buddy Knight (fm...@msg.ti.com) wrote:
>: In article <ragnaroek1995Se...@news2.compulink.com>,

>: rtr...@idirect.com says...
>: >
>: >luth...@clark.net (Robert v Luthardt jr) wrote:
>: >
>: >>The far-away BEST feature was the inclusion of the patches. I'd like
>: >>to see _ALL_ of them included, and not just a select few. Take the
>: >>entire patch : list page from the back of the magazine, and put all
>: >>the current patches on the CD-ROM.
>: >
>: >>THAT would be a service WELL WORTH THE EXTRA DOLLAR!
>: >
>: >Agreed. The entire patch file ought to be on the disc, monthly.
>: >
>: Or, you can d/l patches from the CGW web site. Go to
>

>Or you could just subscribe to PC Gamer and get all the latest demos and
>patches off of their CD (that they have been running for quite some time
>now).
>--
> <d...@rahul.net>

I would if Computer Gaming World were not so much better.

Clay Cahill

Sep 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/25/95
fm...@msg.ti.com (Buddy Knight) wrote:

>Or, you can d/l patches from the CGW web site. Go to
>

> http://www.zdnet.com/~gaming/

NO, you can't. At least not all of them. Last I checked, they had
pointers to ftp sites (not checked in couple of months, could be
different now). I'd like to see them keep them at zdnet.com so that I
would always know where to go and not have to deal with access denied
messages.

Clay-

-Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistibuting this work in any form,
in whole or in part. Copyright, Clayton A. Cahill, 1995
-License to distribute this post is available for $1,000. Posting
without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.
-Please send notices of violation to postm...@microsoft.com